Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Corey Anderson: What did Anthony Smith do to get the title shot over me?

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,590-1,812
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
To close the calendar year, Corey Anderson picked up a dominant win at UFC 232 over top 5 contender Ilir Latifi. The win prompted some to call for a title shot for Anderson, who advanced his win streak to three, including wins over Glover Teixeira and Patrick Cummins. Among those who considered Anderson to be a viable contender for the belt was newly crowned champion Jon Jones, who sent some trash talk Anderson’s way.

Link

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #1   1/11/19 4:29:32PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:
Aside from the fact that Smith is ranked higher, lets go to the numbers and why Dana hasnt favored Corey...

Corey:
13 fights in the UFC
8 went to decision
1 finish in his favor
9-4 in the UFC

Anthony:
9 fights in the UFC (most recent stint)
2 went to decision
6 finishes in his favor
7-2 in the UFC (most recent stint)

Dana likes finishers and those 'who wanna be a fuckin' fighter). Corey will get a title shot when he starts finishing or becomes The Chad Mendes Effect, will get a title shot because he's been the #1 contender for so long you don't have a choice but to the book the fight out of necessity.

Post #2   1/11/19 4:34:24PM   

quezocrema0032

MMA Sensei

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:3,376-1,942
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

Aside from the fact that Smith is ranked higher, lets go to the numbers and why Dana hasnt favored Corey...

Corey:
13 fights in the UFC
8 went to decision
1 finish in his favor
9-4 in the UFC

Anthony:
2 went to decision
6 finishes in his favor

Dana likes finishers and those 'who wanna be a fuckin' fighter). Corey will get a title shot when he starts finishing or becomes The Chad Mendes Effect, will get a title shot because he's been the #1 contender for so long you don't have a choice but to the book the fight out of necessity.

Not only that, Smith has less devastating losses. When Corey loses he loses brutally. It’s hard to get people behind you when they see you getting hurt 3 times in 3 years.

Post #3   1/12/19 2:54:17AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,376-1,486
Chips:
If Jones stays active Corey will have his chance to get butchered shortly. Then Jan and after that maybe Johnny walker will have moved up in the division

Post #4   1/12/19 9:08:08AM   

JLS

ZABEAST

JLS Avatar

Career:5,089-2,729
Chips:
I think the Jan vs Thiago Santos winner might get it next.

And let's not forget Reyes. If he beats Volkan he's gonna fast track himself to a Title Shot by years end.

Post #5   1/12/19 2:21:07PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:
The sleeper if the division in my mind is Rockhold. While he hadn’t fought at 205 for the UFC yet, his skill set can mop everyone in the top 10. I’ll be interested to see whom he is given for his first fight.

Post #6   1/13/19 2:14:53PM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Thiago Santos is a beast, I hope he gets a shot soon.

Corey would be a 10-1 underdog to Jon, at least.

Post #7   1/14/19 2:49:38PM   

JLS

ZABEAST

JLS Avatar

Career:5,089-2,729
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

Thiago Santos is a beast, I hope he gets a shot soon.

Corey would be a 10-1 underdog to Jon, at least.

I 100% agree on Anderson being a 10:1 underdog. But I'm not sure if Santos will beat Jan. I think that fight is gonna be really close to a pick'em.

If Santos wins though I could see him getting a shot next. Jones said he wants to defend the Title I believe 3 times in 19. 1. Smith 2. Santos/Jan winner 3. Reyes or Anderson at the end of '19. Just a few scenarios.

Post #8   1/15/19 6:01:04AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,882-2,285
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

Corey:
13 fights in the UFC
8 went to decision
1 finish in his favor
9-4 in the UFC

Anthony:
2 went to decision
6 finishes in his favor

Anthony has 3 fights at LHW. 2 were against guys over the age of 36 that peaked nearly a decade prior. I'd be upset if I was Cory too. Lucky for Cory I imagine Jon will be wiping out the division in no time stacking bodies and pay checks. If Jon Jones limits his exposure from running over pregnant women and continues paying off the correct people to allow him to dope I'm sure Cory's time will come soon enough.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #9   1/15/19 2:39:07PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by tildengolfer

Corey:
13 fights in the UFC
8 went to decision
1 finish in his favor
9-4 in the UFC

Anthony:
2 went to decision
6 finishes in his favor

Anthony has 3 fights at LHW. 2 were against guys over the age of 36 that peaked nearly a decade prior. I'd be upset if I was Cory too. Lucky for Cory I imagine Jon will be wiping out the division in no time stacking bodies and pay checks. If Jon Jones limits his exposure from running over pregnant women and continues paying off the correct people to allow him to dope I'm sure Cory's time will come soon enough.

You make a solid point I completely glanced over. Smith’s tenure in the LHW division is not as long as Corey. But, the numbers still speak for themselves and I can see why Uncle Dana chose Smith over Corey.

Post #10   1/16/19 7:47:54PM