Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bellator NYC Recap: Aaron Pico's pro debut ends in disaster, 24-second submission loss

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:5,215-2,886
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There are no guarantees in the fight game. Bellator's prized prospect, 20-year-old Aaron Pico, learned that the hard way on Saturday.

Making his professional mixed martial arts debut at Bellator: NYC, Pico (0-1) suffered a 24-second defeat at the hands of 33-year-old Zach Freeman. The lightweight fight took place inside Madison Square Garden.

Full Story

Ad: FanDuel: Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   6/25/17 10:56:32AM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:5,510-3,636
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Last night was soo Bellator...that should be a catch phrase.
Both big titles (LHW & WW) had bad fights. Well not completely bad, but generally boring fights, Davis Vader 2 was much worse than Lima Larkin. The LW fight only sucked because of what happened to Chandler's ankle...should have been a NC because Primus didn't cause the injury, Chandler just stepped wrong. Gallager, that new chich, and the dude who choked out the hype train (Pico) saved the event for me. That was how it was going before Fedor vs Meathead...then it was all "Holy Shit"! Thankfully they gave me a short fight before Wandy Sonnen to collect myself. Wandy Sonnen only had 1 moment of excitement, the rest was frustrating as Silva had no tdd, and no jitz! Whomever gave him a black belt must have given the same one to Vitor, and for the same reasons...I do not think they should regarded as bjj practitioners at all. Tito acted like Tito...which means to say that he is an ass hat. Oh, lastly...the commentary with Renallo and Goldie went extremely well! I hope Bellator continues to roll with them.

Post #2   6/25/17 4:29:39PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:5,491-3,027
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ranello and goldie made the commentary so much better.

Ppv cost me 15 bucks. It was a alright ppv.

Seeing pico get tapped out that quick wasnt a surprise

Post #3   6/25/17 5:10:59PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:4,541-2,391
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Ranello and goldie made the commentary so much better.

Ppv cost me 15 bucks. It was a alright ppv.

Seeing pico get tapped out that quick wasnt a surprise

Pico did have a tough opponent and he should probably go to 145lbs.

I was surprised he was a -800 favorite.

Post #4   6/25/17 5:34:27PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:3,698-2,673
Chips:
I saw this one coming a mile away. They pumped him up for months. Last night I found it very suspect when they kept saying he started wrestling at 5 and started at boxing at 9 and that he had wrestled at the highest levels? When? Where? I kept thinking....how long did he box, how long and where did he wrestle? There was no mention of any amateur MMA record, no mention of any amateur boxing, no mention of any college wrestling etc They even proclaimed he was bred to be an MMA fighter. When he said he was going to win by KO in rd 1...I laughed. I knew he was in trouble. The entire fiasco was hilarious....except Mauro's screaming that his opponent "shocked the world". That was god awful. The entire show was a heinous train wreck. The only two things that made a horribly excruciating PPV experience somewhat tolerable near the end were the two main events. Jimmy Smith was terrible as always, Mauro was annoying, Goldberg was strange, Josh Thomson was terrible on the mic....Schaub was even worse, the crowd was dead and just about everything annoying and weird that could happen...did. I have yet to feel good after watching a Bellator event. Last night was no different.

Post #5   6/25/17 7:40:21PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:2,222-1,402
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Neiman gracie showed some striking evolution and put on a solid outting against Marfone.good fight.

Heather Hardy looked green against a vet but once she got comfy she opened up and looked pretty good.with work she can be a pretty fun fighter to watch she Just needs didtance work and cardio for mma.Fun fight all in all.

James Gallagher is a beast he ran through machida unscathed he's one of my fav fighters in bellator he will be a star fir them.Great fight.

Davis vs Bader was lackluster both guys started slow and never seemed to find a rhythm in a drawn out decision win for Bader.Not a great fight

Pico vs freeman.....lol wow Pico had no respect and learned a valuable lesson.Pico just tried to throw off a one two and got countered,rocked and submitted.Great OMG monent and good for freeman now he will get some push.Pico will be back and i can't wait.

