Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva to headline Bellator pay-per-view event at Madison Square Garden

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:1,900-1,299
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Bellator has an historic card planned for later this year.

A grudge match between Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva will headline Bellator 180, a pay-per-view event set for Madison Square Garden, promotion officials confirmed with MMA Fighting on Monday. The Associated Press broke the news. The card will take place June 24 in New York City.

link

Post #1   3/20/17 7:33:02PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:1,464-955
Chips:
Wow nice.

MSG .......PPV.......

Chael vs wandy is definitely a fight i'd like to see happen and should draw some good interest especially after the media scrums lol.

Id imagine fedor ,Bader,larkin,all on the ppv.

This card should be stacked im very interested to see not only what lineup they put together but also how Bellaforces first PPV does numbers wise against bjorn rebneys ppv attempt.

My question is who do you guys want to see on the PPV card?

Post #2   3/20/17 7:46:48PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
What is your perfect ppv card guys?

Heres mine

(Main Event)Wandy vs Chael Lhw

(Co Main)Phil davis vs Ryan Bader Lhw Championship

(Featured bout)Fedor vs Bobby Lashley Hw

Storm Shlemenko vs Hisaki Kato Mw

MVP vs Lorenz Larkin WW

Aj mckee vs Justin Lawrence Fw

Post #3   3/20/17 8:31:50PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,085-2,300
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
My idea PPV event for Bellator would have this fight on the undercard.

Post #4   3/20/17 10:06:24PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
To be clear i was going off of fights announced i think this fight should be co main,wouldnt be mad if it was just third from top as a featured bout but it is what it is.

They still are in the process of filling in its roster and right now are smart to use the bigger household names to push the ppv.I imagine chael and wandy will be like diaz and connor as far as trash talk to promote the fight and hopefully they stack the card not only with good name value fighters but also good matchmaking to ensure good action packed fights.

I'd be lieng if i didn't say i think the ppv attempt is a bit premature but perhaps its viacom testing the waters to see how profitable the Bellator brand is seeing how it translates into ppv buys.

If they could make a decent profit from ppv and see its a viable model it could be big moving forward.

Of course this is all huge whatifs......cokers smart lets see what card they build.

Post #5   3/20/17 11:09:26PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,408-2,856
Chips:
Fedor vs Rampage
Wanderlei vs Sonnen
King Mo vs Bader
Rory vs Bradley
Patricio Pitbull vs Daniel Weichel

Post #6   3/20/17 11:15:17PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,085-2,300
Chips:

Posted by FKA

To be clear i was going off of fights announced i think this fight should be co main,wouldnt be mad if it was just third from top as a featured bout but it is what it is.

They still are in the process of filling in its roster and right now are smart to use the bigger household names to push the ppv.I imagine chael and wandy will be like diaz and connor as far as trash talk to promote the fight and hopefully they stack the card not only with good name value fighters but also good matchmaking to ensure good action packed fights.

I'd be lieng if i didn't say i think the ppv attempt is a bit premature but perhaps its viacom testing the waters to see how profitable the Bellator brand is seeing how it translates into ppv buys.

If they could make a decent profit from ppv and see its a viable model it could be big moving forward.

Of course this is all huge whatifs......cokers smart lets see what card they build.

Bellator doesn't employ enough fighters to follow a PPV model. They can do one offs here and there, but their roster isn't deep enough to hold them regularly.

They've already announced the main and co-mains for the card, and it would be insulting to use their title holders as undercard fights.

With all the names they've signed recently its absolutely pathetic that they are headlining a PPV with 2 guys north of 40, neither of whom have won a fight in 3 years.

Coker has been doing well with signing the cream of the UFC's cast-offs but he seems more interested in building the MMA senior tour than he is building a legitimate competitor to the UFC.

Post #7   3/21/17 1:19:15AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:
To be honest I completely forgot about Sonnen & Wandy's TUF rivalry. The fans were robbed of this fight many years back, but their blatant cheating tainted the need to see this fight for me. If they both make the walk to cage, I will be interested but I will not be buying the PPV (frankly because I don't make a lot of money, but if $ wasn't an issue I'd buy it, most likely). Then they pit Fedor & Meathead as the co-main. Bit of a head scratcher for me that Fedor is willing to be the co-main on a PPV card. But, if they put any titles on the PPV (since main & co-main are established) that will be a slap in the face of their champions. Their champs have earned the right to be featured as the top of the shows, which Bellator has shown that they continually don't care about their champions by putting headliners.

Now, to play devil's advocate with myself. I would not be terribly upset if they are using their first PPV to garner buys with names, and having the 3 opening fights on the card be all title fights. It would be sick to see it..

