Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Who do you think is the best overall striker in MMA?

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Cro Cop and Mark Hunt are easily the best they were K-1 veterans!

Post #31   2/1/07 3:47:20PM   

roman

Standup Guy

roman Avatar

Career:679-391
Chips:
silva just works his angles amazingly. yea i agree anderson

Post #32   2/1/07 3:49:49PM   

the-james

Standup Guy

the-james Avatar

Career:891-471
Chips:
Matt Hammil and Royce Gracie for sure

Post #33   2/1/07 3:51:23PM   

Spiderman

MMA Regular

Spiderman Avatar

Career:72-42
Chips:
I dont want to insult or flame anyone . But If you sad Anderson Silva you are a bit of a Tuffer /new to mma .

What Great strikers has Anderson silva beaten ? He got outstruck by Chonan ! Chonan slipped his punchs and landed counter right hands , Chonan also landed a ton of leg kicks , and had Anderson Silva immobilised by the third rd allmost unable to stand . He needs to fight Kang or Suloev , or even Baroni before we can start calling him a great striker .

If Schilt was still in mma he would have the best standup [ allthough not very good takedown defence ]

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
4. Gomi [ Not to technical , but Incrediable chin , and great power .]
5. Manhoef

Post #34   2/1/07 3:58:11PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Many people might not agree with me but I think Franklin could be in the top ten. He isnt overly powerful but he is a scientist on his feet, he throws very accurate strikes.

I would also say that Sherk packs some power when it comes to striking and I think if Hermes fights him, Sherk could win the fight on the feet, even with Hermes power

Post #35   2/1/07 4:01:15PM   

Hangton

Learning to Sprawl

Hangton Avatar

Career:18-9
Chips:
im gonna go with A.Silva, Gomi, Sakara, Cro Cop, Chuck, Shogun are the top ones

Post #36   2/1/07 5:06:00PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,055-1,156
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Spiderman

I dont want to insult or flame anyone . But If you sad Anderson Silva you are a bit of a Tuffer /new to mma .

What Great strikers has Anderson silva beaten ? He got outstruck by Chonan ! Chonan slipped his punchs and landed counter right hands , Chonan also landed a ton of leg kicks , and had Anderson Silva immobilised by the third rd allmost unable to stand . He needs to fight Kang or Suloev , or even Baroni before we can start calling him a great striker .

If Schilt was still in mma he would have the best standup [ allthough not very good takedown defence ]

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

I don't know you ,or what you do or do not know about striking, so I will explain while my opinion differs from yours. Silva /Chonan was when he was with Chutebox (sometimes overagressive/wild/sloppy)and he has definately improved since then. Second- Chonan is a warrior and that was the best stretch of his career. 3rd- he didn't get outsruck by Chonan, although Chonan did hang pretty well. A. Silva is like Chuck, he dares you to hit him just so he can counter,and Chonan was so much shorter he was crouched down. He'll stay right in the box and throwdown. 4th -most of Chona's scoring was done by GnP, and except for one good leg kick I don't think he ever hurt Silva the whole fight till he pulled off the flying heel hook. Soon after that match, he left Chute Box and Not only joined Muay Thai Dream team , but got his blackbelt in BJJ from the Nogueira bros. His standup, especially his footwork is now amazing. He does and has everthing a striker needs. Great, hands, kicks, kness,elbows,clinch,Chin,footwork, speed, timing, accuracy, power,precision and killer instict. I think he is the most complete striker in all of MMA. If you know anyone who understands, boxing, kickboxing, even karate or Tae-Kwondo (which are far less effective in MMA) they should be able to point out how incredibly technically crisp, and sound his technique is. While I and probably most of the people you just accused of being TUFers (since the overwhelming majority of people so far agree he is the best or at least one of the best)probably aren't TUFers I think even a complete novice would be able to spot his greatness.

Last edited 2/1/07 5:59PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #37   2/1/07 5:57:47PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,686-1,525
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Spiderman

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

I don't know you ,or what you do or do not know about striking, so I will explain while my opinion differs from yours. Silva /Chonan was when he was with Chutebox (sometimes overagressive/wild/sloppy)and he has definately improved since then. Second- Chonan is a warrior and that was the best stretch of his career. 3rd- he didn't get outsruck by Chonan, although Chonan did hang pretty well. A. Silva is like Chuck, he dares you to hit him just so he can counter,and Chonan was so much shorter he was crouched down. He'll stay right in the box and throwdown. 4th -most of Chona's scoring was done by GnP, and except for one good leg kick I don't think he ever hurt Silva the whole fight till he pulled off the flying heel hook. Soon after that match, he left Chute Box and Not only joined Muay Thai Dream team , but got his blackbelt in BJJ from the Nogueira bros. His standup, especially his footwork is now amazing. He does and has everthing a striker needs. Great, hands, kicks, kness,elbows,clinch,Chin,footwork, speed, timing, accuracy, power,precision and killer instict. I think he is the most complete striker in all of MMA. If you know anyone who understands, boxing, kickboxing, even karate or Tae-Kwondo (which are far less effective in MMA) they should be able to point out how incredibly technically crisp, and sound his technique is. While I and probably most of the people you just accused of being TUFers (since the overwhelming majority of people so far agree he is the best or at least one of the best)probably aren't TUFers I think even a complete novice would be able to spot his greatness.

