Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

10 Biggest Underachievers in MMA

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MoJoy

Banned again

Career:93-38
Chips:
Absolutely 100% off target list. When reading it and hearing off Joe Riggs, and underachieving I immediately knew it was a poorly written column. If you watch MMA Joe Riggs sucks. BJ Penn sort of, had he not broken a rib he probably would have beaten Hughes twice, losing to Machida and GSP, and in admirable fashion is no joke, they are a lot bigger than him The only true underachiever on that whole list the only person is Carter Williams. Oh my god, Evan Tanner,Loiseau? They overachieved. Randleman, he did as best he could. He simply cannot make himself that great of a striker, why is it that just cause he is such a good wrestler, he's suppossed to also become a great striker. He's also had a very nice career. Mir was very good, and had a horrible accident. Put that with him in a loaded heavywieght division this is what you get. Joe Riggs, I mean come on. What credibility does that have? Overeem and Belfort have had great careers and still have more to go. This is one of the most laughable column period I have read. Jammer.

Post #16   7/27/07 2:51:40AM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
belfort has lived up to his true potential? evan tanner overachieved? randleman could not have achieved more if he would have focused differently during training? i really dont know where you are coming from with this post. and joe riggs sucks? well your basing that on the fights you have seen which is exactly the point. he cant seem to get it together in the ring. everyone he trains with seems to think he is an absolute beast and my guess is that they have more insight into the situation than you do.

Post #17   7/27/07 6:31:06AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
The article is not saying they are washed up or can't do it anymore. They are saying in their last few fights they haven't been fighting up to thier potenial or their previous level. Basically they are saying they need to get their heads out of their asses and go back to fighting like they use to before the sport passes them by.

Post #18   7/27/07 7:45:12AM   

gspgnp

MMA Regular

gspgnp Avatar

Career:212-117
Chips:
You can't put Mir on that list. It's not considered underachieving if someone runs a red light and destroys your leg, it's considered terrible luck! The old Mir had a chance to beat anybody on any night but when you shatter your femur, it's kind of hard to be as flexible as you use to. Without flexibility, you can basically throw almost all BJJ submissions and sweeps out the window.

Vitor however is sitting right at the top of list where he belongs.

Post #19   7/27/07 8:23:39AM   

jahdoug

MMA Regular

jahdoug Avatar

Career:376-251
Chips:
Even though he is one of my favorite fighters due to his good ol' days fights, Belfort belongs on this list. But he's kind of like Mir in that horrible stuff happened to him to throw his career off. If his sister hadnt been kidnapped and presumed dead he may not have lost such focus. Also had he not broken his hand while bashing sakuraba into oblivion he would have forced a stoppage and continued a great run in pride.

Post #20   7/27/07 9:18:19AM   

Chris_Keppel

Banned

Career:51-37
Chips:
I 99% agree with this guy....

But Frank Mir is not a good commentator... he annoys me as he nuthugs the fighters he wants to win, like Uriah (spelling?) Faber..

Even if Faber is getting beat up he nuthugs him...

"Faber's doing a great job taking punches!"

"Faber doing a good job on getting took down, he's great!!"

Hell, I bet if he lost....

"Faber took that beating like a champion, he's my hero and a real champ!"

Kind of annoying.

Post #21   7/27/07 10:33:48AM   

masodd

BANNED

masodd Avatar

Career:283-181
Chips:
cro cop should definately be on the list........what has he acheived nothing and he is a good striker,but he is stupid because he wont train in a cage and make a effort because he thinks he is too good,thats why he got beat down by gonzaga because in a ring there is no way u can push somebody up against the ropes and pound them but in a cage u can,so when that happened it made him weak and dazed then we all seen a b-e-a-utiful right high kick right to the temple(i was pumped after that)

Post #22   7/27/07 11:01:29AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by masodd

cro cop should definately be on the list........what has he acheived nothing

Besides beating some of the best talent the sport has to offer and winning the OWGP, not much

Posted by masodd

he is a good striker,but he is stupid because he wont train in a cage and make a effort because he thinks he is too good,thats why he got beat down by gonzaga because

He started training in a cage...and what makes you think it's because he thought he was too good for it?

Posted by masodd

cro cop should definately be on the list.

Why? Because he had 1 bad performance? If he had a running streak of losses, you would maybe have a point. He won the OWGP less than a year ago and has 1 loss since...so how would you possibly justify a statement like that?

