Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kelvin’s gastelum admant he’ll sit out until he gets guaranteed title shot

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,355-1,652
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Kelvin Gastelum wants a title shot and his willing to sit out to get it.

After taking a split-decision nod over Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza at UFC 224 on Saturday in Rio, Gastelum, 26, believes that a UFC middleweight title shot should be next on his schedule.

Link

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   5/16/18 3:09:54AM   

xdanish020

The Natural

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:5,475-3,053
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is dumb, did he forget that Weidman beat his ass and choked him out just a few fights ago? If anything Chris would be next in line but I do think he needs another fight.....the win over Jacare wouldn't propel KG over Weidman though IMO, considering Weidman just recently beat him and didn't just beat him, but finished him.

Post #2   5/16/18 5:42:56AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,134-1,216
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

This is dumb, did he forget that Weidman beat his ass and choked him out just a few fights ago? If anything Chris would be next in line but I do think he needs another fight.....the win over Jacare wouldn't propel KG over Weidman though IMO, considering Weidman just recently beat him and didn't just beat him, but finished him.

I don't think it's exactly dumb but I do think Gastelum should be ahead of Weidman for the title shot. Gastelum just beat Bisping via Ko and right after he just lost his title, he now has 2 wins in a row. Weidman last fight he subbed Gastelum but lost 3 in a row before that. Based on that I think Gastelum is more deserving over Weidman, although I do think Weidman is a threat to Whittaker I also think Gastelum is a threat too, just based on his toughness on the feet and think he would have a super entertaining fight with Whittaker.

I kind of feel for Jacare as he had very close fights with both Romero and Gastelum which would have resulted in title shots had he won them. It's going to be hard for Jacare to get that title shot now.

Post #3   5/16/18 7:40:29AM   

jbmoviefan

In Full Mount

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:2,553-1,550
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Chris was really lucky to make it out of the 1rst with Gas, another few seconds and that fight was over. Plus is Chris got so hurt picking up a win over an undisciplined WW that he's been out for a year, after being KO'd 3 times in a row before that, I don't see how anyone could be so dumb as to think he deserves a title shot more than Kelvin.

Post #4   5/16/18 10:58:30AM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:
Weidman needs a couple more wins. That slide he went on was bad.

Post #5   5/16/18 12:42:37PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:1,689-1,016
Chips:
I don't think it's dumb to think Weidman deserves a shot over Gastelum, especially if you're going to refer to Gastelum as a undisciplined welterweight. Sure, Gastelum had him rocked, but he never put him away. How do we know that some of the steam would have died on those shots Kelvin was throwing and they never would have finished him anyways?

We've seen fighters get rocked and almost finished but come back and win the fight on multiple occasions, and no one undermines their win because of it, and if they do, they're dumb to do so. It's a shoulda, woulda, coulda.... but Kelvin didn't and he ended up being the one who got finished in the end. That's a fact.

Also, why does an undisciplined welterweight who's on a two fight win streak, (one over a broken Bisping who lost to GSP 'a disciplined welterweight' and the other by a split decision over a gassed Jacare), deserve a title shot anyways? With how pooched Jacare was, Gastelum wasn't even able to put him away. He started to gas himself, after two rounds, which is likely why he never got the finish.

We've seen guys get title shots coming off losses. Look at Nick Diaz. So it's not dumb to think Weidman coming off 1 win deserves a title shot over the guy he recently beat and finished, who's only on a 2 fight win streak. It's not like the win over Gastelum happened a long time ago, it was less than a year ago.

Romero is getting a title shot coming off 1 win, and he's getting a title shot against a guy who's last win was over him. Trying to make sense out of who deserves what is pointless. Most of the times, the fighters we think deserve a big fight or title fight, doesn't get it anyways.

