Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Better Pay-Per-Views

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:

Posted by the-james

Posted by richieb19

This guy has a great point and you're all laughing at him... You honestly can't see what the UFC is currently doing? Their cards are shit... sure they have big names on them, but they're usually facing nobodies, and only order to further market them to new fans. Don't get me wrong I'll watch every event, but you can't seriously compare any of these recent cards to any one held in the 30, 40, 50 and maybe even 60 series... The UFC used to have fantastic cards, that pitted great fighters against great fighters... but now it's all about getting the names out there, putting them up against relative nobodies as stepping stones and continuously placing unworthy TUF fighters on major cards only for the sake of bringing in new fans.

I disagree completely i feel that the cards coming up some of the best in UFC history, take a look at UFC 74 Couture/ Gonzaga two top fighters against eachother, GSP/ KOS two top WW fighters not fighting for title against each other, Babalu/Heath two evenly matched opponets, Areulio/Guida evenly matched same with Stevenson/ Pelligrino, of cousre th HUerta fight inst because theyre building him up for the mexican audience nut thats it.

I'm not saying there isn't decent matches, I'm saying there overall cards have gone to shit... if you want I can do a review from UFC 30 to now, and you will see the difference pretty quickly...

EDIT: And as far as 74 goes, GG is not a top fighter, he's someone who won a wild upset in the UFC and now has a title shot that they didn't expect him to get. Heath is no where near on Babalu's level and it's obvious that they want Sobral to rebound...

Last edited 7/19/07 11:38PM server time by richieb19
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   7/19/07 11:37:30PM   

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,860-1,161
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
My Fav PPV this year was Chuck vs Rampage there were some good knockout and Dins sub was nice take the arm home and then call out pretty boy floyd

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #17   7/19/07 11:45:34PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

My Fav PPV this year was Chuck vs Rampage there were some good knockout and Dins sub was nice take the arm home and then call out pretty boy floyd

Sure it was fun to watch and it had some great fights, however my point is that on paper it wasn't at all a solid card... You can watch a KOTC event and be just as satisfied with how it turns out in the end, but personally as a long time fan I've come to expect more from the UFC ppv's on paper...

Post #18   7/19/07 11:47:35PM   

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Chips:
Good point

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #19   7/19/07 11:51:36PM   

SpiderSilva

07/07

SpiderSilva Avatar

Chips:
you know this is kind of what the WWE and WCW went through so much tallent and no space for the new guys maybe the UFC wants to give these guys a chance on the main stage to see how they preform in the UFC most of the guys we want to see is because we know what they can do but some times you get a Gonzaga Cro Cop where who knew this guy could be a new champ now people were like who the hell an easy steping stone for Cro Cop and man what a kick this is how we get to see the next Chuck or Fedor you got to give them a chance or maybe one last chance if they have been on a losing streak vs a new guy but I say the put about 4 great cards a year but some times they turn out boaring like the last one

Post #20   7/19/07 11:59:36PM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,726-1,049
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

EDIT: And as far as 74 goes, GG is not a top fighter, he's someone who won a wild upset in the UFC and now has a title shot that they didn't expect him to get...

I couldn't agree more. Can you say overrated?

Post #21   7/20/07 12:00:27AM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

This guy has a great point and you're all laughing at him... You honestly can't see what the UFC is currently doing? Their cards are shit... sure they have big names on them, but they're usually facing nobodies, and only order to further market them to new fans. Don't get me wrong I'll watch every event, but you can't seriously compare any of these recent cards to any one held in the 30, 40, 50 and maybe even 60 series... The UFC used to have fantastic cards, that pitted great fighters against great fighters... but now it's all about getting the names out there, putting them up against relative nobodies as stepping stones and continuously placing unworthy TUF fighters on major cards only for the sake of bringing in new fans.

Post #22   7/20/07 12:05:47AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by richieb19

EDIT: And as far as 74 goes, GG is not a top fighter, he's someone who won a wild upset in the UFC and now has a title shot that they didn't expect him to get...

Don't get me wrong the guy's talented, but everyone jumped on the bandwaggon the second CroCop hit the floor, anyone who says otherwise is a liar, seeing as his only other aired UFC bout was against a relative no-name in Kevin Jordan... which in turn was a painfully boring match to watch, funny how you only need one big win to be a top fighting lol...

Post #23   7/20/07 12:10:17AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,726-1,049
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Posted by ac_gi

Posted by richieb19

Don't get me wrong the guy's talented, but everyone jumped on the bandwaggon the second CroCop hit the floor, anyone who says otherwise is a liar, seeing as his only other aired UFC bout was against a relative no-name in Kevin Jordan... which in turn was a painfully boring match to watch, funny how you only need one big win to be a top fighting lol...

