Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is the UFC forgetting about true MMA fans...

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Like most have already stated, it is purely a "business" manuever. I do hope that once the general fans become more educated, the proper fights will be showcased. With the increase of exposure, there will be more coverage in the media. This will help with this transition.

Why can't they show all the fights on the card. At worst, they could do the pay per views in their current format and then show the remainder of the preliminary fights at the end. This could temporary solve both problems.

Excellent point. We pay $40 bucks for these PPV's and the UFC and Pride almost never show the whole card. I end up rooting for fight's to get finished fast just so I can see them all. There have been some very good undercard fights over the years that we don't see till the DVD comes out. So that's another $20.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #16   2/1/07 12:34:59AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
That would be sweet if they'd show the whole card, but that would probably also mean spending more money on the paperview.

Post #17   2/1/07 12:36:10AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Conversations like this are why I love the martial arts world.

I think there have been some excellent points brought up in this discussion. One of the things I learned in martial arts (pre-Army.. when I had time!) is that almost every dude wants to give it a try but so few are willing to stick it out for the long haul. They think there's some secret code besides hard work and lots of time that shows you how to fight. As though going to a school for a month is going to unlock a mystical power within them that will turn them into a super badass. When all they're really learning in that time is enough shit to teach them how to get their ass kicked. So they go through that first couple of months learning new and exciting things which keep them interested until they reach a sort of wall where the learning becomes much more subtle and yet deeper for those who are able to see it. The fair weather students drop off at this point, but the true hard cores stick around and become great fighters. What those fair weather students don't realize is that is the exact point at which they stop being regular joes and start turning into fighters should they continue.

I think this directly applies to the UFC fans being addressed in this post. They want to see the brutal knock out and don't appreciate the learning process going on during those strenuous minutes wrestling around on the ground. I'm sure many people on here (myself included) appreciate the middle parts of those fights at times much more than they appreciate the end.

So how do those two connect? When the fair weather UFC fan (/fair weather student type) loses his interest in a few years, the hard cores will still be around. That's when the sport will really grow to see true fruition and amazing fighters. The fans left during that time will be well educated fans who will help contribute to the sport greatly themselves. Perhaps not the UFC, but the UFC's opening of the MMA door to the mainstream will be directly related.

Just my 2 cents. I've learned through the years that true martial artists are much deeper people who are able to transcend bullshit. I don't think the mass of martial artists in this world would allow money, an out of control UFC or anything else to ruin MMA. There will always be something for the real hard cores.

As for Cote... I like the guy's perseverance and personally I think he's learned a lot in each fight he's been in. Call me crazy, but I see the potential in him. I look for his record to improve

Post #18   2/1/07 1:23:56AM   

ac_gi

Standup Guy

ac_gi Avatar

Career:1,719-1,045
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by aceprone

That would be sweet if they'd show the whole card, but that would probably also mean spending more money on the paperview.

I would be willing to pay extra for the undercards, but I'm sure other's would not. Actually, thats a great idea!

Last edited 2/1/07 1:30AM server time by ac_gi
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   2/1/07 1:29:38AM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I do know you can pay for the undercard fights on the UFC websight, but that's no fun when you got friends over.

"Hey everyone, gather around my computer!"

Last edited 2/1/07 1:39AM server time by aceprone

Post #20   2/1/07 1:31:39AM   

crimethinc

MMA Regular

crimethinc Avatar

Career:81-61
Camp: Camp Baby Dumpster
Chips:
Without the UFC (especially stateside) there would be almost no "true MMA fans." Just think back on most people's (myself included) first introduction to the world of MMA. It was UFC. There is always going to be a sense of elitism with long time MMA fans. That happens with anything that has been around longer then a decade but is just recently going mainstream. I hate watching fights with people who don't know anything about MMA and hear them say things like "why are they just dancing around and hugging each other." I wanted to fight a friends dad because he was saying that WWE fighters were tougher then these guys. The "Redneck KO" is just higly touted because American and European cultures were raised on boxing. Most people don't even know what they are looking at when they see BJJ, that's why there are no BJJ events on television. All of the TUF fighters on PPV cards are selling points. People pay to see fighters they recognize so they have someone to cheer for. That celebrity boxing was one of the stupidest shows on television, but tons of people watched it because they knew the fighters. People can say what they want about the UFC and how trendy it's making MMA but it has been a huge contribution to the sport and opened a lot of new eyes.

