Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

FightSport Mag's "5 to beat Fedor"

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by metal_mecca43

its gonna be a no name who gets him... imo.. someone he underestimates

fedor will never fight a no name, even if he retires and comes back 7 times he'll only fight guys that are established

Last edited 7/25/07 11:15AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #31   7/25/07 11:12:19AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

have any other people that have been on here awhile noticed the surging number of posters that are new here and seemingly pretty green to mma?

I have noticed too, but welcome them, we were all new to this MMA thing once, we all had to start learning somewhere. As long as they refrain from Sherdog white belt style posting, its cool that they are here, its a sign that MMA is growing

Post #32   7/25/07 11:17:59AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by cowcatcher

have any other people that have been on here awhile noticed the surging number of posters that are new here and seemingly pretty green to mma?

I have noticed too, but welcome them, we were all new to this MMA thing once, we all had to start learning somewhere. As long as they refrain from Sherdog white belt style posting, its cool that they are here, its a sign that MMA is growing

notice i removed that part in an edit, i didnt want to come off as a jerk, but man....it's getting hard not to flame

Post #33   7/25/07 11:22:05AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
sometimes it just so hard to stop from flaming someone

Post #34   7/25/07 11:30:50AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
1. Randy Cotoure
2. Josh Barnett
3. Antonio Silva
4. Gaberiel Gonzaga
5. Brock Lesnar

This list is pretty bad. I mean, we can sit here and say that in MMA, anything can happen, but statistically, Gonzaga is the only one who hasn't had a defining loss to support him not being on the list. But, look at it statistically for a moment, or even just looking at both styles.

Couture is too small to take Fedor. He isn't the biggest fighter, but he is an excellent wrestler, but as we know, Fedor has taken on many great wrestlers and always won. Remarkably, he beat Coleman without ever really taking a hit at all during the entire fight. Couture's record isn't even that impressive, but he is a very good champion to the UFC and definitely their ambassador. Randy is also very susceptible to submissions and has been KO'd by Liddell twice. Fedor is a freak of nature. A lot of critics say his standup is suspect, however, Fedor outstruck CroCop in their matchup. The first round, CroCop had a slight edge, but then gassed. Fedor landed way more punches and proved his standup is very good and his defense was phenomenol when standing.

Barnett is somewhat of a dark horse. A very skilled submission guy, but he was manhandled by CroCop. Barnett seems to gas fairly fast in some of his fights, and is lazy in the standup game after the 1st round in some of his fights. This is horribly bad for someone fight Fedor. He has terrific defense, and terrific understanding of how he can be submitted, and how quickly he can submit you. I believe Barnett would be the closest fight on that list, but I still think Fedor would do away with him in the 1st round.

Most would think Silva is a wildcard, but he isn't. He lost to Pele, who got dropped hard by Fedor's brother, Aleks. Aleks doesn't have close to the amount of ground game that Fedor has, but he does have a somewhat better "standing" standup game. Fedor likes to lean and drop huge bombs, Aleks is more calm and will stand and play the strategy game during standup. If someone like Silva can't beat an overly out of shape Pele, how will he withstand Fedor? Bad choice.

Gonzaga stands a chance, but only because we haven't seen him really in a pinch yet. The Couture fight will challenge that. If he can beat Couture, he has a legitimate shot at Fedor, but we don't know how much more skill Fedor is compared to UFC heavyweights, he may be in a whole different class, in which Gonzaga will get thrashed. Gonzaga has the BJJ background to defend against Fedor, but as we've seen, Fedor has taken down a lot of good BJJ fighters via Submission. It'll be more clear how this may end once Couture/Gonzaga happens.

Brock Lesnar. Give me a break. He's a large guy that looked decent in his debut against a can. He basically smothered the guy. I think Fedor may get underneath him, but as we've seen, he has unbelievably ways of side mounting from in guard, ie. Randleman fight. I think this would be over easily 1st round via submission. Lesnar has some skill, but he needs to learn some type of sumbission defense.

Post #35   7/25/07 11:56:57AM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Arlovski should replace Lesnar. Brock is just too green to handle Fedor, he'd get submitted in the 1st round. At least with Arlovski, he has that dynamite one punch KO and he has a competent ground game.

Man, if Arlovski went back to his werewolf form, even Fedor would have trouble!

Post #36   7/25/07 1:12:24PM   

BigTomZ

MMA Regular

BigTomZ Avatar

Career:280-166
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Lesnar has tremendous physical abilities, but he needs more fights to prove himself and get some experience.

The only person I could see beating Fedor is Couture. He could study Fedor and break his game down and find a way to win. I still wouldn't bet on Couture though.

Post #37   7/25/07 2:56:47PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I have to agree with an earlier post, that Junior Silva could conceivably pose a threat to Fedor... In a year or two...

He's extremely agile for a guy as huge as he is, obviously strong, and has a well rounded fight game...

