Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 78: Andrei Arlovski vs. Brandon Vera?

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
Arvlovski will knock out a over eager and ring rust Vera's in the first round
If I remember it was only a year ago when Arvovlski looked invincible
do you really think he wont find that aggressive form again

Vera is good dont get me wrong I think he is the future of the LHW division
but this one will go alot like the AA vs. Paul Buentello fight

Post #16   7/30/07 2:21:33PM   

Violentcuv

In Full Mount

Violentcuv Avatar

Career:828-495
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
I hope the UFC makes this happen.
We have been talking about this possible matchup for months.

I like Vera is this match. Going against the crowd with this one.

Post #17   7/30/07 2:21:53PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Look at it like this Arlovski beat Werdum. Werdum the only guy to beat Gonzaga. Vera doesnt have that, where he has made a name he's just undefeated.

Post #18   7/30/07 2:29:55PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I'm going with Vera. He's agressive, very good striker and a very good wrestler. Arlovski was a champion but I don't think he has looked all that impressive lately.

Post #19   7/30/07 3:08:44PM   

kimoron

MMA Regular

kimoron Avatar

Career:687-420
Chips:
hopefully arlovski shows up, that seems to have been a problem for him given his last few fights.

Post #20   7/30/07 3:12:22PM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:

Posted by elysianwing

The one good thing about AA's next fight is this

No matter who it is, he will be in serious trouble.

Why? because AA is in a MUST win fight, and coasting to a w likely will just be considered a loss by the ufc. He has ONE fight left on his contract, if he loses an uneventful fight by dec, thats probably the last you'll see of him. If he wins an uneventful fight by dec, thats probably the last you'll see of him.

If he puts on a GOOD fight and gets stopped by whoever, he'll probably still be resigned. If he puts on a good fight and finishes it, he'll definitely be resigned.

Its without a doubt a fight(no matter who his opponant is) that AA is going to be unable to coast through if he wants to keep his job.

So, my theory is....regardless of who he is fighting next, they are in some major f*cking trouble...because AA will be trying to decapitate them I think.

I don't think Arlovsky will have trouble resigning his contract. He is a former HW champ and the UFC will keep recycling him until he's 60. Just look at what they are doing with Frank Mir or Chris Leben.

Post #21   7/30/07 3:21:41PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by nubby

I'm going with Vera. He's agressive, very good striker and a very good wrestler. Arlovski was a champion but I don't think he has looked all that impressive lately.

vera is NOT a good striker or good wrestler. hes decent but not good.

eveyrone has to remember. Arlovski fought a BORING fight against werdum not a bad fight. Arlovksi did everything needed to win and did it great. Being boring doesnt mean bad by any means.

Post #22   7/30/07 3:30:18PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by nubby

eveyrone has to remember. Arlovski fought a BORING fight against werdum not a bad fight. Arlovksi did everything needed to win and did it great. Being boring doesnt mean bad by any means.

Um, you don't think Vera's striking is good? His Muy Thai seemed pretty damn impressive to me.

Post #23   7/30/07 3:48:57PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by nubby

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by nubby

Um, you don't think Vera's striking is good? His Muy Thai seemed pretty damn impressive to me.

nope. not a bit. this guy is overreated in every aspect in mma

Post #24   7/30/07 3:50:09PM   

Porch28

BANNED

Porch28 Avatar

Career:506-292
Chips:

Posted by Untouchable

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Vera is a piece of shit. Calling out chuck liddell. Hope he gets his ass knocked out. Overrated.

Is Chuck related to you?? I don't know why you'd call Vera such names. He would KO Chuck in one round, with ease. AA is the one that's overrated. The UFC HW division was filled with nobodies and he took over knocking out cans. Watch his fight vs Rizzo...AA is not an elite or world class fighter. Vera will destroy him. You heard it here first.

Well put. All these people that put Vera down really don't know talent when they see it. If your going to call someone overrated you would have to start with Arlovski based on his last 4 fights. Vera will dominate and you can count on that...

Post #25   7/30/07 4:01:27PM   

elysianwing

MMA Regular

Career:1,205-789
Camp: Hands Of Fury
Chips:

Posted by silverbullet

I don't think Arlovsky will have trouble resigning his contract. He is a former HW champ and the UFC will keep recycling him until he's 60. Just look at what they are doing with Frank Mir or Chris Leben.

I disagree, ufc and/or new-mma fans are quite fickle. "Mir is a joke" "Leben is worthless" "Sylvia is garbage" "Gonzaga is #1 in the world" "CC was exposed" etc etc

Mir and Leben are both on their way out of the ufc for good I think(unless they start winning) there is no reason to believe that if AA loses he'll be picked back up.

Ex-champ or not, he isn't a great speaker...he has lost 90% of his hype....he isn't a title-holder.....if he can't get an impressive win, a huge majority of fans will not miss him if he doesn't come back.(personally, I would)

So why would/should the ufc waste money picking his contract back up?

Look at Shamrock for example...love him or hate him, this is a guy who STILL draws massive amounts of interest, who still wants to fight, what does dana say? he isn't a ufc fighter anymore, he isn't on the same level as ufc fighters anymore....etc etc

That is a guy that makes them MONEY.....and the ufc wants nothing to do with him anymore.

I wouldn't be shocked if Vera, AA, Sylvia, and the rest of the fighters that were in the previously shallow hw division were never heard from again (assuming they lose respectively).

If they win their fights, thats another story....

Post #26   7/30/07 4:53:26PM   

pharside

MMA Regular

pharside Avatar

Career:346-216
Chips:
Vera would smash AA.

Post #27   7/30/07 5:03:38PM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
i'm hoping for this fight. neither guy is at the top of the heavyweight division if you ask me. whoever wins though, will definitely help themselves in becoming a top contender.

Post #28   7/30/07 5:52:24PM   

sickosouza

Learning to Sprawl

Career:335-218
Chips:
I personally would love to see this fight.I think if Vera can utilize his thai clinch and knees and stay away from the takedown he's got a good chance. Arlovski on the other hand is a pit bull.I know he hasn't shown it lately but I think if he can beat Vera ,who I still consider to be a top contender,should put him close to a title shot.I pick Andrei.He's got too much expierience. I would love to see him fight Fedor.

Post #29   7/30/07 6:47:19PM   

masodd

BANNED

masodd Avatar

Career:283-181
Chips:
Brandon Vera by tko in any round or decision(especially if AA comes in not to lose)

Post #30   7/30/07 7:20:50PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4