Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 217: Georges St-Pierre expected to call out Conor McGregor with win over Michael Bisping

Print  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

A Face In The Crowd

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,317-807
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, at one time, was rumored to be in the running for a Conor McGregor super fight, back when “Notorious” was fooling around in the 170-pound division.

While that potential pay-per-view (PPV) bonanza may have gone by the wayside as the power-punching Irishman gears up for his first title defense, he may find himself on the receiving end of a French-Canadian call out, assuming “Rush” can win his return fight.

Link

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #1   9/22/17 3:06:17AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,698-998
Chips:
I actually think GSP can beat Bisping. Despite the layoff GSP is the ultimate professional and he's such a better athlete than Bisping too. The ufc would love GSP vs Conor but it would make even more of a mockery of what an actual title means in the ufc anymore.

Post #2   9/22/17 7:26:04AM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,664-1,025
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

I actually think GSP can beat Bisping. Despite the layoff GSP is the ultimate professional and he's such a better athlete than Bisping too. The ufc would love GSP vs Conor but it would make even more of a mockery of what an actual title means in the ufc anymore.

I agree with the exception of the mockery of the title. It all depends what happens with the belts. If they make both fighters vacate their belts in order to have a super fight, then there is no problem with it. If they let Conor take this fight and keep his belt without defending it first against the winner of Ferguson/Lee, then it is a mockery. If the fight takes place at 155, which GSP has said in the past he could make the weight (I doubt he could), then it could be for the title. Either way, both fighters should vacate their titles (assuming GSP wins, which isn't guaranteed) if they do not defend them. In my opinion a champion should have to defend the title twice a year, barring injuries, and at least once a year if injured.

Post #3   9/22/17 9:36:56AM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

They JUST said he would stay and defend against Whittaker.

I mean, I'd love to see the mega fight, but let's stop holding up the titles. Also GSP could not make 155 at his age in a healthy way. He should have been at middleweight for the last 5 years if the other middleweights weren't actually light heavyweights.

Post #4   9/22/17 10:54:34AM   

Nathan_Arizona

MMA Regular

Nathan_Arizona Avatar

Career:672-404
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I don't think I'd be able to recognize GSP if he weighed 155 lbs. Doesn't sound like a healthy move, performance-wise. He's never fought outside of WW.

Last edited 9/23/17 2:34PM server time by Nathan_Arizona
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/23/17 2:32:58PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,784-3,173
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
GSP at LW won't happen, if they fight it will be at WW were Conor has a win (over Diaz) and GSP has had a career...which could lead to a GSP vs Woodley superfight as well. I am just wondering if this will go down without Conor going to another boxing match (Paul Malinagi) or defending his LW belt against the winner of Ferguson vs Lee.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #6   9/23/17 3:27:08PM   

Five-Alive

A Face In The Crowd

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,317-807
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

They JUST said he would stay and defend against Whittaker.

Georges himself said he has a clause in his contract that if he wins he has to defend the MW belt at least once before moving weight classes. Idk if that's true or not, but when it comes down to it, the clause really means nothing since the UFC is more about business and money than anything and if the money is GSP / Conor at WW or LW then I could see them breaking that 'clause' and putting that fight together. I wouldn't mind seeing GSP / Whittaker if he can get past Bisping, though.

Post #7   9/23/17 3:43:45PM