Main: Fedor v Meathead (vacant HW championship)
Co-Main: Sonnen & Wandy
Phil Davis v Ryan Bader (LHW championship)
Douglas Lima v Lorenz Larkin (WW championship)
Justin Wren v INSERT (purely selfish wish to get his story out there)

But it looks like title fights on this card will be minimal or not at all with their champs being booked currently:

WFW - Budd - fought March 3
MW - Carvahlo - booked April 3 v Manheouf
BW - Dantas - booked April 14 v Higo
FW - Strauss - booked v Pitbull April 28th...for the fucking 4th time...

On a side note, why book Rory v Daly if the PPV is right around the corner? Why not give him the title shot against Lima right away? Marketable champions is what this org. needs, now.

Post #8   3/21/17 11:44:26AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,400-2,837
Chips:
I think this will be a flop unless it is 20 bucks or less. PPV hasn't shown to be viable, I think this a sign that Bellator is losing money still and Coker is making a last ditch effort so save his version. I wouldn't be surprised to see them either fold or dump a lot of the bigger names in the next year. I hope not I like Bellator but a PPV seems like what most orgs do right before they make major changes or fold. I would not buy this PPV, I have no interest in seeing a shit talking dad bod Sonnen fight a broken down Wanderlei. These legends fights so far have been a shit show.

Post #9   3/21/17 1:35:08PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,324-802
Chips:
12 Years too late for Wanderlei
7 Years too late for Chael

4 Years after all the beef they had in the past

Dirty Blue

Post #10   3/21/17 5:11:34PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,468-2,426
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Bellator ppv
Cheater vs cheater

Post #11   3/21/17 6:41:16PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
I've chatted with a few of my contacts and i'd like to address some things.

"Bellator doesn't employ enough fighters to follow a PPV model. They can do one offs here and there, but their roster isn't deep enough to hold them regularly."

Bellator will be making its roster bigger this year I've been told adding depth to the divisions will continue through free agency as well as just signing talent they scout.However plans for a full PPV model isn't in the works in the near future.

"With all the names they've signed recently its absolutely pathetic that they are headlining a PPV with 2 guys north of 40, neither of whom have won a fight in 3 years."

I agree they shouldn't be headlining but out of the recent signings i think Davis vs Bader for the lhw belt would be the only true headliner that might draw ppv buys.Wandy and Chael are older but name value to casuals is high.Ufc had Bisping fight old man Hendo for the title after going 2-3 in the fights leading up to it losing to bigger names then he beat,leapfrogging guys who deserved it........

Just saying sometimes its all about the money brotha.

"I think this will be a flop unless it is 20 bucks or less. PPV hasn't shown to be viable, I think this a sign that Bellator is losing money still and Coker is making a last ditch effort so save his version. I wouldn't be surprised to see them either fold or dump a lot of the bigger names in the next year. I hope not I like Bellator but a PPV seems like what most orgs do right before they make major changes or fold. I would not buy this PPV, I have no interest in seeing a shit talking dad bod Sonnen fight a broken down Wanderlei. These legends fights so far have been a shit show."

I think it has a decent shot depending on what fights they put on the card.I don't think they will do a a ton of buys but they can definitely make a profit.Bellator isn't folding anytime soon viacom has given coker more finances to acquire talent and fill in the roster.This ppv is a test for future plans and to help with the direction moving forward.

"On a side note, why book Rory v Daly if the PPV is right around the corner? Why not give him the title shot against Lima right away? Marketable champions is what this org. needs, now."

They booked the daley vs rory fight in england because they own channels in that region and are targeting that area to become one of its bigger markets that fight will do good numbers over there.like i said ppv model isnt in immediate future this is a test to feel out interest and potential profits.

Again ideally chael vs wandy isnt my favorite headliner but i can see why they are doing it,If you look at the numbers from the tentpole shows they've done the older name value fights time and again produce the solid numbers.It's our own fault lol

Post #12   3/21/17 7:03:49PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Chips:
BTW im seriously considering going to this event......i've never been to east coast and what better excuse then seein fedor and wandy fight live at MSG in cokers first ppv?

I will wait to see how the card pans out but im about 70% im goin.

Post #13   3/21/17 7:33:34PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,261-1,751
Chips:
Fedor vs Meathead should be the Headliner.

It would be some good fights with Larkin vs Daley or Lima.

Bader vs McGeary.

Emmanuel Sanchez vs AJ McKee.

Dantas/Higo winner vs Caldwell.

I'm not looking at the rosters but just some off the top of my head.

Post #14   3/21/17 8:44:18PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FKA

BTW im seriously considering going to this event......i've never been to east coast and what better excuse then seein fedor and wandy fight live at MSG in cokers first ppv?

I will wait to see how the card pans out but im about 70% im goin.

Not going to lie. Would be a bit of a historic belly card to attend. Props if you do. But still don't understand why they didn't put Rory on the pic card. Owning English tv rights or whatever is cool and all but he's a draw for sure. I would think they'd stack their first ppv card. I'm not bashing it, just a little confused at the their first ppv model. That's all. I am assuming more will come to fruition soon that hopefully will validate their decision. In Coker we trust. Lol

Post #15   3/22/17 12:18:07AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2