Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Say it ain't so Joe

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kazmierz21

MMA Regular

Kazmierz21 Avatar

Career:729-446
Camp: Snatch As Snatch Can
Chips:
New York Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/01-28-2007/sports/col/story/492503p-414844c.html):
"HBO's 'Ultimate' dilemma

Talks are heating up between HBO Sports execs and representatives of Ultimate Fighting Championship that could soon end in a deal bringing the caged warriors to the pay-cable network.

If a contract gets done there are all kinds of ramifications. HBO does serious sports journalism with shows such as 'Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel' and Bob Costas' 'Costas Now.' Where would the controversial UFC fit in? Yes, boxing, HBO's marquee sports franchise, ain't exactly without its share of whacked actors, but compared to UFC it is a mainstream sport.

Also, how would HBO handle the production? Considering its history, both HBO Sports boss Ross Greenburg and executive producer Rick Bernstein would probably seek new and independent voices with no ties to UFC.

Would they do some crossover with their boxing yackers? Word is both Lennox Lewis and MeMax Kellerman, who work on HBO's 'Boxing After Dark' series, are UFC aficionados."

This wouldn't be be very good. Mike Goldberg is the voice of the UFC; he's been around since 1997. Joe Rogan adds a bit of credibility to the show and his training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu allows him to provide very good fight analysis. Randy Couture as a third man recently has also added since he's a veteran of many MMA fights and provides good insight into fighters' strategies and mindset. If the HBO wants to keep some sort of HBO influence on the show, I could understand bumping either Rogan or Couture and replacing him with Max Kellerman, who is a very big MMA fan (he got ESPN to show the weigh-ins for Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz' first fight at UFC 40 back in 2002).

Joe Rogan is one of my favorite parts of the UFC - he used to be a lot better (with his crazy nicknames and overexaggerations of fighters) - but he's still got a lot of good moments left in him - Joe not broadcasting the UFC would be like when Frank Trigg took over for Bas at Pride - what a flippin downgrade - if there is any merit to this story I will start a petition to the UFC/HBO to keep Joe Rogan on the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Joe Rogan line: "This guy has balls like steel grapefuits" - hahaha

Post #1   1/31/07 8:01:13PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,941-1,101
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I like Kellerman personally, but I agree Rogan is an integral part of the UFC.

Last edited 1/31/07 8:04PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #2   1/31/07 8:04:39PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
Alot of Joe banter recently, I hope he stays put.

Post #3   1/31/07 8:06:53PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
Yea Joe has gotten a lot of crap during the years but he's great.

Sick humour and a worthless stand-up comedian but one heck of a UFC commentator.

Post #4   1/31/07 8:13:36PM   

OchoCinco

MMA Regular

OchoCinco Avatar

Career:1,142-715
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
The only person I would want to see replace Joe if it were to happen would be Bas.

Post #5   1/31/07 8:14:01PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:

Posted by OchoCinco

The only person I would want to see replace Joe if it were to happen would be Bas.

I'll second that... Bas is the best in the business

Post #6   1/31/07 8:28:44PM   

ElGuApO91

MMA Regular

ElGuApO91 Avatar

Career:14-4
Camp: El Guapo
Chips:
he better not leave the ufc it would be stupid

Post #7   1/31/07 8:31:04PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
i'd actually prefer kellerman of goldbloom or goldberg w/e his name is

Post #8   1/31/07 9:59:36PM   

Stickan

the HAWT one!

Stickan Avatar

Career:377-180
Chips:
I like Goldbergs enthusiasm.
I guess he's just really good at what he does because it sounds like he really tries to pick up and learn as much as he can during every fight.

Then he comes and fucks everything up with some commercial comment but that's not his fault.

Post #9   1/31/07 10:10:32PM   

Reignofterror

MMA Regular

Reignofterror Avatar

Career:61-30
Chips:
Im failing to understand where the hell in that article it says anything about Joe Rogan leaving.

Post #10   1/31/07 10:12:10PM   

slammadowg

Deactivated

Career:11-6
Chips:
Goldberg pisses me off but i really enjoy Rogans commentating. People who say he knows nothing about MMA obviously dont listen to him when he speaks. He practically calls every move before it happens.

Post #11   2/1/07 12:09:50AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I guess my Directv bill is going to go up since I don't have HBO currently. HBO has to have someone other than Lewis or Kellerman, I mean, come on, can they really explain what the hell is really going on and what may come. Just being an enthuisist doesn't mean you know the intriquisies. All in all though, more exposure is good for the sport.

I too do enjoy Rogan. He is always good for an off the wall, not so appropriate for a traditional broadcaster, comment.

sorry about the spelling, too much beer/laziness to look them up.

Last edited 2/1/07 11:19AM server time by roadking95th
Edit note/reason: removed babe

Post #12   2/1/07 12:42:03AM   

Rampage_Soldier

MMA Regular

Rampage_Soldier Avatar

Career:281-205
Camp: Fists of Fury
Chips:

Posted by Reignofterror

Im failing to understand where the hell in that article it says anything about Joe Rogan leaving.

I believe this is the OP's reasoning:

Posted by Kazmierz21
Also, how would HBO handle the production? Considering its history, both HBO Sports boss Ross Greenburg and executive producer Rick Bernstein would probably seek new and independent voices with no ties to UFC.

Last edited 2/2/07 1:43AM server time by rampage_soldier
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   2/2/07 1:43:13AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,439-884
Chips:
I've made the personal migration from thinking Joe is just the schmuck from News Radio trying to make a dime while commentating, to my current status of being a confessed Joe nut-hugger. I'd would really hate to see Joe go... hell, I even thought of adding an option to the site where people could score points for correctly guessing the number of times Joe says "he got rocked!" during one PPV event. (Ok, not really, but I do like Joe.)

I did gain a bit more respect for Goldie after he turned down the offer on the "pro" wrestling deal to stay with the UFC.

No complaints about Bas or Randy either, I like the both of them and get a kick out of the Rutten accent lol

Post #14   2/2/07 1:49:59AM   

the-james

Standup Guy

the-james Avatar

Career:891-471
Chips:
I think it would be randy they would replace because hes fighting again now and probably wwont be commenting again until he retires again

Post #15   2/2/07 3:41:33PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2