Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gonzaga’s jiu-jitsu key to heavyweight title

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
UFC heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga used his Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu to dispatch much-heralded Mirko Cro Cop in April in Manchester, England, and you can bet that part of his game will be front and center when he faces champion and MMA legend Randy Couture on Aug. 25 in Las Vegas.

LINK

Post #1   7/22/07 10:15:40PM   

Piccosaur

MMA Regular

Piccosaur Avatar

Career:3-1
Camp: RB Fighting Systems
Chips:
He didn't use BJJ to defeat Cro-Crop in any means.... But hopefully he does against Randy.

Post #2   7/23/07 12:09:56AM   

Postaljester

Learning to Sprawl

Postaljester Avatar

Career:315-189
Chips:
yes he did. he used his ground work to control cro cop and elbows to dizzy him.
dizzy crop cop = open to a head kick.

Post #3   7/23/07 1:00:31AM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Not to mention the sickest tko ive seen in some time,yeah he did some what but hes gonna have to to beat randy couture,im pullin for captain America all the way!!

Post #4   7/23/07 1:02:06AM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:
I'm going for Randy, Gonzaga still hasn't shown me enough

Post #5   7/23/07 2:18:12AM   

Signal2112

Standup Guy

Signal2112 Avatar

Career:52-22
Chips:
Fighting Randy is a bad fight for anybody. The man is not just an MMA legend, he's a hero.

Post #6   7/23/07 9:27:09AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by Piccosaur

He didn't use BJJ to defeat Cro-Crop in any means...

Posted by Postaljester

He used classic American wrestler's "Ground n' Pound", from the takedown onward. Tito Ortiz probably should have gotten a royalty check for that fight, at least until the LHK ending. There wasn't much jiu-jitsu at all.

Post #7   7/23/07 10:59:43AM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Piccosaur

He didn't use BJJ to defeat Cro-Crop in any means...

Posted by Postaljester

He used classic American wrestler's "Ground n' Pound", from the takedown onward. Tito Ortiz probably should have gotten a royalty check for that fight, at least until the LHK ending. There wasn't much jiu-jitsu at all.

I guess you could make the argument that he used a strong jiu-jitsu base, but thats also part of wrestling. I can't remember the entire fight off the top of my head, but I don't recall him even passing the guard once?

Post #8   7/23/07 11:16:34AM   

BeerisGood

Learning to Sprawl

BeerisGood Avatar

Career:1,995-1,331
Chips:
.i think randy bit off more than he can chew. I put all the money i had left on Gonzaga, i like randy but he's too overrated. he picked apart sylvia because he only had enough tools to beat the mediocre HW's in the division. I dont think sylvia will ever have a chance to win the belt again and after 74 randy will probably retire and train people

Post #9   7/23/07 12:04:09PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Do to Courtures level of compatiton how could you not pick him he is not stupid enough to get cought in a sub.
I dont see Gonzaga dominating Courtue on the ground the way he did with Cro Cop
Standing Courtue is better as well
Courtue 2nd rd GnP

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #10   7/23/07 12:07:16PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Gonzaga's BJJ, is not going to be as much of a factor as people think. Remember Randy went the distance with Jacare in a BJJ (or sub. wrestling) match, so I don't think Gonzaga's BJJ is a trump card for him.

I think the only thing that Gonzaga has over Randy coming into this fight is youth.

Post #11   7/23/07 12:10:08PM   

BeerisGood

Learning to Sprawl

BeerisGood Avatar

Career:1,995-1,331
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Do to Courtures level of compatiton how could you not pick him he is not stupid enough to get cought in a sub.
Courtue 2nd rd GnP

If you get caught in a sub you're not stupid, he would be considered retarded then, Half of his 8 losses were to a sub. Randy would have to catch him with a good punch to win, I just wish i had more to bet so i can win more.

Post #12   7/23/07 12:23:40PM   

DougDrex

Learning to Sprawl

DougDrex Avatar

Career:1,447-769
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by BeerisGood

Posted by SpiderSilva

Courtue 2nd rd GnP

If you get caught in a sub you're not stupid, he would be considered retarded then, Half of his 8 losses were to a sub. Randy would have to catch him with a good punch to win, I just wish i had more to bet so i can win more.

BeerisGood,

I'll have to watch your bankroll dwindle to nothing after UFC 74 because I believe that Randy's experience and "game-planning" will overcome the youth advantage that Gonzaga will enjoy. Great BJJ does not necessarily translate to great wrestling. If Randy can close the distance, control the "dirty boxing", and use his greco-roman wrestling to achieve the takedown, it will be a long night for Gonzaga.

Personally, I think this could win fight of the night. I've never seen Randy in a boring fight. He always goes all out for the entirety of the fight. I've got Randy in this one.

Post #13   7/23/07 3:26:06PM   

GrandMaster313

In Full Mount

GrandMaster313 Avatar

Career:992-648
Chips:
Cotoure is a very dangerous man. He is so skilled he could step in that octagon on any night against anyone and it would be a pretty even matchup.
He has prooven this time and time again, quite possibly the best p4p fighter top 5. Im with Cotoure on this.

Fight ends in the 2nd via KO

Post #14   7/23/07 3:39:04PM   

Btews22

MMA Regular

Btews22 Avatar

Career:190-116
Camp: Oregon Top Team
Chips:
Gonzaga's a BEAST Randy is a MMA legend.................. Coutour out classed a paper tiger named the "MANIAC". GG dominated Mirko the way Randy fights. this fight could go either way. I believe the smart money is on GG he is a underdog and I believe more hungry than Randy, and is going to train much harder and be prepared for the fight of his life!! If GG has the right people around him to get him peppered i think the Brazilian will control the fight thoroughly winning all but one round and be declared winner buy unanimous decision.

Crocop VS Big Nog For shot at HW title

Post #15   7/23/07 10:12:37PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2