Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What K-1 (kickboxing)fighter would make the best transition to UFC or Pride?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DeadguY

MMA Regular

DeadguY Avatar

Career:246-142
Chips:

Posted by amik

It he would be incredible that Buakaw was passing to the mma.
But I believe that it he should improve his ground game.

Buakaw is a crazy MT fighter. He's had something like over 400 fights and has a good many of those go in his favor.

Post #16   2/1/07 4:12:22PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Rick Roufus, j/k they actually teach BJJ among other things at his bro Duke's gym here in Milwaukee, but Cung Le is the guy I've been waiting to see for awhile. When it comes to K-1 he is by far the best I've seen with takedowns, I'm guessing since he made the jump to PRIDE he's been working hard at fighting off his back too.

Post #17   2/1/07 5:44:45PM   

ElGuApO91

MMA Regular

ElGuApO91 Avatar

Career:14-4
Camp: El Guapo
Chips:
jerome le banner would be amazing in the ufc a little work on the ground game and he could be good

Post #18   2/1/07 9:58:40PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by hippysmacker

Yeah lebanner, actually challenged Sylvia to a fight. I have no idea about Ray's ground game, or lack of one.

I would pay big money to see JLB and Big Tim... You think Tim would abandon his standup style and go for the TD? Or is he going to try and stand and bang with LeBanner (top 5 K1 in my book)?

IMHO, nobody coming over from K1 is going to have a decent ground game compared to even B-level MMA fighter. I think that they have a tough enough time keeping their kickboxing game sharp and just plain don't have the time for it.

Have to agree though, Mirko and Hunt seemed to adapt pretty well, you don't see either of them winning by sub very often, but just having a knowledge of the ground game and being able to avoid the sub and take the fight back to their comfort zone makes all the difference in the world

I think Tim might even go the ground against Cro-cop, so it would be smart against Lebanner if he gets in trouble.

β€œNever violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #19   2/1/07 10:04:21PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Sapp would have to cut limbs off to make weight.

Ramon Dekkers could have done well if he'd come in a bit younger.

Sapp wouldn't be able to past a drug test for centuries. I've heard that he's roided so much that him cleaning out his system would take just about the same about of time it take depleted uraninum to become unradioactive. Bad joke, I know.

Post #20   2/1/07 11:45:51PM   

--Hinch--

Probably a terrorist.

--Hinch-- Avatar

Career:73-56
Camp: Platinum Mafia
Chips:
Mike Zambidis has all the tools needed for MMA. He's be my pick by far.

Buakaw's kicks, no matter how fast, will get him taken down. He's the perconification of a great striker, but in striking rules, not MMA.

Post #21   2/2/07 10:22:20AM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by hippysmacker

Yeah lebanner, actually challenged Sylvia to a fight. I have no idea about Ray's ground game, or lack of one.

I would pay big money to see JLB and Big Tim... You think Tim would abandon his standup style and go for the TD? Or is he going to try and stand and bang with LeBanner (top 5 K1 in my book)?

I think Tim might even go the ground against Cro-cop, so it would be smart against Lebanner if he gets in trouble.

He might if he catches some wicked leg kicks or nice liver kick, I guess I haven't seen much of it, but I wouldn't think that Big Tim's got the smoothest TD's, and Mirko's sprawl is uncomrehensibly quick, but occasionally the opportunity does present itself.

I really get the feeling that he will stand in there with him and try to prove all the nay-sayers wrong.

Post #22   2/2/07 10:31:09AM   

tffdwg38

Banned

tffdwg38 Avatar

Career:16-14
Chips:
Ernesto Hoost

Post #23   2/2/07 7:52:52PM   

Jazzon

Learning to Sprawl

Jazzon Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Gary Goodridge has all the skills needed to step into any MMA match right away. LeBanner, Remy Bonjasky, etc. all have to be taught a ground game first. So until they have ANY ground skills it would just be a joke to say they are ready now for MMA.

Post #24   2/6/07 8:13:06AM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by mrsumo

I would like to see Bob Sapp come to the UFC. But you did say Kickboxer so.... maybe Mark Hunt or Ernesto Hoost?

Mark Hunt is already in Pride......... Ernest Hoost is a good one though. I would love to see him in the UFC.
Bob Sapp........ well he wouldnt make the weight cut to fight in the UFCC. Not to mention he would get his ass beat down... By Big John McCarthy . You know how he is listening to the Refs.

Post #25   2/6/07 9:15:24AM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:
Mighty Mo !!!

Post #26   2/6/07 4:18:29PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
Mike Zambidi. Hes a sick stand up fighter, and he has a great build to be a very powerful wrestler/grappler over time. Plus hes just one of my favorite fighters.

Post #27   2/6/07 5:27:28PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Jazzon

Gary Goodridge has all the skills needed to step into any MMA match right away. LeBanner, Remy Bonjasky, etc. all have to be taught a ground game first. So until they have ANY ground skills it would just be a joke to say they are ready now for MMA.

Gary Goodridge already has fought in MMA for a long time, I think you misunderstood the point of the Thread. No biggie, I meant someone who is not currently in MMA

β€œNever violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #28   2/6/07 10:58:18PM   

EB

Learning to Sprawl

EB Avatar

Career:19-15
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Svartorm

After Dekkers fight with Sudo, I doubt he'd want to try it again, and he officially retired again, so thats probably right out. Bonjasky is atleast rather young, and certainly has skills, but most of K-1s golden boys are a bit too old to start fighting MMA.

Yeah Bojansky has the ability. Do you know if he has any ground skills, and or takedown defense. I have no idea. You probably have watched more k-1 than me. Most of what I've seen was on ESPN classic , Youtube, or google video.

i think bonjasky would be excellent in mma depending on his ability to adapt/train for other styles

Post #29   2/7/07 6:31:23PM   

Rua22

MMA Regular

Rua22 Avatar

Career:60-33
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
remy bonjasky or buakaw

Post #30   8/24/07 3:22:27PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3