Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva UFC 76

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Yeah its thought that someone in charge of Wanderlei's site jumped the gun and put an announcement up, even though this isnt happening.

I will take it with a grain of salt until an official UFC announcement, *edit*

yahoo news is saying silva has killed the deal...

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-liddell071107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Ultimate Fighting Championship is scrambling for a main event for the company's planned Sept. 22 show at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., after light heayweight Wanderlei Silva told UFC president Dana White through an intermediary that he did not want to fight Chuck Liddell.

White said he had reached terms for Liddell, arguably the UFC's most popular fighter and its recently deposed 205-pound champion, to meet the Brazilian Silva in a highly anticipated bout at UFC 76.

But White said Wednesday he was told by a member of Silva's Chute Box team that Silva did not want to fight Liddell. White said the deadline for having the fight made was Wednesday.

"This is the worst news I could have possibly gotten," White said. "It's horrendous. I have been trying to make this fight for six years. I have done everything in my power I could do over the last six years to make this fight and it's still not happening. I just don't see it happening now."

Last edited 7/12/07 1:12PM server time by brooklynbadass
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   7/12/07 1:10:13PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,993-1,122
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Manfred

Posted by hippysmacker

Fool me once or twice maybe shame on you. Fool me some more, shame on me. I'll believe it when I see it on UFC.com.

So true, since Dana said today it's not unlikely:
LINK

Now everyone is going to say Wandy's scared, even though he already said before Chuck's loss that he was taking 2007 off completely

Neither Wandy or Chuck is scared of anyone, and they both obviously want to fight each other. Your absolutely right, Wandy did say he's taking the year off, so I say let him have his recovery/regroup time . Even in 2008 I'll still be on the edge of my seat for this fight.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #17   7/12/07 2:22:01PM   

LR

In Full Mount

LR Avatar

Career:638-326
Chips:
Well, I'm going to stir it up a bit. I think this a spin game by the UFC. It may be that Silva wants the full amount of time off to train, or if we look historically at the UFC's lowballing contracts and attempts to lowball guys who have proven themselves over and over again, we could conclude that they lowballed Silva to fight Chuck.

In that case, maybe Silva said no to the offer, and then Dana decides to push this public and stamp on the "Silva backed out" sticker in order to bait Silva into fighting this fight. It's a Don King tactic that he's used a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised. Of course, Don King baited some fighters, and then King's fighter got killed, but he still made a lot of money.

Post #18   7/12/07 3:08:19PM   

mma_fan_matt

MMA Regular

Career:145-79
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
By the time this fight happens I wonder if I'll even still be interested.

Post #19   7/12/07 11:43:41PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2