You can make a case for Chris and you can make a case for Kelvin, but if you want to look at the facts, Chris beat Kelvin less than a year ago, and that speaks for itself. Chris is going to be out for awhile, due to a 2nd thumb surgery, so for that reason Kelvin will likely get to fight for the title before him. That would be the only reason why I'd say give Kelvin the title shot over Chris, but if Chris was healthy, I'd say he deserves the shot over the guy he beat and finished less than a year ago.

In this sport, it doesn't come down to who's the most deserving, it comes down to who's ready and available at that present moment, and/or who's going to put more butts in seats. Currently, Kelvin is readily available while Chris is on the injured reserve list.

Post #6   5/16/18 1:04:45PM   

jbmoviefan

In Full Mount

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
Sorry, you missed my point. I think it's dumb, to use the work "dumb", when writing anything that pertains to anything. Foolish, reckless, ill advised, or unjustified are all better choices. Only dumb people use the word "dumb".

Chris is a talented grappler, but once he loses the ability to hit that snatch single his career is over. He'll never have the hands to hang with anyone good, or the chin to make the late rounds. His whole career is built off of taking out guys after their prime. Honestly the first good fighter he ever faced in their prime was Rockhold followed by Gergard. He barely squeaked past Maia (at MW) and got KO'd by a 40 year old man. If Weidman had half of Kelvin's fight IQ or striking prowess he'd be the MW champ right now. And if Gas had half of Weidman's work ethic and dedication he'd be the WW champ.

I don't think either of these guys deserves a title shot, honestly I'd give it to Shoe Face or Tavares. They're the only guys in the top 15 on good winning streaks anyway.

Post #7   5/16/18 2:05:21PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:

Last edited 5/16/18 4:48PM server time by Braden
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   5/16/18 4:48:00PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,769-2,207
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Sorry, you missed my point. I think it's dumb, to use the work "dumb", when writing anything that pertains to anything. Foolish, reckless, ill advised, or unjustified are all better choices. Only dumb people use the word "dumb".

Chris is a talented grappler, but once he loses the ability to hit that snatch single his career is over. He'll never have the hands to hang with anyone good, or the chin to make the late rounds. His whole career is built off of taking out guys after their prime. Honestly the first good fighter he ever faced in their prime was Rockhold followed by Gergard. He barely squeaked past Maia (at MW) and got KO'd by a 40 year old man. If Weidman had half of Kelvin's fight IQ or striking prowess he'd be the MW champ right now. And if Gas had half of Weidman's work ethic and dedication he'd be the WW champ.

I don't think either of these guys deserves a title shot, honestly I'd give it to Shoe Face or Tavares. They're the only guys in the top 15 on good winning streaks anyway.

This is the dumbest garbage I have ever read. Chris stood with both Anderson Silva and Machida. He showed an amazing chin when he came back against Kelvin.

Kelvin is one of the most active fighters and has shown to have more stamina than everyone he fights. That would mean he has MORE work ethic than his competition.

I read a lot of bad takes but my GOD.

Post #9   5/18/18 2:03:23PM   

jbmoviefan

In Full Mount

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
Silva built his career off of beating old men too. Every fight he ever won in the UFC (except the garbage DEC against Brunson, and Maia when he fought at 85), was against someone who hasn't been relevant in the title picture for the better part of a decade. Marquardt, Franklin, Henderson, Irvin, Cote, Leites, Griffin, Sonnen, Belfort, and Bonnar, are all great names, but none have been contender for a long time.

Weidman standing with old man killer Silva doesn't impress me at all.

As for Machida he firmly planted him with TDs for the first 3 rounds, and standing with him for the last 2 rounds, while still desperately trying for the TDs, doesn't make me think any higher of Weidman.

Chris showed an amazing saved by bell against Kelvin, and then layed on the WW fighter for the next 2 rounds until he was gifted the SUB, not overly impressive at all.

Work ethic doesn't just apply to the amount of time at the gym, it's also discipline and diet. Lots of people love training ever day, no one likes eating rabbit food and being hungry all the time.

