Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Leslie Smith says UFC has released her, criticizes Aspen Ladd for UFC Atlantic City weigh-in miss

Print  
Posted By Message

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:1,689-1,016
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
After turning down a fight with Aspen Ladd at UFC Fight Night 128, Leslie Smith said she’s been paid her full show and win purses – a sum totalling $62,000 – for the ill-fated bout.

Also forthcoming for Smith: an “unprecedented” goodbye from the UFC.

Link

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   4/20/18 5:50:48PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,134-1,216
Chips:
That's harsh

Post #2   4/20/18 6:11:07PM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
Get cut because she didn't want to fight an overweight opponent? Nah, totally the wrong call. Show/win money is just hush money, and it's cheap considering Smith is big into unions.

Dana gets more corrupt by the month.

Post #3   4/20/18 7:41:27PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:4,118-2,483
Chips:
I'm assuming this didn't make them happy and with her so negative of the UFC and wanting to form a union then they were looking for a reason. Props to her though and I will always respect her for that whole ear almost falling off and wanting to fight thing lol.

Post #4   4/20/18 8:43:19PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:
This is a scummy move.... but than again, what's new?

Post #5   4/20/18 9:45:29PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,740-3,298
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Yup, this is 100% because of the union talks. She was not getting a new contract regardless of the outcome.

I like Leslie and agree with her stance but she shouldn't be the one being so vocal about the movement for a union. They need someone the UFC can't afford to lose to be involved and act as the main voice. Leslie means very little to them so she was expendable. This will only hurt her career unfortunately.

Post #6   4/21/18 11:35:40AM   

RacingHartPurple

MMA Regular

RacingHartPurple Avatar

Career:3,786-2,294
Chips:
She bit the hand that fed her.....62K was a lot better than having her as an employee criticizing them all the time. I also don't buy her she wasn't scared to fight deal....you fought Cyborg so whats the big deal if Ladd was 137.8, it's not like she was 5 lbs over. Seems like she didn't wanna go out with a Loss as the last fight on her contract but now her only option will be Bellator who doesn't have much of a 135 lb division, if they even have one that I know of. She won't be back in the UFC and since the UFC is tied to Invicta she won't be there either. It might have been a scummy move but she could have taken that fight, it wasn't that bad. Seems like she is using the weight as the excuse but like I said she fought Cyborg at 140 so what's the big deal if this girl was 137.8......I don't really get it.

Post #7   4/21/18 6:08:54PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:

Posted by RacingHartPurple

She bit the hand that fed her.....62K was a lot better than having her as an employee criticizing them all the time. I also don't buy her she wasn't scared to fight deal....you fought Cyborg so whats the big deal if Ladd was 137.8, it's not like she was 5 lbs over. Seems like she didn't wanna go out with a Loss as the last fight on her contract but now her only option will be Bellator who doesn't have much of a 135 lb division, if they even have one that I know of. She won't be back in the UFC and since the UFC is tied to Invicta she won't be there either. It might have been a scummy move but she could have taken that fight, it wasn't that bad. Seems like she is using the weight as the excuse but like I said she fought Cyborg at 140 so what's the big deal if this girl was 137.8......I don't really get it.

She told the UFC she would accept the fight if they extended her contract. They didn't want to extend her contract, so instead they paid her out and let her go.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #8   4/21/18 6:28:21PM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:

Posted by RacingHartPurple

62k was better as a single transaction, but in the long run it's not as good as an extended contract. She took a risk that didn't work out in her favor, and it's one that isn't overly surprising given her unionist leanings and what one would presume is reasonable leverage in the situation. I don't blame her for trying.

Posted by Budgellism

Yup, this is 100% because of the union talks. She was not getting a new contract regardless of the outcome.

I like Leslie and agree with her stance but she shouldn't be the one being so vocal about the movement for a union. They need someone the UFC can't afford to lose to be involved and act as the main voice. Leslie means very little to them so she was expendable. This will only hurt her career unfortunately.

I mostly agree. I think she's right to speak up but would've undoubtedly been more effective if supported by more lucrative fighters. She makes good points, and given the current Conor situation I think Dana would be more willing to nuke a single instigator even if they were a draw. A few dozen fighters across multiple weight divisions, some of which are major draws? Can't silence that so easily.

Post #9   4/21/18 10:48:18PM