Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Shogun Vs. Machida @ UFC 76

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Rua22

MMA Regular

Rua22 Avatar

Career:60-33
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
This is a matchup alot of us have been waiting for. Of course I am pulling for Rua, but if anyone can offset his style it would be Lyoto. Rua will have to adapt his fighting style to the UFC rules, regardless this fight is gonna be sweet.

Post #16   7/11/07 3:14:02PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Cool. I guess we will just have to see bro.....I like Shogun, so don't get me wrong....I also saw him lose to Sobral, there are holes...I was really trying to say that Machida is good at finding your weakness....TKO, submission, Judges D, I was just saying I think Machida will win IMO...
that was a while ago shogun has this he is my number one lhw and i donteven have machida ranked.

Post #17   7/11/07 5:21:24PM   

italianpride

MMA Regular

italianpride Avatar

Career:23-17
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
Yeah I was going to say his fight vs Babalu he was what 21? And largely inexperienced. I'd like to see somebody choke him out now after watching him out work Arona and Lil Nog on the ground.

Post #18   7/11/07 8:21:57PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Chips:

Yeah I was going to say his fight vs Babalu he was what 21? And largely inexperienced. I'd like to see somebody choke him out now after watching him out work Arona and Lil Nog on the ground.

Post #19   7/11/07 9:40:45PM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Cool. I guess we will just have to see bro.....I like Shogun, so don't get me wrong....I also saw him lose to Sobral, there are holes...I was really trying to say that Machida is good at finding your weakness....TKO, submission, Judges D, I was just saying I think Machida will win IMO...
that was a while ago shogun has this he is my number one lhw and i donteven have machida ranked.

O, ok so since YOU don't have Machida ranked I will just submit my opinion to you O mighty TOMMYAY005.......Please give me a break bro, you not having Machida ranked just show's how much you don't know fighters outside the "Big Names"

If Shogun wins, Great!, I like him, I just think Machida will pull it out...This is a fight that Shogun could look past i.e. GSP vs Matt Serra...

Post #20   7/12/07 9:41:00AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by italianpride

I know it was a while ago, I was just making a point that he can lose. Like Fedor, Shogun is human and can be defeated.

I hate how people talk about fighters like they are unbeatable.

Post #21   7/12/07 9:43:37AM   

Titosux

Learning to Sprawl

Titosux Avatar

Career:261-189
Chips:

Posted by StevieC

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

O, ok so since YOU don't have Machida ranked I will just submit my opinion to you O mighty TOMMYAY005.......Please give me a break bro, you not having Machida ranked just show's how much you don't know fighters outside the "Big Names"

If Shogun wins, Great!, I like him, I just think Machida will pull it out...This is a fight that Shogun could look past i.e. GSP vs Matt Serra...

I see what your saying about Machida, although I do think Shogun will win. I do however think it is absolutely hilarious what TOMMYAY005 posted! Just because Machida isn't in your top ten doesn't mean he is an instant loser...

Post #22   7/12/07 10:18:08AM   

italianpride

MMA Regular

italianpride Avatar

Chips:

Posted by StevieC

Posted by italianpride

I know it was a while ago, I was just making a point that he can lose. Like Fedor, Shogun is human and can be defeated.

Have you missed the last 4-5 years of Fedor's career??? Obviously you're a huge UFC fan, I get that. Shogun lost when he was an amateur in mma to Babalu (Shogun's BJJ is one of the best if not THE best at 205 now) and a freak injury to Coleman. Now before you say Coleman took him down, he's grasping at his ankles out of desperation and Shogun does his wild escape and falls and breaks his elbow backwards. Those are his losses, watch his fight vs Lil Nog, he always finds a way to win. He is the Fedor of 205 and while anybody can lose, they are as unbeatable as you can possibly get in the sport of mma. To think Machida will beat Shogun without describing how states a lot. Stand up at best for Machida will be equal, but wait until you see the elbows Chute Boxe will utlilize standing. Shogun has better BJJ, and better takedowns (although Machida is far from lacking in either category)

Machida is undefeated and definitely should be ranked in the top 5 (if not top 3) of the division. Too bad he has to face Shogun, this fight makes no sense.