Post #10   5/18/18 3:38:27PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:4,118-2,483
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

I would agree that Weidman is likely past his career and has wins over older former stars but saying he barely beat Maia is "dumb". Took the fight on like three days notice and cut 19 lbs 24 hours before weigh ins plus didn't have any sort or training camp. Did he barely squeak by? Not really I think it was a clear cut three rounds to zero in favor of Weidman. You seem really negative JB it's Friday cheer up.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   5/18/18 3:56:18PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Work ethic doesn't just apply to the amount of time at the gym, it's also discipline and diet. Lots of people love training ever day, no one likes eating rabbit food and being hungry all the time.

Oh, buddy. You should see the diet my naturopath has me on. He tells me, "it's not feeling hungry, it's just not feeling stuffed".

He even recently removed all meats, so I'm basically down to nuts, berries, salads, water and teas.

How long could you last on that?

Post #12   5/18/18 4:05:44PM   

jbmoviefan

In Full Mount

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
Weidman vs Maia

rnd 1 14 to 14 in ss, 1TD for Weidman
rnd2 16 to 16 in ss, 2TDs for Weidman
rnd3 21 to 28 in ss favoring Chris, 1TD for Weidman

I had Maia winning the first 2 rounds as I thought he landed the cleaner shots, and Chris did nothing with the TDs. Maybe not squeaked by, but that was a close f'ing fight, though I will admit I'm biased towards Maia.

I could survive on your diet for about 2 weeks Braden, then I'd shoot myself in head, or maybe the next person I saw and then eat them. I need meat, it's not an option.

Last edited 5/18/18 4:36PM server time by jbmoviefan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   5/18/18 4:36:13PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,769-2,207
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Silva built his career off of beating old men too. Every fight he ever won in the UFC (except the garbage DEC against Brunson, and Maia when he fought at 85), was against someone who hasn't been relevant in the title picture for the better part of a decade. Marquardt, Franklin, Henderson, Irvin, Cote, Leites, Griffin, Sonnen, Belfort, and Bonnar, are all great names, but none have been contender for a long time.

Weidman standing with old man killer Silva doesn't impress me at all.

As for Machida he firmly planted him with TDs for the first 3 rounds, and standing with him for the last 2 rounds, while still desperately trying for the TDs, doesn't make me think any higher of Weidman.

Chris showed an amazing saved by bell against Kelvin, and then layed on the WW fighter for the next 2 rounds until he was gifted the SUB, not overly impressive at all.

DUUUUUUUUUDE just stop... stop now...

Just because a fighter is old now doesn't mean they were old ten years ago you fool. Griffin was one fight removed from being the LHW champ, Hendo would go on to fight another 20 times and become the Strikeforce MW and LHW champ, Vitor went on to beat Rockhold and Rumble, Marquardt went on to knockout Maia and Woodley. Almost everyone you listed was in their prime.

Every time a champ loses their belt a wave of insufferable opinions are sure to follow. Everyone likes to discount a former champ's success and it is tiring. I honestly never thought I'd have to explain to a hard core mma fan why Anderson Silva had a good career but here I am.

Post #14   5/23/18 3:55:18PM   

Shawn91111

Coming back..

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:4,146-2,226
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Weidman vs Maia

rnd 1 14 to 14 in ss, 1TD for Weidman
rnd2 16 to 16 in ss, 2TDs for Weidman
rnd3 21 to 28 in ss favoring Chris, 1TD for Weidman

had Maia winning the first 2 rounds as I thought he landed the cleaner shots, and Chris did nothing with the TDs. Maybe not squeaked by, but that was a close f'ing fight, though I will admit I'm biased towards Maia.

I could survive on your diet for about 2 weeks Braden, then I'd shoot myself in head, or maybe the next person I saw and then eat them. I need meat, it's not an option.

Please don't judge anymore fights

Post #15   5/23/18 10:41:21PM