Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shogun Vs. Machida @ UFC 76

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Man who has machida beaten recently? Vernon white? Sam Hoger?
thank you like i said he isnt that good

Post #31   7/13/07 6:08:15PM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Man who has machida beaten recently? Vernon white? Sam Hoger?
thank you like i said he isnt that good

Dude, seriously, I don't mean to quote everything you say but how can you say he isn't that good? Him getting matched up with Shogun at least say's that he is worthy of the fight don't ya think?

Post #32   7/13/07 11:42:19PM   

elysianwing

MMA Regular

Career:1,205-789
Camp: Hands Of Fury
Chips:

Posted by StevieC

Dude, you talk to me like I don't know Shogun, I love the guy...Machida's fighting style is perfect for Rua's, you say Shogun always finds a way to win, well so does Machida, maybe in a more lackluster way, but still finds a way....

Also, I wasn't tearing down Shogun or Fedor, I think Fedor is the best in the sport, I was just trying to point out that at anytime anyone can go down(Lindland almost finished Fedor..). Did anyone think Matt Serra was going to beat GSP? Hendo beat Wandi? Gonzaga beat Cro Cop(Well, Courture but after him)?

I always have been a fan for the upset(except for Serra) so this is why I like Machida over Shogun. It's just an opinion but I never go into a fight thinking "O, Shogun easy!" especially when it is the caliber of these two fighters...It would be different if say Shogun vs Mike Nickels, then ok, Shogun easy, but Machida IMO is better than Overeem and Arona and I think will be the biggest test in a while for Rua...

I'm sorry...not to sound like a dick, as I can see you guys are having a nice arguement about who can and can't be beaten by [insert name here]...

but...

.....whuaah? at what point did Lindland "almost finish Fedor"

Moving on to the actual topic,

Many people knew Serra could finish GSP(though admittedly the belief was it would be done on the ground, not standing), many people knew Hendo could finish Wandy (if they saw the first fight, or knew anything about Hendo, anyhow), and many people knew GG could finish CC(though again most assumed it would be on the ground).

The people that couldn't see the possibility for the wins were either blindly riding the junk of their favorite fighter, or mma-retarded.

In the same respect, MANY people know Machida can win against Shogun.

Machida is a crafty fighter....everyone is assuming the fight would be between Shogun at his best, and Machida at his best....but I think you could/will probably see Shogun looking sub-par. He is used to a ring, with knees/stomps, no bows, strict stand-up rules, etc etc etc. Everyone assumes these world class fighters don't have to acclimate themselves to the new enviroment...but they are human. It takes time to adjust. ALL of CC's fights in the ufc are proof of this. Jackson/Eastman was proof of it(though Jackson's style fit pretty well in a cage, and he got used to it quick), Herring was proof of it, etc etc etc. Machida has had time to get used to the cage, Shogun has not.

A skilled (and intelligent) fighter like Machida could definitely sneak a win from Shogun.

Last edited 7/14/07 7:50AM server time by elysianwing
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #33   7/14/07 7:49:25AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:

Posted by elysianwing

Posted by StevieC

Dude, you talk to me like I don't know Shogun, I love the guy...Machida's fighting style is perfect for Rua's, you say Shogun always finds a way to win, well so does Machida, maybe in a more lackluster way, but still finds a way....

Also, I wasn't tearing down Shogun or Fedor, I think Fedor is the best in the sport, I was just trying to point out that at anytime anyone can go down(Lindland almost finished Fedor..). Did anyone think Matt Serra was going to beat GSP? Hendo beat Wandi? Gonzaga beat Cro Cop(Well, Courture but after him)?

I always have been a fan for the upset(except for Serra) so this is why I like Machida over Shogun. It's just an opinion but I never go into a fight thinking "O, Shogun easy!" especially when it is the caliber of these two fighters...It would be different if say Shogun vs Mike Nickels, then ok, Shogun easy, but Machida IMO is better than Overeem and Arona and I think will be the biggest test in a while for Rua...

