Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rose Namajunas to defend strawweight belt vs. Jessica Andrade at UFC 237

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

Max vs Dustin

JLS Avatar

Career:4,883-2,582
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
UFC strawweight champion Rose Namajunas has agreed to defend her title in enemy territory later this year, according to UFC president Dana White.

Namajunas will face Brazilian challenger Jessica Andrade at UFC 237 on May 11 in Brazil. The 115-pound title fight is expected to serve as the co-main event at UFC 237, White told ESPN on Monday.

The UFC has not yet announced an official venue, but the fight will take place in Brazil.

Link

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #1   1/8/19 6:15:11AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,494-1,736
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
New UFC brass doesn't like Rose as their champ. I don't think they see her as marketable because she's such a normal human being. Which IMHO is the biggest selling point. Give Brazil another champ so they can keep heading down there to sell out soccer stadiums. I'm really interested to see how this fight plays out.

Post #2   1/11/19 4:46:42PM   

quezocrema0032

MMA Sensei

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:3,291-1,878
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

New UFC brass doesn't like Rose as their champ. I don't think they see her as marketable because she's such a normal human being. Which IMHO is the biggest selling point. Give Brazil another champ so they can keep heading down there to sell out soccer stadiums. I'm really interested to see how this fight plays out.

I wouldn’t agree that they don’t like her. What’s not to like? She’s an explosive finisher at a weight class where there aren’t many. I just think the problem is with her as champ they can’t protect her from the tough fights and although rose beat JJ twice, she’s still a very beatable fighter for the right aggressive style. She reminds me of Pettis when he was champ. There was like 5 fighters behind her and him then that would have been favored to win with physicality and aggression. Sure both could catch anyone standing or on with a sub but in a 25 minute fight it was/is tough to really believe in either.

I also don’t think the fact it’s in Brazil means much as far as them not liking her. She just hasn’t fought in over a year so she didn’t have much legs to stand on to hold off for a later card and it’s a suitable headliner (as long as they stack the undercard). Rose getting her first chance to headline a card feels like they believe in her more then you suspect they do.

Post #3   1/12/19 3:00:33AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,494-1,736
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by tildengolfer

I wouldn’t agree that they don’t like her. What’s not to like? She’s an explosive finisher at a weight class where there aren’t many. I just think the problem is with her as champ they can’t protect her from the tough fights and although rose beat JJ twice, she’s still a very beatable fighter for the right aggressive style. She reminds me of Pettis when he was champ. There was like 5 fighters behind her and him then that would have been favored to win with physicality and aggression. Sure both could catch anyone standing or on with a sub but in a 25 minute fight it was/is tough to really believe in either.

I also don’t think the fact it’s in Brazil means much as far as them not liking her. She just hasn’t fought in over a year so she didn’t have much legs to stand on to hold off for a later card and it’s a suitable headliner (as long as they stack the undercard). Rose getting her first chance to headline a card feels like they believe in her more then you suspect they do.

Unless I misssd something, there’s no announcement indicating Rose will headline the card. I bet she’s co-main.

Post #4   1/13/19 2:05:38PM   

quezocrema0032

MMA Sensei

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:3,291-1,878
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by tildengolfer

Unless I misssd something, there’s no announcement indicating Rose will headline the card. I bet she’s co-main.

I bet she’s main unless Nunes is in front of her. There’s no top Brazilian contenders or fights that can headline around that time. Nunes is the only one and I doubt they go double woman’s fights in Brazil.

Seriously which other contender is Brazilian that could challenge for the belt? Halloway vs Mociano? He would need to run thru aldo and take a quick turnaround so I think it’s unlikely and I doubt assuncio or moraes would get a shot at TJ by May after he just fought in January. Maybe but unlikely. I think Rose headlines and they just stack the card around her with names liken Rua little Nog Jacare etc

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #5   1/14/19 1:12:33PM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

I've got Andrade in this. She looked like a world beater her last 3 fights.

Post #6   1/14/19 2:52:05PM