Nice thread hijack we've got going here.

I think that GG is a good fighter. However, he hasn't shown the stamina to be a world champion. It seemed that GG was gassing against Scherner before Scherner decided he didn't have the heart to go on. He seemed to lack cardio in his fights against Fabricio Werdum and Kevin Jordan. His last two fights are 1st round KO's, so his cardio wasn't pushed.

As far as PPV's go. I agree, cans are being brought in way to often to promote a certain fighter. It's a trend I would love to see stopped.

Post #24   7/20/07 12:28:14AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ac_gi

Nice thread hijack we've got going here.

I think that GG is a good fighter. However, he hasn't shown the stamina to be a world champion. It seemed that GG was gassing against Scherner before Scherner decided he didn't have the heart to go on. He seemed to lack cardio in his fights against Fabricio Werdum and Kevin Jordan. His last two fights are 1st round KO's, so his cardio wasn't pushed.

As far as PPV's go. I agree, cans are being brought in way to often to promote a certain fighter. It's a trend I would love to see stopped.

Thats exactly it, and people somehow think he is going to push Couture... I know Couture has had troubles with larger grapplers before, but GG isn't anywhere near the level of Barnett or Ricco, MMA or grappling... and as far as the ppv's go, no one seems to believe me, but it's completely obvious to me, and anyone who actually been watching since before '05 that they're all about marketing fighters, whether they're talented or not, and pitting them against nobodies.

Post #25   7/20/07 12:38:53AM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
If you think this year's PPV were incredible, you are being rather dellusional. Look at the last card, it was incredible... on paper. But then it ended up being rather disappointing. To me, it wasn't bad, but not up to hype. The only fight that was semi-exciting was the Silva-Marquardt, I loved the Sherk-Franca fight, but after that, it wasn't that great. Tito-Rashad was boring, didn't live up to anything, and Big Nog fight was basically one kick, and the rest was grappling.

That's one huge Stacked card that wasn't good at all except for two fights. UFC PPV should show all the fights on the card. Main Card and UnderCard fights should be all shown. I'm paying $40 to see a massive card that turns out to be a shit, and I want to see the undercard fights. The undercard fights at Stacked seems to be more exciting than the main card fights.

Post #26   7/20/07 9:58:09AM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:917-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
ared you crazy name one ufc pay-per-view besides 72 that didn't have big names on it. yeah some of the undercard don't have all big names but thats how you make names. if they never gave ppl a chance to become a name they wouldn't have any names. stop your crying and if you hate it that much and dont' think they are worth it then go to the bar and watch them or get off the bangwagen. you should be happy with what you get compared to a few years ago.

Post #27   7/20/07 10:03:02AM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:917-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by LR

If you think this year's PPV were incredible, you are being rather dellusional. Look at the last card, it was incredible... on paper. But then it ended up being rather disappointing. To me, it wasn't bad, but not up to hype. The only fight that was semi-exciting was the Silva-Marquardt, I loved the Sherk-Franca fight, but after that, it wasn't that great. Tito-Rashad was boring, didn't live up to anything, and Big Nog fight was basically one kick, and the rest was grappling.

That's one huge Stacked card that wasn't good at all except for two fights. UFC PPV should show all the fights on the card. Main Card and UnderCard fights should be all shown. I'm paying $40 to see a massive card that turns out to be a shit, and I want to see the undercard fights. The undercard fights at Stacked seems to be more exciting than the main card fights.

all the ufc can do is put good cards together on paper and if they don't turn into good fights then so be it what eles can they do. and we will never see all the undercard fights cause they need to add them in the pay-per-view if other fights end early.

Post #28   7/20/07 10:12:20AM   

Eazee_E

Learning to Sprawl

Eazee_E Avatar

Career:53-24
Camp: Rear Naked Choke
Chips:
It depends what you want. You could have maybe 4 big ppv's and have all the big names on everyone. Or you can have about 1 per month, as they do now with big names spread out, and younger guys included. I prefer to see it as much as possible, 1 every couple months is too long for me now.

I think they are doing a good job as far as making matches that look good on paper. I also would like to see the undercard fights if you buying the PPV. A card like 74 has at least one fighter I'd like to see in every fight.

Post #29   7/20/07 11:06:33AM   

boob

MMA Regular

boob Avatar

Career:849-537
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:

Post #30   7/20/07 1:35:09PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3