Hippy, you are a good poster, and spiderman shouldn't have directed the comment toward you, but he sorta has a point. Many of the people who love Silva now are basically TUF n00btards, which I know you aren't, but a year ago many people who watched the Leben fight live had no idea who Anderson Silva was. That being said, I think he's a top 5 striker, but I can't put anyone ahead of CroCop.

Post #38   2/1/07 6:10:52PM   

BalledBull

Learning to Sprawl

BalledBull Avatar

Career:222-135
Camp: duXup
Chips:
Ice man, Cro Cop, Spider and Fedor ! Ice man is right there with Spider!

Post #39   2/1/07 6:26:00PM   

tffdwg38

Banned

tffdwg38 Avatar

Career:16-14
Chips:
cro cop or silva

Post #40   2/1/07 8:26:24PM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:
So many great strikers hard to choose so heres my top 7.

(no order)

Mirko Crocop
Wanderlei Silva
Chuck Liddell
Anderson Silva
Fedor Emelianenko
Spencer Fisher
Shogun Rua

Post #41   2/1/07 9:52:07PM   

Spiderman

MMA Regular

Spiderman Avatar

Career:72-42
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Spiderman

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

Im not a mma fighter , but I have a background in strikeing sports .I do know a few things about standup fighting .

I will also mention that a lot of people used to think Franklin was a great striker even though he never beat a good striker , and got blown away by mediocre striker [ on par with Tiger white ] Ryoto Machida . And that most people on forums are idiots and havent even seen most of the fights they comment on .

Ive read a lot of your posts and im suprised you said

" 4th -most of Chona's scoring was done by GnP, and except for one good leg kick I don't think he ever hurt Silva the whole fight till he pulled off the flying heel hook "

That is pretty much the same bullshit myth about anderson Silva owning the fight before the " miracle submission " If you own the Shockwave 2004 dvd I suggest watching that fight again , and see that Chonan landed a Ton of leg kicks and He Had A.Silva hurt badly from the kicks ! He won that fight with Leg kicks A.Silva lost his mobility and could barely stand He could have finished him with more kicks , but he went for the slick submission instead . Also if you listen to the commentatores [ I know Bas and Muaro are not allways accurate ] they will tell that Chonan was winning also . Standup isnt just punching if your oppenent cant walk anymore because of your leg kicks than you outstruck him . I also dont buy this ' Chonan was on fire back then ' crap " Chonan is a warrior and that was the best stretch of his career " he was the same Chonan than that got blown away by Hendo !

" A. Silva is like Chuck, he dares you to hit him just so he can counter, "

Watch the Fight . A.Silva is starting the exchange he throws and misses Chonan . Chonan is doing the countering he slips A.Silvas punchs and counters with right hands to the head . And A.Silva just dosent have the heavy hands Chuck has .

I also dont think training at Chute box will hurt anyones strikeing skill. Im not impressed with A.Silvas punchs , but I do agree he has real nice footwork . Allthough I have not seen any big differance with his strikeing now ,and when he was in Pride ? Looks the same to me . What fights of his did you see this Huge improvement in ?

What Great strikers has A.Silva outstruck ?
-He beat Leben [ who really does use the hit me so i can counter statagey ] who charges everybody with his Chin sticking out .
- and Franklin who has never outstruck a highlevel striker . And I was not impressed with A.Silva against Franklin . I was disgusted with Franklin who basicly just let A.Silva knee him to the body . Franklins camp should have told him what a Muay thai clinch is .

- And I dont see A.Silva being able to hang with Remy bonjasky in K-1 like 187 lbs fighter Melvin Manhoef did !

I also have to wonder at the People who have Mirko as there #1 ?? Mirko was outstruck by both Hunt and Fedor , But at least Mirko has great KO's agaisnt some high level strikers , and a great takedown defence to keep fights standing .

Last edited 2/1/07 10:07PM server time by spiderman

Post #42   2/1/07 10:04:27PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,055-1,156
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Spiderman

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Spiderman

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

Im not a mma fighter , but I have a background in strikeing sports .I do know a few things about standup fighting .

I will also mention that a lot of people used to think Franklin was a great striker even though he never beat a good striker , and got blown away by mediocre striker [ on par with Tiger white ] Ryoto Machida . And that most people on forums are idiots and havent even seen most of the fights they comment on .

