Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Who is the greatest UFC fighter of all-time?

Print  
Greatest UFC fighter of all-time
Royce Gracie 8 12%
Randy Couture 26 38%
Chuck Liddell 8 12%
Matt Hughes 19 28%
Dan Severn 3 4%
Tito Ortiz 4 6%
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

x_soa_x

MMA Regular

Career:61-38
Chips:
Out of that list, and based on the criteria described in first post, Matt Hughes. However, I don't think that Hughes is the best. BJ Penn dominated him in both of their fights, only losing the second because he popped a rib. (Rib injuries will screw almost anyone up.) GSP also destroyed him in their second fight, and Matt in his last fight he was decidedly lackluster.

And of course, once we go onto the topic of losses, only one candidate for greatest fighter ever (not just in the UFC) has no truly legitimate losses, and that's Fedor.

Besides, this sport hasn't been a sport for NEARLY long enough to declare anyone "best ever." Someone entirely unknown one day might come along and utterly destroy Fedor, or the top fighter in some other weight class.

Or hell, someone from way back when, before MMA was really organised, might be the best ever. Like say, Kimura.

Anyways, my point is, we can all have our opinions, but it's gonna be a while before we can really tell.

Post #16   7/19/07 5:29:14AM   

masodd

BANNED

masodd Avatar

Career:283-181
Chips:
i would say randy or royce

Post #17   7/19/07 12:50:39PM   

MissGSP

Learning to Sprawl

MissGSP Avatar

Career:48-26
Chips:
MATT HUGHES FO SHO

Post #18   7/19/07 12:55:30PM   

komodo20

MMA Regular

komodo20 Avatar

Career:1,454-1,040
Camp: L.I. TOP TEAM
Chips:
Greatest UFC fighter of all-time is Chuck liddell

Post #19   7/19/07 1:37:58PM   

LHK

MMA Regular

LHK Avatar

Career:8-4
Chips:

Posted by komodo20

No...but he is probably the greatest paper champ (or ex-champ that is ). He'll never hold a belt again.

Post #20   7/19/07 3:18:19PM   

LHK

MMA Regular

LHK Avatar

Chips:

Posted by x_soa_x

Out of that list, and based on the criteria described in first post, Matt Hughes. However, I don't think that Hughes is the best. BJ Penn dominated him in both of their fights, only losing the second because he popped a rib. (Rib injuries will screw almost anyone up.) GSP also destroyed him in their second fight, and Matt in his last fight he was decidedly lackluster.

And of course, once we go onto the topic of losses, only one candidate for greatest fighter ever (not just in the UFC) has no truly legitimate losses, and that's Fedor.

Besides, this sport hasn't been a sport for NEARLY long enough to declare anyone "best ever." Someone entirely unknown one day might come along and utterly destroy Fedor, or the top fighter in some other weight class.

Or hell, someone from way back when, before MMA was really organised, might be the best ever. Like say, Kimura.

Anyways, my point is, we can all have our opinions, but it's gonna be a while before we can really tell.

Good points, but the question can still be answered within the scope of the sport so far. And the question asked UFC, so Fedor can't be included. Also, anyone (like Kimura) way before UFC isn't included. The most skilled AND the most dominant MMA fighter in the UFC is easily Matt Hughes. No question.

Post #21   7/19/07 3:21:09PM   

komodo20

MMA Regular

komodo20 Avatar

Career:1,454-1,040
Camp: L.I. TOP TEAM
Chips:

Posted by LHK

Posted by komodo20

No...but he is probably the greatest paper champ (or ex-champ that is ). He'll never hold a belt again.

what

Post #22   7/19/07 3:25:48PM   

szucconi

In Full Mount

szucconi Avatar

Career:440-296
Chips:

Posted by komodo20

Posted by LHK

Posted by komodo20

what

Are you hard of hearing? Would you like hime to speak up? What, is not a compeling response. He disagrees with you. I disagree with both of you. Liddell is a great fighter by not well rounded. He was protected as a champ, but he fought tough fights. They were just all good match ups for him. For example, he fough, Ortiz a former champ, and seemed to own him. He never beat a high level standup fighter.

Post #23   7/19/07 3:40:03PM   

shackle

Standup Guy

shackle Avatar

Career:152-97
Chips:
Agree ... randy isn't even in the same league record wise.

People just really like randy thats why he is so high in the votes. To me thats being bias, and not honest. No disrespect to randy though the guy is awesome!

Posted by DJDark41

Matt Hughes. He's got the most impressive record I've probably ever seen in MMA, with most of his fights coming by stoppages. He's beaten everyone the UFC has thrown at him, he's probably the most dominant champion in UFC history, and he still has a few years left in him.

Post #24   7/19/07 3:42:34PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Randy, he's done the impossible so many times.

Post #25   7/19/07 4:13:35PM   

Chris_Keppel

Banned

Career:51-37
Chips:
People don't take this personal and don't let it rub your anal the wrong way...

I'd say Matt Hughes and Chuck Liddell.

Now now, before one get's offended it's like this...

Both of them "broke records" or "set the bar" as the Champions within the UFC.

Dominating their fights in their Title Defenses, over, and over, and over.

Hell, let's face it... they were the champions forever. Which makes them the greatest.

Obviously Royce Gracie get's a lot of props in this catagory too, but he should of never came back and fought Hughes, that was just ridiculous.

Post #26   7/19/07 4:35:40PM   

LHK

MMA Regular

LHK Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Chris_Keppel

People don't take this personal and don't let it rub your anal the wrong way...

I'd say Matt Hughes and Chuck Liddell.

Now now, before one get's offended it's like this...

Both of them "broke records" or "set the bar" as the Champions within the UFC.

Dominating their fights in their Title Defenses, over, and over, and over.

Hell, let's face it... they were the champions forever. Which makes them the greatest.

Obviously Royce Gracie get's a lot of props in this catagory too, but he should of never came back and fought Hughes, that was just ridiculous.

There is no comparison between what Hughes and Liddell did. Hughes fought some hard competition (not tailor-made gimmes), but the biggest difference is Hughes POSSESSES SKILL, whereas Liddell does not. And look at their records, Hughes fought twice as much without losing (albeit not in the UFC). If Liddell stays around for too many more fights, they will be losses (unless Dana keeps feeding him cans).

Post #27   7/19/07 9:25:28PM   

KYGUY07

In Full Mount

KYGUY07 Avatar

Career:896-560
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
i hate to say it but i gotta go with hughes.

Post #28   7/20/07 2:34:53PM   

x_soa_x

MMA Regular

Career:61-38
Chips:

Posted by LHK

Posted by x_soa_x

Good points, but the question can still be answered within the scope of the sport so far. And the question asked UFC, so Fedor can't be included. Also, anyone (like Kimura) way before UFC isn't included. The most skilled AND the most dominant MMA fighter in the UFC is easily Matt Hughes. No question.

I knew that, and I clearly changed the subject of my post to greatest ever in MMA and it's various predecessors.

And eh, I disagree about Hughes being the most skilled. Most dominant, obviously, he's beat everyone. But, he was severely outclassed against GSP in their last fight. He was outwrestled and outstruck, plain and simple.

Post #29   7/21/07 8:07:00PM   

LHK

MMA Regular

LHK Avatar

Chips:
I won't say it was an off night for Hughes in his last match with GSP, but it definitely wasn't the best Hughes we've seen. He's not a good enough striker yet to hang with GSP in a kickboxing match, which is what he was trying to do. I think he learned his lesson.

Now they're 1-1. Rubber match for the superior fighter.

Post #30   7/21/07 11:04:30PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3