Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is the UFC forgetting about true MMA fans...

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
I have been a life long UFC fan. My first UFC experience was #7 when Ruas took Varlens in the finals and Oleg and Ken battled for like 35 min. It was a completely eye opening experince and turned me on to MMA for life.

I was checking out the fight card for UFC 67, and something got me thinking... Why would Tyson Griffen and Lyoto Machida be on the "May not be brodcast list", and Scott Smith and Cote are a guarenteed fight? Cote has a horrible UFC record, and Smith hasn't done much except the impressive knockout at the end of last year. Griffen might be the future of their fledgling LW div and Ryo will be a force to be reckoned with in the LHW (maybe MW if he can cut, and we could see a Rich rematch) division, IMO.

My question is this: Is the UFC forgetting about us? The folks that stuck with them through the hard times. The folks that enjoy all the aspects of mixed martial arts, not just the brutality. The people that will still be here when the 'novelty' of MMA wears off on fairweather fans.

Maybe it's just me, but the UFC seems to be catering to the 'drunk read-necks' that are one of the reasons some fighters and Pride supporters continually hate on the UFC. I can't stand seeing a fighter get interviewed after a fight and look like he's begging for acceptance from a mob of goons. This makes the UFC look bad, and makes American fans look aweful. These fighters should be appreciated for the sacrifices; the blood, the sweat, the hours of training they give for this great sport, and to have the tenacity to boo them is absolutley atrocious.

Sorry I don't mean to get preachy, but it just got me thinking: Can or will the UFC and Zuffa see past the dollar signs (the present) and look into the future. Have they already forgotten where they came from? I know Dana White and Zuffa has done a great deal for the 'mainstreaming' of the sport, but are we losing the integrity of MMA along the way?

Just got me think and had me a little worried, wrote it quickly, so I hope it came out right... Flame away

Post #1   1/31/07 5:15:34PM   

ElGuApO91

MMA Regular

ElGuApO91 Avatar

Career:14-4
Camp: El Guapo
Chips:
there not forgetting about the tuf fans. i hate those redneck fans all they want is blood and they boo if the fight goes to the ground.

Post #2   1/31/07 5:21:33PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I feel the same way...but it's business. How many people (other than us die-hards) have every heard of Lyoto? Nil...Zilch. How many people know Cote and Smith from the show? Especially Smith from that ko. It really sucks that the people that actually care don't get to see these great fighters and potentially great fights just so some douchbags that don't know Frank Shamrock from Takanori Gomi gets to see "the guy from TUF." What a rip off.

Post #3   1/31/07 5:22:17PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ElGuApO91

there not forgetting about the tuf fans. i hate those redneck fans all they want is blood and they boo if the fight goes to the ground.

That's the truth...

It's kind of a catch 22... UFC is trying to mainstream MMA, and are attracting exactly the type of people that gave mixed martial arts a bad name in the first place.

Post #4   1/31/07 6:08:26PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:

Posted by waylon_o

I feel the same way...but it's business. How many people (other than us die-hards) have every heard of Lyoto? Nil...Zilch. How many people know Cote and Smith from the show? Especially Smith from that ko. It really sucks that the people that actually care don't get to see these great fighters and potentially great fights just so some douchbags that don't know Frank Shamrock from Takanori Gomi gets to see "the guy from TUF." What a rip off.

I know it's business, and that's what got me thinking about it... At what point is the UFC's seamingly shameless promoting going to start effecting the sport itself?

Unfortunately you can't argue with the almighty dollar, and they are bringing in the big bucks...

Post #5   1/31/07 6:13:58PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:
I agree entireley with what you are saying and it's a great discussion topic, I just really think that in five years we will be thanking the UFC for what they have done, I think they will only employ this tactic for a few years until they get the groth that they desire.

Post #6   1/31/07 6:21:38PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
that's exactly what I'm hoping for...

I'm not trying to bash the UFC, I realize that what they are doing towards the legitimization of the sport...

I guess I just had a bad vision of it possibly spiraling out of control, but in all reality you're probably right...

Just growing pains (i hope)

Post #7   1/31/07 6:35:11PM   

nate22

Belt Contender

nate22 Avatar

Career:52-35
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

that's exactly what I'm hoping for...

I'm not trying to bash the UFC, I realize that what they are doing towards the legitimization of the sport...

I guess I just had a bad vision of it possibly spiraling out of control, but in all reality you're probably right...

Just growing pains (i hope)

It has spiralled already in a way I think, the points you made were valid, for instance about us maybe not seeing Machida and so on. This is similar to the thread yesterday about how tuf has affected ufc, my reply for that is pretty relevant for this too I think

No not at all. If I had got into the sport in 2006 instead of a number of years before then I'm pretty sure I would argue differently. No disrespect to the TUF fighters, many have really impressed and some I am now a genuine fan of.

There are so many fighters around who we know have better records, credentials and stature who should be challenging or signed in place of those catapulted by TUF. It's not the same sort of catapult as winning the belt in KOTC for example or so on, it's more of a gifthorse in my opinion. This is annoying in a way as there's fighters who I feel have missed out on oppurtunites, pushed back in line or out of line, so I know alot of fans are resentful about that.

On the other hand these TUF fighters are not exactly bums out of nowhere. Alot are on the show for a reason, yes there has been a few complete WTF's but still, overall the quality has not been too disappointing in any of the seasons.

