Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Who do you think is the best overall striker in MMA?

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,916-1,077
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'd have to say Anderson Silva. He does everthing well, punch. kick, clinch, knees, elbows and has the best footwork I've seen in MMA.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   1/31/07 11:46:33PM   

slammadowg

Deactivated

Career:11-6
Chips:
Yeah, i would say anderson too.Followed closely by Mirko, but anderson is way too accurate for his own good and he's packin some power too.

Post #2   2/1/07 12:00:19AM   

BabbyHughes

MMA Regular

BabbyHughes Avatar

Career:623-389
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
Yeah, definately Anderson Silva. Although Hermes Franca has some pretty accurate hands... I love the blind hooks, they're deadly.

Post #3   2/1/07 1:18:04AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,654-1,006
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
It's hard to look past Chuck or Gomi... but I guess Anderson is the overall best striker att.

Post #4   2/1/07 1:21:48AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Chips:
Cro-Cop is right up there with Anderson.

I think the rankings would be

1. Anderson Silva
2. Cro-Cop
3. Fedor
3. Chuck Liddell
4. Little Nog
5. Gomi
6. GSP
7. Shogun
8. Wandi
9. Rich Franklin
10. Luke Cummo, just because I love his knocks in the TUF show...bad ass of the show!

I know these rankings aren't perfect because I just thought of them the best I could, off the top of my head, in the best order I could think of. Completely open for discussion.

Last edited 2/1/07 1:30AM server time by aceprone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/1/07 1:29:23AM   

amik

MMA Regular

amik Avatar

Career:71-38
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
Manhoef or lil nog.

Post #6   2/1/07 1:40:13AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Chips:
Manhof is bad ass too....I wish he'd come to the ufc.

Post #7   2/1/07 1:42:43AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:
If it's top 10

1. A. Silva
2. Cro-cop
3.K. cope
4.Lil Nog
5.Arlovski
6. Gomi
7.Sylvia( I hate to say it, but his striking is very disciplined)
8. Manhoef
9. Franklin
10. Hunt

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #8   2/1/07 1:55:17AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Ludwig has taken quite a few people apart, although I'd say Crocop definitely.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #9   2/1/07 2:43:42AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

If it's top 10

1. A. Silva
2. Cro-cop
3.K. cope
4.Lil Nog
5.Arlovski
6. Gomi
7.Sylvia( I hate to say it, but his striking is very disciplined)
8. Manhoef
9. Franklin
10. Hunt

Wow, Chuck's not in your top 10!

Post #10   2/1/07 2:43:58AM   

slammadowg

Deactivated

Career:11-6
Chips:
I really dont think chuck is really one of the best strikers out there. i know im going to get flamed for this but really, he's very sloopy and misses a good percentage of his punches. Without his KO power i think he would basically only have takedown defense, but of course this is not the case. I just think that to be a good striker you need to have good technique and i dont really see that in chuck. Also, this is not a case of me not liking chuck, i think hes a great fighter and all the power to him, but i just dont think he has what it takes to be up there with the likes of Anderson or Mirko.

Last edited 2/1/07 2:54AM server time by slammadowg
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   2/1/07 2:47:26AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Chips:

Posted by slammadowg

I really dont think chuck is really one of the best strikers out there. i know im going to get flamed for this but really, he's very sloopy and misses a good percentage of his punches. Without his KO power i tihnk he would basically only have takedown defense, but of course this is not the case. I just think that to be a good striker you need to have good technique and i dont really see that in chuck. Also, this is not a case of me not liking chuck, i think hes a great fighter and all the power to him, but i jsut dont think he has what it takes to be up with the likes of Anderson or Mirko.

I agree huck and Wandy both are unortodox. Wandy relies on his agression , and massive amount of blows thrown to overwhelm but he is sloppy. Chuck throws almost all power punches, very few kicks, elbows, knees and stands flatfooted.They are both grreat warriors, but not very technically sound.

The Iron Code

Post #12   2/1/07 2:52:06AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:

Posted by slammadowg

I really dont think chuck is really one of the best strikers out there. i know im going to get flamed for this but really, he's very sloopy and misses a good percentage of his punches. Without his KO power i tihnk he would basically only have takedown defense, but of course this is not the case. I just think that to be a good striker you need to have good technique and i dont really see that in chuck. Also, this is not a case of me not liking chuck, i think hes a great fighter and all the power to him, but i jsut dont think he has what it takes to be up with the likes of Anderson or Mirko.

I agree with you all the way. He's definitely a powerful striker, but not the most accurate. I've had this discussion many times. He's explained his overhand right as just whipping it like a ball on a chain. I think Silva has the most impressive striking with his ability to use every weapon hands, feet, elbows, and especially knees.

Post #13   2/1/07 2:54:34AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Chips:
Ok, we are doing Top 10's...

1. A. Silva
2. Cro-cop
3. Chuck
4. Gomi
5. Hunt
6. Wanderlei Silva
7.GSP
8. Aleksander Emelianenko
9. Buentello
10. Swick
10. David Loiseau

Post #14   2/1/07 2:55:18AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

Posted by slammadowg

I agree with you all the way. He's definitely a powerful striker, but not the most accurate. I've had this discussion many times. He's explained his overhand right as just whipping it like a ball on a chain. I think Silva has the most impressive striking with his ability to use every weapon hands, feet, elbows, and especially knees.

I'll take the bait.

Chuck and Wandy styles may be sloppy to you, and their technique may not be perfect for you, but it works for them. The bottom line is they throw strikes and they land. I would get killed using Chuck's style. It works for him. To me, that is the definition of Mixed Martial Arts. Taking bits and pieces of different styles and adapt them to your body style and your abilities. If the thread was titled, "who is the best technical striker" then I would completely agree with you guys.

Ok, that was my 2 cents.

Post #15   2/1/07 3:02:52AM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>