Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Just had my wisdom teeth cut out.

Print  
Posted By Message

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,364-1,473
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
This morning I finally got all 4 wisdom teeth and 1 other tooth that needed to come out cut out. I'm not concerned about the non wisdom tooth. Even with it finally be in done and over with after about 3 weeks of apprehension and nervous tension because of my fear of needles, loathing of dentists and in general people rooting around in my mouth, I'm still nervous. I've never had teeth pulled or anything before.

Has anybody else here on the pg had this done? What was your experience like? Will I be able to go back to work Monday and go all out on the job like I normally do? What kind of stuff should I be mindful of? So many questions. Hoping more first hand accounts can ease my mind or give me an idea what to expect.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #1   9/8/17 7:28:21PM   

shaneTpain

GSP > everyone else

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:3,627-2,417
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I had my wisdoms out 8 years ago.. it's honestly not that bad. Other then being mega hungry for a couple days due to no solids.. you'll be fine big guy! Stock up on yogurt & pudding & you're gravy

Post #2   9/8/17 8:12:11PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,839-2,014
Chips:
They will check your blood pressure and pulse. That's normal. Its not bad at all. Most likely you'll get a script for Hydrocodone. When in pain take your Hydrocodone with Motrin. The combination of the 2 mixed, which is safe, is a great pain reliever. 1 or the other by itself doesn't work as well. Ask your oral surgeon, I'm 99% sure they'll say the same thing.

And you'll have to keep your gums packed. After about 2 days you shouldn't have any discharge or blood. Be mindfull if you're a smoker, you can get dry socket. And don't drink out of a straw. The sucking on the straw could cause dry socket as well.

It's not that bad though at all. I had 3 removed on 1 visit. You'll be fine. From my experience i was nervous going in but it's not bad at all. You won't feel any pain during the procedure, just a lot of pressure from them pulling them out.

Post #3   9/9/17 3:42:09AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,910-1,164
Chips:
I've had a shit load of teeth pulled and every year it got easier. In order for braces or retainers to fit I had some pulled as a kid. That was strictly novacaine and the needle in the gums was entirely unpleasant. Still, if you've ever had braces where they put the metal band around your molar and needed a small bump ground off the tooth, you're prepared for the worst.

My wisdoms didn't come through and we're projected to grow under my back molar. This is when they cut into the gums and pull them out. I was medicated af for that procedure so it really wasn't bad. I think I got really depressed later in the day coming off the damerol (sp) but I don't recall any bad post surgery issues. I think I played baseball the next day. I remember being called chipmunk cheeks so it must have been soon after. About 3-4 weeks later I had pain on one side and it turned out to be a minor infection. The dentist got me in that day and from what I could tell, basically 'popped' the infection and it went away.

This was all 14 years ago so details are a little fuzzy but I have no strong recollection of any real post surgical issues.

Now if we could turn this into an eye surgery thread, I'd love to talk to anyone who got prk. They won't give you Lasik if you tell them you do any combat sports.

Post #4   9/9/17 7:06:33AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,741-1,015
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i actually had the same thing done as you. 4 wisdom teeth came out and an extra one at the back too. I went to the dentist and got an X-ray and the dentist said i needed to go under as my wisdom teeth had extra deep roots.

Anyway got the procedure done, think i was under for about an hour and a half. Came to and was a bit groggy but felt fine. Got some strong codeine pills and my head basically swelled like a football. I was fine other than a lot of swelling for about 4-5 days but without the pills i would have been in a lot of pain during that time. Not eating solid food for a few days was very annoying too

Post #5   9/9/17 8:32:08AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,877-2,686
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Looking for teeth wisdom?

Sorry, don't have much to add. Pretty much what everyone else has already said.

Post #6   9/9/17 8:46:11PM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,364-1,473
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Thanks everyone. Helps ease my mind. So far my second day is going kind of smooth. I'm supposed to be able to brush my teeth very gently, but me and gentle don't go overly well together so I think I'll try that tomorrow. So far there hasn't been a whole lot of pain. More just general annoying soreness. Maybe that's all the max strength ibuprofen doing its job though. Still a little worried about a possible infection. My mom had an infection from a removed tooth and said it was horrible. So far so good though.

Post #7   9/9/17 9:49:22PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,155-2,967
Chips:
No wisdom teeth but I've had teeth pulled in the past. My only advice is that if you're a smoker avoid it like the plague until the area heals itself and then go to town like you've never smoked before. Always made me feel better quickly.

Post #8   9/10/17 12:49:05PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,906-2,697
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
When I was 17 had braces
They had to cut a tooth out. I could feel it being cut out.
But my teeth are still straight. Yeah I need my wisdom pulled next year or so

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #9   9/17/17 5:52:51PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,103-1,461
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I have had mine out before. Recovery time was a bit longer than expected, about a week. Had a good friend get his pulled and went water skiing later that day. Everyone takes the surgery different.

Post #10   9/18/17 2:53:20PM