Post #21   2/1/07 1:45:52AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by crimethinc

Without the UFC (especially stateside) there would be almost no "true MMA fans." Just think back on most people's (myself included) first introduction to the world of MMA. It was UFC. There is always going to be a sense of elitism with long time MMA fans. That happens with anything that has been around longer then a decade but is just recently going mainstream. I hate watching fights with people who don't know anything about MMA and hear them say things like "why are they just dancing around and hugging each other." I wanted to fight a friends dad because he was saying that WWE fighters were tougher then these guys. The "Redneck KO" is just higly touted because American and European cultures were raised on boxing. Most people don't even know what they are looking at when they see BJJ, that's why there are no BJJ events on television. All of the TUF fighters on PPV cards are selling points. People pay to see fighters they recognize so they have someone to cheer for. That celebrity boxing was one of the stupidest shows on television, but tons of people watched it because they knew the fighters. People can say what they want about the UFC and how trendy it's making MMA but it has been a huge contribution to the sport and opened a lot of new eyes.

Good post

Post #22   2/1/07 2:00:09AM   

redmist

MMA Regular

redmist Avatar

Career:340-240
Chips:
i think you make a very good point. All we can hope for is that new fans will be intrested enough to educate themselves, and in time learn to appreciate all facets of the sport.

in the mean-time the onus is on guys like Machida to win and win impressively so that they can no longer be ignored.

good thread

Post #23   2/1/07 9:44:27AM   

allevil86

MMA Regular

allevil86 Avatar

Career:29-18
Camp: MidwestSwing
Chips:
Everyone in here is right on it's the $$$$$

Post #24   2/1/07 10:46:04AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by aceprone

I totally agree with you. I hate talking to someone about mma and all they can think about is "oh man, did you see that one guy get knocked out that one time?" or "man, that fight was dumb, all they did was roll on the ground." Drives me insane, because I know that there was so much more to the fight then someone getting knocked out. The thing about it is, when someone compares American MMA fans being ignorant then Japan's MMA fans, one must consider that of course Japan's mma fans are going to be educated in Martial Arts. It's their history. Martial Arts is Japan's past times. Their heroes are the stories of Samurai's and American heroe's are old west gun slingers.
With that being sad, I do wish mma organizations would better educate the audience on what's going in fight, then just someone getting knocked out. But it's going to take time for American fans to catch up to the knowledge of thousands of years of martial art knowledge of Japanese fans.

Its true Japanese fans arent as annoying as some american fans. The booing IMO is really lame but lets not forget Japanese fans boo in their own way....They Whistle! So If u hear whistling at a Pride event thats akin to booing. And as for UFC forgetting about hardcore mma fans I think that not having freak show bouts with Giant Silva vs Minowa in the UFC is a testament to their commitment to the sport, not just for hilariousness (BTW i love those giant silva fights!!!)

Last edited 2/1/07 2:27PM server time by Jeffanori-Gomi
2 total post edits

Post #25   2/1/07 2:26:52PM   

xkillerbx

Learning to Sprawl

xkillerbx Avatar

Career:142-79
Chips:
Unfortunately the die hard fans aren't the ones that pay the bills, the TUF fans are. So, they cater more to the TUF fans. Sucks for the die hards.

Post #26   2/1/07 5:45:54PM   

jmoooooo

MMA Regular

jmoooooo Avatar

Career:501-328
Chips:
another way of looking at this -

Machida, while well known by "die hard" (i hate elitist terms like that) fans is unproven in the UFC, and they already have 2 UFC debuts on the main card(rampage and crocop) and i think part of the reason smith/cote made it was to add some regulars to the mix. catering to all fans (die hard fans get to see rampage/crocop, exclusively UFC fans still get some name recognition, especially seeing as GSP/Serra isnt happening)

another way of looking at it......

while they left off Machida, which displeases hardcore, more worldly mma fans, they are also leaving off Hogar, who is a TUF fighter.....so the same question being asked here could be reversed....

another way of looking at it....

While Cote's record isnt spectacular, he usually makes for exciting fights (decision wars against Ortiz and Leben, a good fight 3rd round sub loss against joe doerkson), and has a history with UFC fans (not just "TUF Noobs" - another elitist term i hate to use)

Cote also has good creds, TKO light heavyweight champion, KOTC light heavyweight champion, MFC world middleweight champion (same org that jason macdonald fights in...and is fighting in tonight february 3) so hes not just a TUF fighter

I have been watching Cote for a long time, not just since TUF 4 (which i didnt even watch) and while im excited that Machida is in the UFC, i would rather see Cote fight.

