Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sherk Releases Statement on Appeal

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
Sean Sherk (Pictures) has retained an attorney and plans to fight the allegations that he used anabolic steroids in the run-up to his July 7 title defense against Hermes Franca (Pictures). In a press release, Sherk clearly maintained his innocence although he had no immediate explanation for the positive test.

LINK

Post #1   7/23/07 1:40:03PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I like this line

I am investigating possible causes of the positive test with my attorney.

Since when is his attorney an expert in medicine?

Post #2   7/23/07 2:00:44PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
im still holding out hope

Post #3   7/23/07 2:02:01PM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
i think it's ridiculous how all these guys, not just in mma, but in any sport, appeal their positive tests for banned substances. i cannot think of one instance where one of them won. admit you did wrong and move on. look how stupid rafeal palmeiro feels now. he went in front of the us supreme court and said that he never had and never will use steroids, and then soon after it was found out that he did and he looked like a complete idiot. sherk, take it like a man. it's your fault and nobody else's.

Post #4   7/23/07 2:55:49PM   

DougDrex

Learning to Sprawl

DougDrex Avatar

Career:1,374-738
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I hope its not true because I think Sherk is an absolute beast. But if it is true, it will be a sad day for MMA fans.

The UFC needs to come down HARD on guys who are proven to cheat with banned substances. It will only give the sport a black eye and a bad name in the media. Too many people have worked too hard to ruin things now.

Come on Dana, hand down some additional fines and suspensions!!

Post #5   7/23/07 3:01:16PM   

DevMahon

MMA Regular

DevMahon Avatar

Career:779-401
Chips:

Posted by xphycorx

i think it's ridiculous how all these guys, not just in mma, but in any sport, appeal their positive tests for banned substances. i cannot think of one instance where one of them won. admit you did wrong and move on. look how stupid rafeal palmeiro feels now. he went in front of the us supreme court and said that he never had and never will use steroids, and then soon after it was found out that he did and he looked like a complete idiot. sherk, take it like a man. it's your fault and nobody else's.

Nate Marquardt won, but he only tested positive in either his A or B sample, not both, and it was a lab error.

Post #6   7/23/07 3:33:31PM   

Twistedblaze

Learning to Sprawl

Twistedblaze Avatar

Career:4-5
Chips:
UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk issued a statement addressing the positive test for Nandrolone following his July 7, title defense against Hermes Franca. In the statement Sherk maintained his innocence.

"At the present time I cannot explain the positive drug test in Sacramento California. I know I have never used any steroids or any other banned substances, I am investigating possible causes of my positive test with my attorney. I have never cheated, all of my success has come from hard work and dedication to my sport."

Sherk's appeal will go in front of the California State Athletic Commission on August 6, at 10am. Sherk has retained Howard Jacobs to represent him in connection with those charges.

The meeting is open to the media and the general public. Scheduled to appeal their steroid violations: Wes Combs, Danny Batchelder, James Toney, Phil Baroni, Hermes Franca and Sean Sherk

Hong-Man Choi is also scheduled to appeal his license denial

*All my respect will go out the window if Sherk's statement is found to be a lie, I struggled to believe this was a false accusation. Now that Sherk is denying it, I can only hope he will be a man and tell the truth!

Post #7   7/23/07 3:51:42PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Let it play out guys. Sherk might be telling the truth and the fact that the test results showed only slightly elevated levels of the horomone suggest something is not quite as black and white as we may think.

Post #8   7/23/07 4:28:45PM   

MisFiT

In Full Mount

Career:33-24
Chips:
I believe he is telling the truth, I don't think he has done anything wrong, shit happens, maybe he took something legal not knowing the commission didnt allow it, who knows.

Post #9   7/23/07 4:38:00PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
there is stuff u can buy in gnc that could make you test positive.. he is hell bent on keeping his body in such good condition and clean i honestly do not think he would be involved in steroids.. imo he is to hard or a worker to do them.. they are the easy way out

Post #10   7/23/07 5:07:19PM   

Kdub

Learning to Sprawl

Kdub Avatar

Career:729-469
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
Well it's about time a forum has something positive to say. Those guys over at UFC Mania are ripping him to shreads. It's a shame and I hope they eat their words.

There is too much dishonesty in sports in general. No one can take anyone at their word anymore. If Sherk said he didn't do it I believe him. Now with that said his levels came back at 12ng/ml. Is that not above the legal limit of 6ng/ml. Should he have known better anyway? I don't know. He is my favorite fighter and I would hate to see him out for a year.

I also heard that he said that he didn't even know what the drug was,1when he found out he tested positive.

Post #11   7/23/07 7:27:27PM   

casey64

BANNED

Career:481-292
Chips:
I think he used steroids.

Post #12   7/23/07 7:45:55PM   

italianpride

MMA Regular

italianpride Avatar

Career:23-17
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by Kdub

Well it's about time a forum has something positive to say. Those guys over at UFC Mania are ripping him to shreads. It's a shame and I hope they eat their words.

There is too much dishonesty in sports in general. No one can take anyone at their word anymore. If Sherk said he didn't do it I believe him. Now with that said his levels came back at 12ng/ml. Is that not above the legal limit of 6ng/ml. Should he have known better anyway? I don't know. He is my favorite fighter and I would hate to see him out for a year.

I also heard that he said that he didn't even know what the drug was,1when he found out he tested positive.

lol okay, so if a fighter parties like chuck, and mistakes cocaine for javex, overdoses, its not his fault, he thought it was something else?? "if sherk said he didn't do i believe him"...im surprised defense attorneys havent seeked u out as a juror, ur hilarious. his levels are DOUBLE the legal limit, just because royce was higher doesnt make sherks test any better. whether he used an over the counter drug (YEAH RIGHT) or not, its HIS job to know what he can and cant have in his body, the same as it is in nfl, nba, boxing etc. the only people who will eat their words are sean sherk, he doesnt even have an excuse, other then "i work hard"...hes going over everything with a fine tooth comb along with his lawyer to see if theres any loophole he can take advantage of, he should just be a man like franca (seeing as how his test was MORE then francas, and he failed BOTH samples). sherk cheated, he got caught, now he will pay the price, be stripped of his title, and suspended for a year, who knows how ufc welcomes him back. bj penn said it best "show some balls and be a man, fight bj penn without steroids"

SHERK IS A CHEATER AND HE GOT CAUGHT, PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Post #13   7/23/07 8:14:25PM   

italianpride

MMA Regular

italianpride Avatar

Career:23-17
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
and by the way, GNC sells plenty of products containing anabolic steroids and nandrolone, so the fact he can buy them over the counter doesn't mean shit, they are illegal in combat sports, and a work out freak and health nut like him knows full well what hes taking, thats why he pops 80 pills a workout (lets see how that effects him when hes 50 years old)

Post #14   7/23/07 8:16:07PM   

blowe1983

MMA Regular

blowe1983 Avatar

Career:37-15
Chips:
THANK YOU!!

Post #15   7/23/07 8:20:42PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2