Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chuck Liddell chose to Fight Jardine.

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Link
Little suprising

Post #1   7/28/07 11:50:05AM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
The least dangerous fight for Chuck. The only problem is that he now has everything to lose on this. If Jardine who comes off an almost embarrassing loss beats or knocks out Liddell his days as being considered top 5 in the LHW division are numbered.
If Nakamura or Shogun beat him the UFC could claim these guys to be monsters who no one should be ashamed of losing to and then starting promoting them as such and Liddell would still be considered a warrior among the casual fans.
Same with Lyoto. The guy is undefeated and there's no shame in losing to an undefeated up and comer when you're 37 years old.

Jardine just got layed out and embarrassed on the main card of a PPV so I don't see what Chuck could gain from beating him....

Post #2   7/28/07 12:16:24PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
I mean I would have rather seen Lyoto vs Chuck but Jardine vs Chuck is still fine for me because Jardine does have some knock out and could possibly catch chuck.

The only thing I see chuck gaining from this fight is his confidence back and I guess it somewhat moves him up in the rankings with a win. You know like some guys for example matt hughes beat this guy you got a title shot. So maybe chuck see's this as a win and a closer easier way back to the title.

Oh also chuck may have taken this fight because he wanted to fight in November too and maybe jardine is his best way to have that happen.

Post #3   7/28/07 12:25:04PM   

Fedor-Emelianenko

Learning to Sprawl

Career:658-413
Camp: Red Devil Sport Club
Chips:
Liddell most likely took an "easy" fight because he plans for a tougher opponent later this year and will need to be in his best condition without any injuries for that fight. Liddell vs. Jardine is 99% a safe fight for Liddell to take.

Post #4   7/28/07 1:45:20PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I think he just wants to start slow getting back to the top. No sense in going straight for a Top 10 opponent after getting KTFO'd in the first round. It was a smart move picking a guy who was a striker. I think we will see Liddell start fighting more and more strikers on his way back up(or on his way to retirement)in preparation to fight the best LHW strikers like Shogun and Rampage.

Post #5   7/28/07 1:49:59PM   

JuggaloRyda5666

Learning to Sprawl

JuggaloRyda5666 Avatar

Career:616-397
Camp: Hatchet House
Chips:
liddell would beat lyoto and nakamura anyways

Last edited 7/28/07 1:55PM server time by juggaloryda5666
Edit note/reason: wrong name

Post #6   7/28/07 1:54:09PM   

JuggaloWarrior878

Juggalo 4 Life

JuggaloWarrior878 Avatar

Career:2,637-1,533
Camp: Hatchet House
Chips:
liddell is going to make a statement about this just like franklin did, saying the ufc told him those are the fights on the table then the ufc decided jardine would be best., plus im pretty sure liddell would win against lyoto via decision and nakamura probably decision too.but the ufc probably wants chuck to highlight reel ko jardine so they can remind everyone that chuck is still a badass and keep him very marketable.

Post #7   7/28/07 1:56:28PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by JuggaloRyda5666

liddell would beat lyoto and nakamura anyways

I'd pick Machida....as for this article.....wooooooow.

Post #8   7/28/07 2:02:09PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
the only thing i dont like about this article is that it makes it out to sound like chuck ducked wanderlei instead of wanderlei ducking chuck, when in truth neither ducked each other. wanderlei's reasons for not fighting chuck in december were that he had a lot going on in his life now and couldnt focus on the fight completely, which is completely understandable and IMO better in the long run. the article makes it sound like chuck ducked wanderlei by picking jardine but how do they know that chuck picked jardine after the wanderlei fight fell through? as for chuck picking jardine instead of lyoto... that is surprising but chuck has always been one to just get back into the game ASAP and im sure he just didnt want to risk ruining his career, cuz if he loses his next fight we can just forget about him and wanderlei ever happening.

Post #9   7/28/07 2:35:06PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Chips:
No I dont think it sounds like Chuck ducked Silva, because I think chuck picked jardine after he knew the silva fight was going to be off. But hey think of it like this jardine could KO chuck but think if chuck doesnt get hurt in this fight maybe we could see Liddell fight again In November verus Silva or Machida. or someone.

Post #10   7/28/07 3:01:54PM   

Piccosaur

MMA Regular

Piccosaur Avatar

Career:3-1
Camp: RB Fighting Systems
Chips:
The original source is MMAscoops.com? I don't even believe this and I won't untill it's on a great source. Usually fighters have no say in who their fighting after they come off of a loss.

Post #11   7/28/07 3:06:46PM   

LHK

MMA Regular

LHK Avatar

Career:8-4
Chips:
Liddell is a pro fighter. Its mostly Dana's fault he was a paper champion, not his own, he wants to prove himself like any other fighter. I think Dana is to blame in this case as well. He offered Silva a September or November fight date. Silva took Nov. Neither fighter ducked.

And Nakamura and Lyoto could both take Liddell. They are much better technical fighters and Chuck has been exposed several times now. He has one dimension and it only works against wrestlers. And why doubt Machida? Hasn't he ALWAYS done what he had to do regardless of his opponent. He should be the favorite against anyone....if he was fighting Shogun that is the hardest pick.

Last edited 7/28/07 4:17PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   7/28/07 3:22:22PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by LHK

Liddell is a pro fighter. Its mostly Dana's fault he was a paper champion, not his own, he wants to prove himself like any other fighter. I think Dana is to blame in this case as well. He offered Silva a September or November fight date. Silva took Nov. Neither fighter ducks, Dana is just an idiot.

And Nakamura and Lyoto could both take Liddell. They are much better technical fighters and Chuck has been exposed several times now. He has one dimension and it only works against wrestlers. And why doubt Machida? Hasn't he ALWAYS done what he had to do regardless of his opponent. He should be the favorite against anyone....if he was fighting Shogun that is the hardest pick.

Paper champ? Riiiiiight.

Post #13   7/28/07 4:07:07PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:

Posted by LHK

Liddell is a pro fighter. Its mostly Dana's fault he was a paper champion, not his own, he wants to prove himself like any other fighter. I think Dana is to blame in this case as well. He offered Silva a September or November fight date. Silva took Nov. Neither fighter ducks, Dana is just an idiot.

Liddell was no paper champ...... he knocked out everyone they put in front of him. He beat some very good fighters. BabaluX2, Couture X2, Ortiz X2, & Horn.

I will give you the fact that he might have gotten a little sloppy with his technique since he has fought so many "wrestlers". Give all the credit to Rampage for taking advantage of a mistake. Liddell will be back. I'm looking forward to seeing him make a run at the title again.

Post #14   7/28/07 4:13:27PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by LHK

Liddell is a pro fighter. Its mostly Dana's fault he was a paper champion, not his own, he wants to prove himself like any other fighter. I think Dana is to blame in this case as well. He offered Silva a September or November fight date. Silva took Nov. Neither fighter ducked.

Paper Champion??? He fought everyone who was someone in the UFC. He fought for the UFC. But he also went to pride and fought. He was 2-1 in Pride. BOth victory's were gainst strikers. Please explain to me how he wa a paper champion when he fought what the UFC had to offer.

You don't have to like Chuck. But I read post after post from you where you are putting down the UFC, Chuck, or Dana. It gets really old dude. There are rules against fighter bashing or promoter bashing. Read the Code of Conduct rule #2.

I really don't think that Nakamura or Lyoto could take Chuck. But then again that's just my opinion so please don't call be a idiot, stupid or dumb

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #15   7/28/07 4:23:48PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3