Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

‘Jacare' Souza to become free agent after Saturday's UFC on FOX 24 event

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:5,376-2,966
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza is headed to free agency.

Souza (24-4, 1 NC) has one fight left on his current UFC contract, and he'll complete it this Saturday when he meets Robert Whittaker at UFC on FOX 24 in Kansas City, Mo.

Full Story

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #1   4/10/17 11:50:32PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:2,476-1,613
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Come on home to BELLAFORCE lol

Jacare and moose saucy are free agents.....very interesting...

Ufc would be smart to throw the cash their way and retain these world class top 5 talents.

Post #2   4/11/17 12:25:34AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Chips:

Posted by FKA

Come on home to BELLAFORCE lol

Jacare and moose saucy are free agents.....very interesting...

Ufc would be smart to throw the cash their way and retain these world class top 5 talents.

They would be smart to, but I don't think they will make a serious offer to either.

I think the UFC is letting a lot of fighters leave via free agency to harpoon the lawsuit former fighters brought against them.

It's going to be hard for them to argue that the UFC is destroying competition in the MMA marketplace when they are losing fighters to Bellator and Rizin.

With the UFC cutting costs all over the place, it's going to end up driving fighter pay into the toilet.

Post #3   4/11/17 1:14:24AM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,051-4,025
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
The UFC needs to keep both these guys, and they need to re sign Krylov and Horiguchi asap.

Post #4   4/11/17 11:38:56AM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
The lawsuit is more about past damages then the current landscape.When zuffas scorched earth policy was in full effect it was definitely more monopolized then right now,i think if they let these guys go its because of the bottom line.

Right now new ufc owners are attempting to drop pay from 55Million to 27million so expect more purging.They also stand to gain a hundred somethin million if they meet financial incentives so we see fights like GSP vs Bisping.

Its a very wild time.......but there is 0 excuse for not keeping 2 top 5 guys who both are in line for the title.They both have exclusive negotiations period with the UFC but i just read COKER daid he'd talk to both if they became free agents.......come home fellas.......come home

Post #5   4/11/17 4:53:19PM   

Michael_Corleone

I'm knocking out all bums

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:2,662-1,532
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Jacare doesn't move the needle. Sorry.

Post #6   4/11/17 5:14:01PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Chips:

Posted by FKA

The lawsuit is more about past damages then the current landscape.When zuffas scorched earth policy was in full effect it was definitely more monopolized then right now,i think if they let these guys go its because of the bottom line.

Right now new ufc owners are attempting to drop pay from 55Million to 27million so expect more purging.They also stand to gain a hundred somethin million if they meet financial incentives so we see fights like GSP vs Bisping.

Its a very wild time.......but there is 0 excuse for not keeping 2 top 5 guys who both are in line for the title.They both have exclusive negotiations period with the UFC but i just read COKER daid he'd talk to both if they became free agents.......come home fellas.......come home

A large part of the lawsuit is claiming the UFC has a monopoly on the top fighters in the sport. That doesn't center around them previously having one, the fighters are claiming that the UFC currently has one.

The loss of fighters to Bellator and RIZIN will almost certainly result in that specific part of the suit being tossed out.

As for the 2 guys potentially being let go, I agree completely that they should be working to keep both, but I think they look at both as being guys that don't sell tickets or PPV's and they probably fear either winning a title for that reason.

Bellator and the UFC both have the same problem right now. Their most talented fighters don't really sell PPV's or tickets all that well. They seem to be tackling the issue differently though.

Bellator has no issue headlining the people they think will sell the best even if it means devaluing their title by putting the title fight on the undercard. The UFC refuses to do that, although they still manage to cheapen their titles by manipulating the match-ups to get their better sellers into title shots while keeping the more talented fighters who don't sell well out of them.

Both will likely end up costing the companies fighters. I can't see Bellator's title holders wanting to stick around when they are playing second fiddle to senior citizens who don't want to retire yet. On the UFC front I don't see guys like Mousasi, Jacare and fighters like them sticking around to fight for a promotion that markets itself as the best of the best but who really only cares about your selling power rather than your talent.

I don't think either method is good for the sport, and neither are very good for us fans either.

Post #7   4/11/17 6:09:19PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
Yes i know the lawsuit includes the current landscape but fighters are seeking retroactive compensation for previous monopoly tactics as well.Letting a few guys go to other promotions to cut the cost down doesn't really clear their name or change much really.

Bellator and UFC are in somewhat of the same predicament but it kinda seems like Bellator is on the expansion plan where the UFC is plateaud a bit.

Ufc is cutting fighters to cut costs and payroll down by half and making unwarranted matchups to get ppv buys to make quotas to make money from the buyout.

Bellator is giving coker more money to acquire talent,viewership is up so far in 2017 by 26% over 2016.They are using over the hill fighters to sell their ppv.

Both brands are having issues with marketing but it would seem ufc is pennypinching while bellator is opening up the pocketbook......not saying ufc is gonna be #2 anytime soon but the gap sure is closing.

Post #8   4/11/17 8:59:00PM   

Volcano1990

MMA Regular

Volcano1990 Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
cant they just re sign him? they should never let someone that skilled walk

Post #9   4/12/17 4:49:44AM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
Pretty sure both guys have non tampering periods or exclusive negotiations period with the ufc in their contract,but if they can't come to terms in that window then they are free to field offers from anyone.

This is quite interesting considering both guys have expressed unsatisfaction with the ufc,but also said they were wanting to stay........we shall see how it goes down.

Post #10   4/12/17 9:42:31AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,597-1,818
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I would put money down that Jacare walks and Moose Saucey re-signs. Jacare already has a rapport with Coker. If Jacare wins against Whittaker and doesn't get an immediate title shot, he walks. More money in Bellator and he would be champ over there. UFC is dicking people around for big money fights more and more. Moose Saucey will stick around because I think he really wants that UFC title, not much more matters.

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #11   4/12/17 12:40:05PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
Actually BOTH are former STRIKEFORCE champs and both have good relationships with coker thats what makes it even more interesting tilden.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #12   4/12/17 1:02:41PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,385-1,490
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
This would be a profound waste of talent. But Dana himself said gegard isn't selling out arenas...This gegard guy must be a total bum.

Post #13   4/12/17 2:32:10PM