The growth however has created alot more long term opputunities for the sport, younger fighters as a whole. It really, really has, look at what has spawned really in the light of the shows and the influx of new fans to help support the new organisations. A couple of years ago MMA was basically kept alive by the underground support, this was apparent when I first became a fan but now it has witnessed the growth to help sustain it's existence for years to come.

I feel in a way this may have sacrificed a few years and oppurtunities to some of the existing fighters, it's hard to deny there has been a number of guys who have been put out of the picture due to the influx of TUF guys on the scene. However at the same time they have allowed for UFN and the rest of the growth that's seeing so many more events a year, deeper cards and stacked divsions with many guys with top ten potential.

The UFC have done an amazing job in terms of helping the sport grow and make alot of money for themselves at the process. At the same time they have created a brilliant MMA organisation and we have not even began to reap the benefits of their recent acquistions and business orientation, it's a good year ahead.

I get to see UFC in Manchester and there's one this weekend and there was one last. It's all good :)

Post #8   1/31/07 6:38:35PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,025-1,145
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think these are valid concerns, but it doesn't matter becasue so many of these fights are mismatches that they will be over quick. We might get to see every fight on the card. As for Smith/Cote it's one of the few competitive fight's on the card.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #9   1/31/07 7:25:29PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I really don't think the UFC is forgetting about the hardcore mma fans. They are bringing Cro Cop over right? And they do have Rampage and Machida, just because they're not going to show Machida they're doging the hardcore fans? The thing someone has to remember is most of American mma fans aren't hardcore fans. So I think they're trying their best to please both crowds. MMA is still growing, so don't count anything out yet.

Post #10   1/31/07 7:30:36PM   

tffdwg38

Banned

tffdwg38 Avatar

Career:16-14
Chips:
i want to see all fights on the cards i hate paying 40 bucks a payview and only seeing 7 out of the 9 fights its bs u should at least have the option to watch them or not

Post #11   1/31/07 7:53:59PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Chips:
I'm not counting anybody out by any means, and I was just using Machida and Griffen as an example. t's not just the fights they decide to show / not to show...

It's the fact that it's hard to make a ligit argument for the sport when it carries a negative stigma throughout the majority of the US.

It can start to be counter productive to the sport when you are attracting the kinds of fans that are there for blood and guts, and don't seem to appreciate the finer points of the fight game.

I know that these sorts of people do not represent all US MMA fans (they certainly don't represent me), but they are becoming the face of UFC's MMA fans because they can't be ignored. They are lending credibility to the arguement that MMA is brutal and just feeds the animalistic hunger some people have for violence.

It has taken a long time and a lot of work to have people even consider mixed martial arts as a 'mainstream' sport, and I just think that it would be a shame if this somehow backfired and ended up detrimental to the sport.

Post #12   1/31/07 7:54:06PM   

aceprone

Standup Guy

aceprone Avatar

Career:1,037-635
Camp: Slackers
Chips:
I totally agree with you. I hate talking to someone about mma and all they can think about is "oh man, did you see that one guy get knocked out that one time?" or "man, that fight was dumb, all they did was roll on the ground." Drives me insane, because I know that there was so much more to the fight then someone getting knocked out. The thing about it is, when someone compares American MMA fans being ignorant then Japan's MMA fans, one must consider that of course Japan's mma fans are going to be educated in Martial Arts. It's their history. Martial Arts is Japan's past times. Their heroes are the stories of Samurai's and American heroe's are old west gun slingers.
With that being sad, I do wish mma organizations would better educate the audience on what's going in fight, then just someone getting knocked out. But it's going to take time for American fans to catch up to the knowledge of thousands of years of martial art knowledge of Japanese fans.

Post #13   2/1/07 12:11:49AM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,025-1,145
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by aceprone

I totally agree with you. I hate talking to someone about mma and all they can think about is "oh man, did you see that one guy get knocked out that one time?" or "man, that fight was dumb, all they did was roll on the ground." Drives me insane, because I know that there was so much more to the fight then someone getting knocked out. The thing about it is, when someone compares American MMA fans being ignorant then Japan's MMA fans, one must consider that of course Japan's mma fans are going to be educated in Martial Arts. It's their history. Martial Arts is Japan's past times. Their heroes are the stories of Samurai's and American heroe's are old west gun slingers.
With that being sad, I do wish mma organizations would better educate the audience on what's going in fight, then just someone getting knocked out. But it's going to take time for American fans to catch up to the knowledge of thousands of years of martial art knowledge of Japanese fans.

Agreed. I would add that most of the people at the fight's live probably aren't the most hardcore fans. It's become the place to be now , and you need a lot of money to be there. Obviously as a whole their are more knowledgable MMA fans in Japan, us diehards just usually happen to be watvhing it on PPV..

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #14   2/1/07 12:23:41AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Like most have already stated, it is purely a "business" manuever. I do hope that once the general fans become more educated, the proper fights will be showcased. With the increase of exposure, there will be more coverage in the media. This will help with this transition.

Why can't they show all the fights on the card. At worst, they could do the pay per views in their current format and then show the remainder of the preliminary fights at the end. This could temporary solve both problems.

Last edited 2/1/07 11:18AM server time by roadking95th
Edit note/reason: removed babe

Post #15   2/1/07 12:26:00AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3