Post #23   7/12/07 1:58:46PM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by italianpride

Posted by StevieC

Posted by italianpride

Have you missed the last 4-5 years of Fedor's career??? Obviously you're a huge UFC fan, I get that. Shogun lost when he was an amateur in mma to Babalu (Shogun's BJJ is one of the best if not THE best at 205 now) and a freak injury to Coleman. Now before you say Coleman took him down, he's grasping at his ankles out of desperation and Shogun does his wild escape and falls and breaks his elbow backwards. Those are his losses, watch his fight vs Lil Nog, he always finds a way to win. He is the Fedor of 205 and while anybody can lose, they are as unbeatable as you can possibly get in the sport of mma. To think Machida will beat Shogun without describing how states a lot. Stand up at best for Machida will be equal, but wait until you see the elbows Chute Boxe will utlilize standing. Shogun has better BJJ, and better takedowns (although Machida is far from lacking in either category)

Machida is undefeated and definitely should be ranked in the top 5 (if not top 3) of the division. Too bad he has to face Shogun, this fight makes no sense.

Dude, you talk to me like I don't know Shogun, I love the guy...Machida's fighting style is perfect for Rua's, you say Shogun always finds a way to win, well so does Machida, maybe in a more lackluster way, but still finds a way....

Also, I wasn't tearing down Shogun or Fedor, I think Fedor is the best in the sport, I was just trying to point out that at anytime anyone can go down(Lindland almost finished Fedor..). Did anyone think Matt Serra was going to beat GSP? Hendo beat Wandi? Gonzaga beat Cro Cop(Well, Courture but after him)?

I always have been a fan for the upset(except for Serra) so this is why I like Machida over Shogun. It's just an opinion but I never go into a fight thinking "O, Shogun easy!" especially when it is the caliber of these two fighters...It would be different if say Shogun vs Mike Nickels, then ok, Shogun easy, but Machida IMO is better than Overeem and Arona and I think will be the biggest test in a while for Rua...

Post #24   7/12/07 4:18:32PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Chips:

im glad you know who your daddy is!me saying i dont have him ranked doesnt mean squat i know plenty about mma im just saying i have 10 other guys in front of him so he is not among the best.,at least not the top 10.

Post #25   7/12/07 8:29:32PM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

Stomps and Soccer kicks will be replaced by elbows, then BJJ in the ground. Chute Boxe will do real good in UFC no matter what
Like italianpride said Shogun is the Fedor of the 205, agree 100% and Machida will notice it inside the octagon. There're a lot of good names now in 205, Bisping, Rampage,Griffin,Hendo.... off course once Shogun gets the title it'll be a Nightmare for all of them.

Post #26   7/13/07 1:33:30AM   

Vietnamese_Guy

Standup Guy

Vietnamese_Guy Avatar

Career:198-109
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:
Man who has machida beaten recently? Vernon white? Sam Hoger?

who has shogun beat? exactly..

shogun, lets face it, has more experience, more in his arsenal, and is a bigger 205 than machida (he cuts from 220 i believe). Machida's odds are stacked high against him.

Post #27   7/13/07 5:29:45AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Vietnamese_Guy

Man who has machida beaten recently? Vernon white? Sam Hoger?

who has shogun beat? exactly..

shogun, lets face it, has more experience, more in his arsenal, and is a bigger 205 than machida (he cuts from 220 i believe). Machida's odds are stacked high against him.

I couldn't agree with you more. Shogun does have an impressive vs record. I also agree that Machida hasn't really fought "tough" competition lately either. I just really like his fighting style. I think Shogun is sweet and if he wins I can't wait to see some of the guys he will fight for the belt...

Post #28   7/13/07 11:03:46AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
Who is Lyoto Machida?

I had to do it

People keep saying Shogun can't fight under UFC rules his last 2 of his last 3 fights have been with no stomps and he won both of those

Just imagine Shogun using a flying elbow from someone guard instead of his superman punch it is going to be sick

Post #29   7/13/07 11:51:22AM   

italianpride

MMA Regular

italianpride Avatar

Chips:

Posted by thepunisher

Who is Lyoto Machida?

I had to do it

People keep saying Shogun can't fight under UFC rules his last 2 of his last 3 fights have been with no stomps and he won both of those

Just imagine Shogun using a flying elbow from someone guard instead of his superman punch it is going to be sick

Exactly, look at that superman punch he knocked out Overeem with on the ground and the kneebar he gave Randleman. Chute Boxe is elite muay thai look at what Anderson Silva has been able to utilize with his elbows now picture Shogun elbowing guys standing and on the ground.

Post #30   7/13/07 5:59:00PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3