Don't write this guy off after the controversial loss to Pele (early stoppage IMO), he KO'd Cabbage with relative ease, and while Cabbage may not be the greatest fighter, AA and BigTim couldn't KO him, and there's something to be said about that...

Out of that list, I would honestly think that he has the best chance...

After hearing about Matt Hughes "subbing Brock at will" when he was training with MFS, I wouldn't think he'd stand a chance with a guy like Fedor.
Gonzaga is going to have his hands full with Randy, so I'll have to reserve judgement until then
Barney, I'm just not convinced could pull it off... No real logic behind it, just don't see it happening

Post #38   7/25/07 2:57:09PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Chips:
He KO'd Cabbage, one of the worst fighters that the UFC had for awhile. He literally absorbed punches on his face for round after round. It doesn't matter if he has the power to actually KO Cabbage, he was literally bitchslapped by both Sylvia and Arvloski.

I will agree that the Pele fight was somewhat premature as far as the stoppage goes, I'd have to see more from Silva.

But, with that said, I've heard that Fedor's camp already has a guy up and coming that is pretty dominant himself. His trainers are saying he is as dominant as Fedor, so it'll be interesting to see what the Red Devil Camp starts putting out into the MMA world. Some of these upcoming UFC fighters may have their hands full.

Post #39   7/25/07 4:31:16PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:

Posted by LR

He KO'd Cabbage, one of the worst fighters that the UFC had for awhile. He literally absorbed punches on his face for round after round. It doesn't matter if he has the power to actually KO Cabbage, he was literally bitchslapped by both Sylvia and Arvloski.

I will agree that the Pele fight was somewhat premature as far as the stoppage goes, I'd have to see more from Silva.

But, with that said, I've heard that Fedor's camp already has a guy up and coming that is pretty dominant himself. His trainers are saying he is as dominant as Fedor, so it'll be interesting to see what the Red Devil Camp starts putting out into the MMA world. Some of these upcoming UFC fighters may have their hands full.

im guessing youre talking about the 18 year old kid that the 3 part article mentioned kirill sidelnikov. apparently he isnt going to be fighting full time yet because the crew at red devil doesnt think hes ready yet. also, they never said he was as dominant as fedor, just that hes drawn comparisons to him.....no one is as dominant as fedor come on man.

Post #40   7/25/07 4:35:46PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Chips:
Wow, thanks for the wording clinic. Yes, I meant to say that he resembled Fedor. I haven't personally seen him fight, but it'd be worthwhile to see how he fights in comparison to Fedor.

What's impressive to me is that if new fighters out of Russia use the standup skills that Fedor has used, we may see Russian fighters begin to dominate the sport. I watched the CroCop vs Fedor fight again the other night, and it's evident in the fight that CroCop had one or two good flurries, then Fedor basically dropped huge haymakers on CroCop at will, and usually landed one during each rush he made. He wasn't trying to stand with CroCop either. He'd stay away and then rush in with a flurry of punches to avoid getting kicked. A very smart standup game. It's amazing he considers it his weaker attribute, but then again, his Sambo is world champion class.

Post #41   7/25/07 4:41:39PM   

Piccosaur

MMA Regular

Piccosaur Avatar

Career:3-1
Camp: RB Fighting Systems
Chips:
I'd say Gonzaga has the best chance technique wise, but Barnett or Randy may be able to just control Fedor for a win. I can only picture them three or Cro-Cop beating Fedor.

Post #42   7/25/07 5:09:26PM   

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Career:288-153
Chips:
Gonzaga is definitely a future threat and one of the guys who will be a face in that division in the years to come. Other than him the only man I ever saw posing a threat to him was Pawel Nastula. And to be honest, he would have had to start training for MMA much earlier and be MUCH less shopworn than he is now. No disrespect to P Nasty, he was a hero of mine as a kid, but he's just to old and beat up, I'm glad he retired, hopefully for good. ( But he's STILL the man, and would have ruled MMA like no other had he not stuck with Judo)

Post #43   7/25/07 10:39:46PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Chips:
Can anyone remember off hand a fight where Fedor got controlled? I don't think he's ever been controlled. He was somewhat in lockdown against Randleman until the suplex, then reversed to side mount, but I haven't seen a fight where he was ever completely controlled. So how is Randy or Barnett going to do that? Randy is too small to control Fedor. Barnett has a shot, but he can't withstand the standup game, and hasn't been impressive on the ground as of late.

Post #44   7/26/07 9:59:43AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Chips:
fedor isnt all that big, so i dont think hes going to have a huge size advantage over randy should they fight. their skill sets are very close, and in the clinch i think randy might have the striking advantage, although everywhere else i see fedor as better than randy. i think that if they fought it would be one hell of a battle, and randy could eek out a decision, not saying its likely, just that he could do it.

Post #45   7/26/07 10:14:13AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4