I'm sorry...not to sound like a dick, as I can see you guys are having a nice arguement about who can and can't be beaten by [insert name here]...

but...

.....whuaah? at what point did Lindland "almost finish Fedor"

Moving on to the actual topic,

Many people knew Serra could finish GSP(though admittedly the belief was it would be done on the ground, not standing), many people knew Hendo could finish Wandy (if they saw the first fight, or knew anything about Hendo, anyhow), and many people knew GG could finish CC(though again most assumed it would be on the ground).

The people that couldn't see the possibility for the wins were either blindly riding the junk of their favorite fighter, or mma-retarded.

In the same respect, MANY people know Machida can win against Shogun.

Machida is a crafty fighter....everyone is assuming the fight would be between Shogun at his best, and Machida at his best....but I think you could/will probably see Shogun looking sub-par. He is used to a ring, with knees/stomps, no bows, strict stand-up rules, etc etc etc. Everyone assumes these world class fighters don't have to acclimate themselves to the new enviroment...but they are human. It takes time to adjust. ALL of CC's fights in the ufc are proof of this. Jackson/Eastman was proof of it(though Jackson's style fit pretty well in a cage, and he got used to it quick), Herring was proof of it, etc etc etc. Machida has had time to get used to the cage, Shogun has not.

A skilled (and intelligent) fighter like Machida could definitely sneak a win from Shogun.

Sweet, nice post, maybe I worded the Fedor comment wrong, I was talking about at the beginning of the fight where Lindland caught Fedor and he stumbled into the ropes and when Lindland tried to finish it was when Fedor got him into an armbar...

Post #34   7/14/07 11:59:43AM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Dude, seriously, I don't mean to quote everything you say but how can you say he isn't that good? Him getting matched up with Shogun at least say's that he is worthy of the fight don't ya think?
ok i see what your saying there ok ill rephrase i dont think he is as good as lets say,shogun,liddell,ortiz,sokudujo,hendorson, or wandiand a few more.

Post #35   7/16/07 1:40:57AM   

thejuice

Learning to Sprawl

thejuice Avatar

Career:8-11
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
Shogun won't have a problem adapting. He adapted to the NSAC rules in his two PRIDE fights in Vegas with two of his most impressive wins. A kneebar over Randleman and the best GNP finish in history vs Overeem. Both inside the first round.

Machida is amazing, I think he's top 5 for sure, maybe even better (he hasn't faced elite competition) but I think Shogun is on a different level as a fighter and he will hand Machida his first loss.

Post #36   7/16/07 2:30:22AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Either way it'll be a great fight.

Post #37   7/16/07 3:17:58AM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,699-1,174
Chips:
SHOGUN is the next MMA superstar demi-god
Its just waiting to happen

He easily obliterates all opponents.
Lyoto is just another stepping stone that Shogun will mash into the ground.
Another highlight clip for his already impressive reel

Shogun will out-stand, then out-grapple, then out-stand Lyoto
Then he will Knock him out. In the first round.
Thats what Shogun does. He's a freak.
The ref will stop the fight out of horror if he's quick enough.

And Shogun will be very well known for it.

Thanks.

Post #38   7/17/07 12:54:17AM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,699-1,174
Chips:
If any one thinks that Lyoto will expose a weakness of Shoguns they are wrong.
And it will end messy.
I've heard that Shoguns first martial art was BJJ since around the age of 5, and if thats close to being true then that makes him a very good grappler.
He only later took on Muay Thai at the Chute Boxe Academy because his brother did it. And quickly became the rising star of the gym.

And the absence of knees and stomps on the ground won't effect him too much.
He's been waiting to unleash his elbows. That will be enough for him.
We've seen glimpses of his deadly body elbows in Pride.
We will see more now.

Thanks.

Post #39   7/17/07 1:10:47AM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
NO more MAchida.... now it's Forrest ......
What happened with Machida???
dunno
Still don't know if it's Official
hmmmm

more interesting... but Shogun win anyway....

run Forrest run!

http://forums.mmaweekly.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24978&posts=12&start=1

Post #40   7/17/07 2:29:06PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3