I think the UFC isnt forgetting about "true MMA" fans....i think they are offering a good mix. two new fighters to the UFC that a lot of fans wont know much about, but still having name recognition and history as well. I think its a good balance, and thats the only way the UFC can do it to try and please everyone.

While i dont think that Cote is a big draw on a card like this, i certainly think he is a bigger draw (at this point) than Machida, with respect to the entire UFC fan base.

always more than one way to look at something......

Last edited 2/3/07 2:58AM server time by jmoooooo
Edit note/reason: for formatting

Post #27   2/3/07 2:56:51AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by jmoooooo

another way of looking at this -

Machida, while well known by "die hard" (i hate elitist terms like that) fans is unproven in the UFC, and they already have 2 UFC debuts on the main card(rampage and crocop) and i think part of the reason smith/cote made it was to add some regulars to the mix. catering to all fans (die hard fans get to see rampage/crocop, exclusively UFC fans still get some name recognition, especially seeing as GSP/Serra isnt happening)

another way of looking at it......

while they left off Machida, which displeases hardcore, more worldly mma fans, they are also leaving off Hogar, who is a TUF fighter.....so the same question being asked here could be reversed....

another way of looking at it....

While Cote's record isnt spectacular, he usually makes for exciting fights (decision wars against Ortiz and Leben, a good fight 3rd round sub loss against joe doerkson), and has a history with UFC fans (not just "TUF Noobs" - another elitist term i hate to use)

Cote also has good creds, TKO light heavyweight champion, KOTC light heavyweight champion, MFC world middleweight champion (same org that jason macdonald fights in...and is fighting in tonight february 3) so hes not just a TUF fighter

I have been watching Cote for a long time, not just since TUF 4 (which i didnt even watch) and while im excited that Machida is in the UFC, i would rather see Cote fight.

I think the UFC isnt forgetting about "true MMA" fans....i think they are offering a good mix. two new fighters to the UFC that a lot of fans wont know much about, but still having name recognition and history as well. I think its a good balance, and thats the only way the UFC can do it to try and please everyone.

While i dont think that Cote is a big draw on a card like this, i certainly think he is a bigger draw (at this point) than Machida, with respect to the entire UFC fan base.

always more than one way to look at something......

Very original point. Appreciate and like Cote too. I actually think he has a great chin(took a lot of punishment vs Tito/Leben). Cote/leben was a good war, but I think he still needs a lot of help on the ground. I'm glad they have him fighting Smith, because he likes to stand. I think Cote/Smith and probably Rampage/Eastman will be the most exciting fight's of the card. The difference being I think Cote/Smith is tougher to call, but I took Cote based on the Leben fight.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #28   2/3/07 3:24:56AM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
i made a thread similar to this one on Sherdog about a month ago...got like 200 replies in like 3-4 hours

i said why dont UFC make their PPV a good solid 4 hours long? from 2 1/2-3 hours......lots of people were saying 4 hours was too long..and i was like..u kidding?

some people were saying that the reason they dont make 4 hour PPV was because blocks of PPV time were bought in sections of 3 hours,but thats not true cuz most Boxing sceduled time is 4 hours but most of the times finish early(yeah i am Huge boxing fan too)............what the hell am i talking about???(stoned).....

anyways...i do think UFC needs to do something to cater more to us true fans....maybe they can show the unaired undercards free on spike the following week....

they also piss me off when they try to charge us on UFC website,just so you can talk in their forums and chats....like if they dont make enough money from advertising from their sponsers.....i guess only true fans have money to waste

like some girl said from this tv channel i watch(g4..video game channel)...."if you see ads,you should get free stuff"....if they are charging us $40 and them making a Shit load of money with Advertising then we deserve an extra hour

4 hour PPV would put a smile on my face

This post was brought to you by

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #29   2/3/07 3:46:48AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
One of the big parts of the 3 vs 4 hour debate should have been the bar issue.

Bars that have commercial cable are charged MUCH more for PPVs than you. The bar next to where I work used to air UFC, Boxing, and Pride (because I bribed them ), but stopped because the cable company found out they weren't residential cable, but commercial and commerical cable PPVs are 6 times as much. The cost went from $40-$50 to $240-$300 overnight and they'd no longer be turning a profit, so they stopped. Adding $10 to the initial bill would just make it worse.

I personally think they should include the unaired fights as a seperate one hour PPV after the event, so if you want them, you can dish out the extra $10.

Last edited 2/3/07 4:05AM server time by svartorm

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #30   2/3/07 4:03:34AM