Post #23   7/27/07 12:29:41PM   

elysianwing

MMA Regular

Career:1,205-789
Camp: Hands Of Fury
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by masodd

cro cop should definately be on the list........what has he acheived nothing

Besides beating some of the best talent the sport has to offer and winning the OWGP, not much

Posted by masodd

he is a good striker,but he is stupid because he wont train in a cage and make a effort because he thinks he is too good,thats why he got beat down by gonzaga because

He started training in a cage...and what makes you think it's because he thought he was too good for it?

Posted by masodd

cro cop should definately be on the list.

Why? Because he had 1 bad performance? If he had a running streak of losses, you would maybe have a point. He won the OWGP less than a year ago and has 1 loss since...so how would you possibly justify a statement like that?

I'm not saying I agree with him, because I don't really, but I can see where arguments for CC underachieving could be true.

If instead of looking at his records/accomplishments, you look at the fights and his demeanor/attitude during the fights, even when he was completely destroying people....I don't think one could say he was completely serious.

CC has a problem of being apathetic to fights, maybe for some he doesn't train as hard as he should, for others he doesn't seem to be interested in the fight, DURING the fight. Example : see the Eddie Sanchez fight...the entire fight, he looked lazy and uninterested....while Eddie looked like he was seconds away from pissing his pants.

In any case, if one was defining underachieving by comparing a person to himself(at his 'proven' best), CC could be called an underachiever I think.

Post #24   7/27/07 12:51:01PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by elysianwing

I'm not saying I agree with him, because I don't really, but I can see where arguments for CC underachieving could be true.

If instead of looking at his records/accomplishments, you look at the fights and his demeanor/attitude during the fights, even when he was completely destroying people....I don't think one could say he was completely serious.

CC has a problem of being apathetic to fights, maybe for some he doesn't train as hard as he should, for others he doesn't seem to be interested in the fight, DURING the fight. Example : see the Eddie Sanchez fight...the entire fight, he looked lazy and uninterested....while Eddie looked like he was seconds away from pissing his pants.

In any case, if one was defining underachieving by comparing a person to himself(at his 'proven' best), CC could be called an underachiever I think.

I will say that from time to time CC isn't as focused as he should be, but his proven best was less than a year ago. He's had 2 fights since then. The first one was against a guy that ran from him for 4 minutes. If CC seemed uninterested, it was for good reason...he wants to fight top talent. And then there's his last fight. He was obviously not all there mentally, but 1 match doesn't define your career...nor should it put you on this list.

Post #25   7/27/07 1:50:28PM   

elysianwing

MMA Regular

Career:1,205-789
Camp: Hands Of Fury
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

I will say that from time to time CC isn't as focused as he should be, but his proven best was less than a year ago. He's had 2 fights since then. The first one was against a guy that ran from him for 4 minutes. If CC seemed uninterested, it was for good reason...he wants to fight top talent. And then there's his last fight. He was obviously not all there mentally, but 1 match doesn't define your career...nor should it put you on this list.

Agreed. Like I said though, I don't really agree with his statement CC should be on the list...but I think that is probably what he was basing it on.

Post #26   7/27/07 2:18:10PM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,699-1,174
Chips:
As soon as i saw the post Vitor came to mind
I laughed when i saw him at number 1.

Post #27   7/27/07 4:38:22PM   

kimoron

MMA Regular

kimoron Avatar

Career:687-420
Chips:
i agree with the list for the most part except for penn and riggs. penn has much more promise ahead of him then any other guy on the list. its safe to say that most of those guys are done but penn is anything but that. riggs being on the list made me laugh. an underachiever is someone that shows signs of greatness but for some reason starts to go down hill. riggs has never shown any signs of greatness. he sucks. his biggest win was against nick diaz but he only won because of shitty judging.

Post #28   7/27/07 7:04:35PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

I don't know how you can say a man is underachieving while he wrestles up a weight class and has actually won the title there.

Last edited 7/27/07 11:00PM server time by DevonFoxy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #29   7/27/07 11:00:08PM   

Piccosaur

MMA Regular

Piccosaur Avatar

Career:3-1
Camp: RB Fighting Systems
Chips:
Great list and if Randleman is really going to make a comeback man am I excited.

Post #30   7/28/07 1:11:04AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2