Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Interview With Tito Ortiz (Audio)

Print  
Posted By Message

Cobbs666

Standup Guy

Cobbs666 Avatar

Career:1,063-740
Camp: *TeaM SaTaN*
Chips:
This interview was brought to my attention by Gary Alexander of TheMMAShow.com. The Tito Ortiz portion of the podcast starts at around the 27 minute mark and is full of good information. Here are some highlights. Listen to the audio below.

http://www.ufccountdown.com/news/tito-ortiz-lets-it-all-hang-out-audio/

Post #1   7/30/07 10:38:36PM   

abash222

Learning to Sprawl

Career:400-211
Camp: abash
Chips:
tito is tight

Post #2   7/30/07 11:29:33PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by abash222

tito is tight

they need to just realize tito is the man and draws many fans to the sport.

Post #3   7/31/07 1:05:02AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I don't think anyone disputes it. I think what people dispute is his skill.

Post #4   7/31/07 1:08:01AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
No, it's his desire. I know he's talented, but in all honesty I think TUF 3 ruind him, he could be one of the best coaches in the world and I think that experience got him thinking about life after fighting.

Post #5   7/31/07 1:17:30AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I don't deny that tito brings in plenty of spectators or that he is a skilled fighter even as he heads into the downward slope of his career, I think the issue is simply that many people, including myself, hate his entire attitude and persona. He's good but he's just really obnoxious and annoying, so I don't like him. If people don't like someone they will say anything they can to insult that person, regardless of if they believe it's true. Personally I try to be objective and just say I hate the guy but yes, he's good at whatever he does, most people won't do that, which is why I think you hear people say the things they do about him.

Post #6   7/31/07 2:32:17AM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

I don't deny that tito brings in plenty of spectators or that he is a skilled fighter even as he heads into the downward slope of his career, I think the issue is simply that many people, including myself, hate his entire attitude and persona. He's good but he's just really obnoxious and annoying, so I don't like him. If people don't like someone they will say anything they can to insult that person, regardless of if they believe it's true. Personally I try to be objective and just say I hate the guy but yes, he's good at whatever he does, most people won't do that, which is why I think you hear people say the things they do about him.

hes only 32!!

Post #7   7/31/07 3:17:07AM   

SpiderSilva

1/31/15 a Legend returns

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,904-1,184
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
that 1st takedown in the Rashad fight was the shit

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #8   7/31/07 7:08:27PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
what does him being 32 have ANYTHING to do with my post? If you're talking about my comment about him being on the downward slope of his career that really has nothing to do with age. He is still one of the best LHWs out there but the sport is beginning to out-evolve him... it has nothing to do with him being too old to compete, it has to do with his desire to improve and continue being on top. He's not going to see another belt, and he's not improving while the fighters around him are.

Post #9   8/1/07 11:18:15AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

what does him being 32 have ANYTHING to do with my post? If you're talking about my comment about him being on the downward slope of his career that really has nothing to do with age. He is still one of the best LHWs out there but the sport is beginning to out-evolve him... it has nothing to do with him being too old to compete, it has to do with his desire to improve and continue being on top. He's not going to see another belt, and he's not improving while the fighters around him are.

I think he is improving. It was pretty universally agreed that Tito's stand-up looked a hell of a lot better against Chuck in their second fight as well as his stand-up against Forrest Griffin.

Post #10   8/1/07 7:36:47PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

How do you fiure its out evolving him???he got hurt in the evans fight and he put up a damn good fight against chuck.the best ive seen in a while.

Post #11   8/1/07 11:54:53PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
Like I said, I still think he's a top fighter, but he seems to rely too much on one aspect of his game, and it just seems to me that the fighters around him are improving at a higher pace that he doesn't seem to be keeping up with. He doesn't seem to have the same desire and intensity during his fights that he did back in the days when he tooled people like wandy and a pre-crazy evan tanner. It just seems like the people around him are improving at a higher pace. I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, that's just how I see it.

Post #12   8/2/07 2:25:44AM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

Like I said, I still think he's a top fighter, but he seems to rely too much on one aspect of his game, and it just seems to me that the fighters around him are improving at a higher pace that he doesn't seem to be keeping up with. He doesn't seem to have the same desire and intensity during his fights that he did back in the days when he tooled people like wandy and a pre-crazy evan tanner. It just seems like the people around him are improving at a higher pace. I'm not trying to be insulting or anything, that's just how I see it.

Well, the way I lookat it is that if you are talking about the top guys out evolving him... maybe but I remember not too long ago people were touting Rashad Evans as the future of the division. Against Tito, Rashad couldn't really do anything until the final 10 seconds of the fight. Not to mention that Tito was hurt the seocnd half of that fight. Against Forrest he went from dominating him in the first round with total ground and pound ownage to out boxing him in the third round. Against Chuck although he got his ass beat, he was able to pull out a winning round in round number 2 and I myself believe he could have pulled out a win had the fight not been called from strikes to the arm. Chuck was gassing in that fight and Tito was in perfect spot on shape. Anyway, it's all speculation but even with the new talent in the division I don't see him beeing severely outclassed. On any given day he could pull out a win against Shogun, and Wanderlei. Henderson and Jackson I think are the only ones that will give him trouble and even Jackson might not be as hard as some people think. He has a weak clinch and Tito's clinch is pretty damn good.

Post #13   8/2/07 3:18:00PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by nubby

Posted by Aether

Well, the way I lookat it is that if you are talking about the top guys out evolving him... maybe but I remember not too long ago people were touting Rashad Evans as the future of the division. Against Tito, Rashad couldn't really do anything until the final 10 seconds of the fight. Not to mention that Tito was hurt the seocnd half of that fight. Against Forrest he went from dominating him in the first round with total ground and pound ownage to out boxing him in the third round. Against Chuck although he got his ass beat, he was able to pull out a winning round in round number 2 and I myself believe he could have pulled out a win had the fight not been called from strikes to the arm. Chuck was gassing in that fight and Tito was in perfect spot on shape. Anyway, it's all speculation but even with the new talent in the division I don't see him beeing severely outclassed. On any given day he could pull out a win against Shogun, and Wanderlei. Henderson and Jackson I think are the only ones that will give him trouble and even Jackson might not be as hard as some people think. He has a weak clinch and Tito's clinch is pretty damn good.

Thankyou i agree

Post #14   8/2/07 5:28:35PM