Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should Sherk be stripped of his title, if so who should Penn fight for vacancy?

Print  
  Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Actually 6ng is the amount for a athlete engaged in vigourous activity.

Here's a paste form the article

Normal levels of Nandrolone range from 2 ng/mL (average person) to 6 ng/mL (athlete engaged in rigorous activity).

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #46   7/19/07 9:12:16PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:

Posted by Kisame

2ng is the natural amount for atheletes in the olympics who do the same thing as clean MMA artists.

his score of 12 would be 6x the actual amount not double.

he didnt take the steroids recently but it does show he did take steroids.

2 ng/mL are for a normal person. (lazy software engineer such as myself, for example)

6 ng/mL for an athlete.

12 ng/mL is where Sherk is at.

That would be 2X normal for an athlete like Sherk. Not totally ridiculous to imagine it is natural, but at this point the burden of proof is on him.

Post #47   7/19/07 9:15:15PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
I was reading about this a while ago, because a freind of mine tested positive in a natural strong man competition and fought it and won.

"Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen showing that the metabolite product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein diets utilizing the legal nutritional supplement creatine and hard cardiovascular exercise. The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible (though unlikely) reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh racer, Lenny Paul). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter C.J. Hunter as the reason for his positive test. A final possible cause of incorrect urine test results is the presence of metabolites from other anabolic steroids. As a result of the numerous overturned verdicts, the testing procedure was reviewed by UK Sport."

His result is not very high compared to most positives.

Last edited 7/19/07 9:18PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #48   7/19/07 9:18:30PM   

Northrend

In Full Mount

Northrend Avatar

Career:110-62
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
He should be stripped..Mir was stripped from time off...Sylvia was...Barnett was (I believe) Sylvia and Barnett both for roids.

What is crazy is that BOTH of them tested positive.

Post #49   7/19/07 10:45:05PM   

mma_fan_matt

MMA Regular

Career:145-79
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Wow a year? I actually like that. Maybe this will give Sherk and Franca all the time in the world to think about what they did. Hopefully this year long suspension will make other guys realize they better stop. I really don't want this turning into WWE.

Post #50   7/19/07 11:13:39PM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,719-1,045
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Considering Royce Gracie tested over 50 ng/mL, 12 ng/mL is not very high. I think the general public is down on steroids so much that legit studies like the one done by University of Aberdeen will be ignored. That's unfortunate. I really hope that the high result is from natural and legal supplement use. If not, then I hope Sherk doesn't retire. I love his fighting style and all the whining that comes after his fights by wrestling haters.

Last edited 7/19/07 11:42PM server time by ac_gi
2 total post edits

Post #51   7/19/07 11:32:50PM   

Kisame

MMA Regular

Kisame Avatar

Career:212-160
Chips:

Posted by szucconi

Posted by Kisame

2ng is the natural amount for atheletes in the olympics who do the same thing as clean MMA artists.

his score of 12 would be 6x the actual amount not double.

he didnt take the steroids recently but it does show he did take steroids.

2 ng/mL are for a normal person. (lazy software engineer such as myself, for example)

6 ng/mL for an athlete.

12 ng/mL is where Sherk is at.

That would be 2X normal for an athlete like Sherk. Not totally ridiculous to imagine it is natural, but at this point the burden of proof is on him.

2ng is for olympics in all levels of sports wrestling or gymnastics. 6ng is only for mma giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Post #52   7/19/07 11:48:41PM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:
I am not standing up for Sean, in fact I hope to never see him fight again, but it has to be so hard in this day and age to stay away from steroids. You have to assume any athlete's main focus is on their family then the sport. So they bring in nutrionialists, trainers, and strength coaches. Those guys have to fear for their job just as the athlete does. The athlete puts his faith in those guys. Then those guys give the athlete supplements with god nows what in them. In defense of those guys GNC is putting this stuff out before any DR can tell you what is really in it. Then to top it off this isn't a cut dry substance like weed, coke, or booze where there is one test, and it is either positive or negative.

On the other end as we saw with Hermes the UFC and athletic commission is pretty much pushing these guys to steroids. If they don't fight due to an injury their family doesn't eat. Do you think Joe Silva is going to book a fighter to a major fight who has backed out once or twice? I also want to know how guys are getting past their physicals with sprained ACLs and bulging disks. I would also like to know why the urine test is only given after a fight. Test these guys weekly the month before the fight. The lets see how many test positive.

Post #53   7/20/07 2:34:26AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by johny_rotten

I am not standing up for Sean, in fact I hope to never see him fight again, but it has to be so hard in this day and age to stay away from steroids. You have to assume any athlete's main focus is on their family then the sport. So they bring in nutrionialists, trainers, and strength coaches. Those guys have to fear for their job just as the athlete does. The athlete puts his faith in those guys. Then those guys give the athlete supplements with god nows what in them. In defense of those guys GNC is putting this stuff out before any DR can tell you what is really in it. Then to top it off this isn't a cut dry substance like weed, coke, or booze where there is one test, and it is either positive or negative.

On the other end as we saw with Hermes the UFC and athletic commission is pretty much pushing these guys to steroids. If they don't fight due to an injury their family doesn't eat. Do you think Joe Silva is going to book a fighter to a major fight who has backed out once or twice? I also want to know how guys are getting past their physicals with sprained ACLs and bulging disks. I would also like to know why the urine test is only given after a fight. Test these guys weekly the month before the fight. The lets see how many test positive.

You have some very valid points

The Iron Code

Post #54   7/20/07 3:56:14AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by AmericanFighterAce
!

What the hell did you want in that Sherk/Franca fight? a trap door, clowns, lions? What?

No, I wanted to see a competitive fight, not Sherk getting on top and pushing his head into Francas chest for 5 rounds and making little attempt finish the fight. I kind of feel bad for Franca, he has wanted the title for so long, its kind of lame that he came up against Sherk, who is (was) almost unstoppable at 155, but for all the wrong reasons. Mind you, Karma got Franca too; you juice, you fail.

Post #55   7/20/07 7:55:42AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
I think he should be stripped even if it was a 30 day suspension. Just to make an example. Especially as champ.

BJ vs. Joe Daddy is my first choice.

Last edited 7/20/07 8:27AM server time by manfred
2 total post edits

Post #56   7/20/07 8:21:27AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by johny_rotten

On the other end as we saw with Hermes the UFC and athletic commission is pretty much pushing these guys to steroids. If they don't fight due to an injury their family doesn't eat.

I personally don't buy that excuse. Maybe he needed the money. But with sponsorships and owning his own gym, he should be doing fine.

If his family couldn't eat without that money, he needs an accountant, not a nutritionist.

But the rest of your points were very good

Last edited 7/20/07 8:27AM server time by manfred

Post #57   7/20/07 8:25:21AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
Shinya Aoki and his magic banana pants

Post #58   7/20/07 10:18:34AM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:917-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:
stripped his title and bj should fight joe daddy and when sherk comes back he should get a shot to get it back.

Post #59   7/20/07 11:11:42AM   

nellyhiphophead

In Full Mount

nellyhiphophead Avatar

Career:917-475
Camp: nelson top team
Chips:

Posted by szucconi

Posted by kaduey

Since Sherk and Franca both tested positive for steroids, should the title be vacated, if so who should BJ Penn fight for the title.

Joe Stevenson?
Din Thomas?
Gomi?
Huerta?

no
maybe
no, because he is unsigned
no

BJ Penn v winner of Guida v. Aurelio.

why shoudl guida get a shot if he wins he lost his last two fights befor that are you crazy.

Post #60   7/20/07 11:14:01AM   

Page 4 of 6     1     2     3     4     5     6