Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

So, About Those Steroids…

Print  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
Tumultuous times for the barely-potty-trained sport of MMA: in a first of its kind, two UFC main event fighters have tested positive for unpronounceable pharmaceuticals. Weeks ago, a living legend with the physique of Mahatma Gandhi was caught with the needle.

LINK

Last edited 7/24/07 6:39PM server time by aznteabagger
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   7/24/07 9:02:09AM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:
I think you attached the wrong link. This link takes me to the IFL New Testing story from another thread.

I found the article
HERE

Last edited 7/24/07 10:32AM server time by szucconi
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   7/24/07 10:17:41AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Neat article but nothing beyond what I've already said save for this:

Never mind the fact that fighters who take diuretics (that'd be a drug) to shed 20 pounds of water weight before a fight and wind up clobbering their outsized foes with all the grace of the Hulk on uppers routinely ascend up the ladder.

Aren't diuretics against the rules too? I thought a couple UFC fights got burned for this in the last year.

These two quotations (one from each article posted here) kind of go hand in hand

While the UFC is the premier promotion in MMA, Otto doesn't agree with some of the business practices of the UFC. Hermes Franca released a statement to MMAWeekly last week explaining his use of steroids. In a nutshell, Hermes explained that he was injured prior to his fight with Sean Sherk. According to his account, he called the UFC to let them know, and they told him it would be tough to push the fight back. Franca explained that he needs to fight in order to feed his family. “I think the sitution with Hermes is sad. He called and they said that they had a show to put on. In our organization, if you're injured, you still get paid and someone will step up.”

Looking to the UFC for guidance ignores the clear conflict of interest there exists in a promotion trusted to police itself, when punishment to its talent will result in financial damage to its own bottom line. At best, the company could supplement sentences handed down by the state commissions, canceling contracts on second offenses or giving the user's purse to his opponent.

Post #3   7/24/07 11:16:16AM   

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,880-1,173
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Sense the UFC is the topdog in the MMA world they need to be the front runner when it comes to steroids they need to lead by example

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #4   7/24/07 1:03:46PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
It's not up to the organization, it depends on the fighters... They know steroids of any kind will show up in a drug test, nobody forces them to take steroids it's their choice to do so. Its a bad decision but I think fighters will always do it one way or another. It is ruining the sport. Fighters have a responsibilty and the fans want to see who the better fighter is from heart and skill not on roids.

Post #5   7/25/07 1:32:11AM