Ive read a lot of your posts and im suprised you said

" 4th -most of Chona's scoring was done by GnP, and except for one good leg kick I don't think he ever hurt Silva the whole fight till he pulled off the flying heel hook "

That is pretty much the same bullshit myth about anderson Silva owning the fight before the " miracle submission " If you own the Shockwave 2004 dvd I suggest watching that fight again , and see that Chonan landed a Ton of leg kicks and He Had A.Silva hurt badly from the kicks ! He won that fight with Leg kicks A.Silva lost his mobility and could barely stand He could have finished him with more kicks , but he went for the slick submission instead . Also if you listen to the commentatores [ I know Bas and Muaro are not allways accurate ] they will tell that Chonan was winning also . Standup isnt just punching if your oppenent cant walk anymore because of your leg kicks than you outstruck him . I also dont buy this ' Chonan was on fire back then ' crap " Chonan is a warrior and that was the best stretch of his career " he was the same Chonan than that got blown away by Hendo !

" A. Silva is like Chuck, he dares you to hit him just so he can counter, "

Watch the Fight . A.Silva is starting the exchange he throws and misses Chonan . Chonan is doing the countering he slips A.Silvas punchs and counters with right hands to the head . And A.Silva just dosent have the heavy hands Chuck has .

I also dont think training at Chute box will hurt anyones strikeing skill. Im not impressed with A.Silvas punchs , but I do agree he has real nice footwork . Allthough I have not seen any big differance with his strikeing now ,and when he was in Pride ? Looks the same to me . What fights of his did you see this Huge improvement in ?

What Great strikers has A.Silva outstruck ?
-He beat Leben [ who really does use the hit me so i can counter statagey ] who charges everybody with his Chin sticking out .
- and Franklin who has never outstruck a highlevel striker . And I was not impressed with A.Silva against Franklin . I was disgusted with Franklin who basicly just let A.Silva knee him to the body . Franklins camp should have told him what a Muay thai clinch is .

- And I dont see A.Silva being able to hang with Remy bonjasky in K-1 like 187 lbs fighter Melvin Manhoef did !

I also have to wonder at the People who have Mirko as there #1 ?? Mirko was outstruck by both Hunt and Fedor , But at least Mirko has great KO's agaisnt some high level strikers , and a great takedown defence to keep fights standing .

I rewatched the fight for the 4th time right before I replied to your other post. I do own the DVD and(IMO) I still disagree with you. I think think leg kicks can wear you down over time, but most were checked well. Only one was really damaging.As for the casual MMA fan, I think you'll find that most of the people here( who disagree with you about A. Silva) are not. People who come to MMA sites and boards are not generally the guy I would call a TUFer. Yes, he did begin many of the exchanges, but he was clearly baiting him also. Silva has great punching power, but usuall ywins by an accumulation of shot's because he is so technically skilled. Chuck is a badass with great power and throws almost "ALL" power punches.As for chutebox, all their fighter's are hyper agressive, it doesn't mean they aren't studs. they are usually best overwhelming people with rushes and wild shots. and in the clinch. I think his striking skill has improved in "every" fight since he joined Muay Thai deam team. Back then he might of just tried to stand in front of Leben and outbrawl him instead of stick n move and throw shot's from so many different angles.Yes, the biggesti mprovement was his footwork, which is why I said he has the in MMA. On Franklin's part I think he is a very good technical striker who also comes from many angles and makes it hard to get his timing down. He outsruck Loiseau( very good striker) and hung fine and landed some good shot's on Machida before he got caught. Getting Koed by Silva doesn't make him a bad striker. He had a bad gameplan and got overpowered in the clinch. As for Cro-cop he was trying to avoid going to the ground with Fedor which limit's him, and It's FEDOR man. The baddest guy in all of MMA, and he still landed plenty of shot's on him, Watch that fight again too please and look at Fedor's face after. That doesn't happen by accident. Hunt is a beast, much larger, and just outchinned( or outheaded him if you prefer) . he's a guy who is hard to damage. Also, Cro-cop beat him in K-1, I have seen it. Remember this above all. we are all just sharing opinions, and nobody is always right. Just because a lot of people disagree with you doesn't make them TUFers or any other insult you care to fling .If you start that stuff this place will go bad like many other MMA forums. I probably shouldn't have referred to you as novice. I apologize, but it was retaliatory. Don't start none, won't be none.

Last edited 2/1/07 10:55PM server time by hippysmacker

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #43   2/1/07 10:48:21PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:

Posted by Spiderman

Imo

1. Hunt
2. Fedor
3. Mirko
5. Manhoef

Why do you have to steriotype by calling people a Tuffer just because they don't agree with your opinion? Steriotyping is not arguing. And Barnoi is a good boxer not a great "striker" and did get beat by Pete Sell.

Last edited 2/1/07 11:36PM server time by aceprone
2 total post edits

Post #44   2/1/07 10:50:31PM   

Rampage_Soldier

MMA Regular

Rampage_Soldier Avatar

Career:281-205
Camp: Fists of Fury
Chips:
It's a toss up between The Spider and Mirko...

Post #45   2/2/07 1:06:51AM   

Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5