Chandler vs primus was a travesty shoulda been a no contest but its nyc stupid commission and employees something was bound to go wrong.Mike is tough he tried to keep going but no go bro lol hope he heals can't wait for him to be back.

Lima vs larkin was more technical then i would have liked.Lima is more of a counter guy i knew that'd be his gameplan but i assumed larkin would be aggressive anywsy..,,,nope he respected lima and tried a point kickboxing approach.Wasn't a terrible fight but didn't live up to expectations.Good for lima and Bellator though that he won and solidified Bellator has some divisions that have serious talent.

Fedor vs Meathead.,,,,,,ARE YOU KIDDING ME?both guys land both drop but meathead gets up quicker and pounces.Watching replay you see fedors punch lands but not perfectly you see it dig into meatheads shoulder helping push him down.I loved this fight my favorite of the night.Meathead gets the premier name on his name and fedor will be back for atleast 1 more fight i think with the option of a third before possibly renegotiating or retiring or going somewhere else.

Wandy vs chael.....this fight stunk with moments of decency wandy rocked chael but had zero takedown defense.Chael worked him over in pretty much exactly what i thought would happen.

Overall it wasnt a bad night even considering all the freakish events haha.I paid 40$ for high definition so not bad i think.

Commentary with goldie and mauro with jimmy smith was superb.I'm going out on a limb and say it was the best commentary team i've seen in mma.Goldie isn't as annoying when you have jimmy actually dissecting a fight rather then spazzing out like rogan does sometimes.Everyone was on point and i love the production values and generally how it was presented.

Im genuinely interested in what their ppv buys turn out to be.

Last edited 6/25/17 8:02PM server time by fka
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   6/25/17 7:58:30PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:4,541-2,391
Chips:
I mentioned James Gallagher vs AJ McKee but then Budge mentioned the idea of Gallagher vs Noad Lohat.

That sounds like an excellent idea as well. That way Bellator won't have to worry about one of their prospects getting an L on their record.

Last edited 6/26/17 2:33AM server time by JLS
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   6/25/17 11:39:07PM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I saw this one coming a mile away. They pumped him up for months. Last night I found it very suspect when they kept saying he started wrestling at 5 and started at boxing at 9 and that he had wrestled at the highest levels? When? Where? I kept thinking....how long did he box, how long and where did he wrestle? There was no mention of any amateur MMA record, no mention of any amateur boxing, no mention of any college wrestling etc

The boxing is overblown, but he was good at it 10 years ago.

The wrestling is pretty much off the charts though. He did phenomenally well all over the world for the last 3 years. It doesn't get much better at 145 lbs than him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Pico

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #8   6/26/17 12:12:02PM   

scoozna

10 Year Service Award Winner

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,952-1,717
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I saw this one coming a mile away. They pumped him up for months. Last night I found it very suspect when they kept saying he started wrestling at 5 and started at boxing at 9 and that he had wrestled at the highest levels? When? Where? I kept thinking....how long did he box, how long and where did he wrestle? There was no mention of any amateur MMA record, no mention of any amateur boxing, no mention of any college wrestling etc They even proclaimed he was bred to be an MMA fighter. When he said he was going to win by KO in rd 1...I laughed. I knew he was in trouble. The entire fiasco was hilarious....except Mauro's screaming that his opponent "shocked the world". That was god awful. The entire show was a heinous train wreck. The only two things that made a horribly excruciating PPV experience somewhat tolerable near the end were the two main events. Jimmy Smith was terrible as always, Mauro was annoying, Goldberg was strange, Josh Thomson was terrible on the mic....Schaub was even worse, the crowd was dead and just about everything annoying and weird that could happen...did. I have yet to feel good after watching a Bellator event. Last night was no different.

I have to agree with everything here. Well done, Sir.

Post #9   6/26/17 4:38:34PM