Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What is your favorite throw/takedown?

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Career:288-153
Chips:
I'm really partial to judo throws, my favorites there are O soto Gari (outside leg reap) and O goshi (hip throw). But my absolute favorite is this one, the Single-leg pickup into Kouchi Gari (inner leg reap), I'll try to get pictures/Video up somewhere, for the folks who need a visual aid.

Setup:1. I start in a body lock, chest to chest with both of my underhooks.

2. From here I step back, letting the underhooks go and in the same motion dropping levels to his waist.

3.I bring my hands together behind the knee of his outside/lead leg(I use a gable grip) and pick it up bringing it tight into my body.

The fun part:4. I drive my weight forward over the outside of the trapped leg, and rip their weight to the side, breaking their balance.

5. As soon as I've broken their balance, I come of my back leg, bringing it forward and then driving my foot into the back of their knee.

6. To finish I keep driving my weight forward, bringing them to the ground, and come around the outside of the trapped leg into side control.

That's my favorite TD, feel free to use it, and please, share your own!

Last edited 7/10/07 6:00PM server time by Believe-in-judo81
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   7/10/07 5:56:02PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
I'm really good at trip takedowns, I somehow find a way to get my leg around theirs and get them off balance. I suck at doubles and singles though.

Post #2   7/10/07 6:17:25PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
I love Haraigoshi and Taiotoshi, both big hop throws, Haraigoshi using a rising leg to rotate the opponents body, Taiotoshi using a leg posted to the ground to roll the opponent over.

Morotaysayonagi (sp? say it out loud, any Judo guys will know this one) is an amazing throw, once you twist into it, there is almost no evasion or counter, your opponents Gi is so wrapped up in your arms that they arent getting out. Impossible without a Gi though, has no application in MMA.

Post #3   7/10/07 6:47:16PM   

Believe-in-judo81

Standup Guy

Believe-in-judo81 Avatar

Career:288-153
Chips:
Morote Seoinage maybe? If so I love that throw too, was my last gasp throw in judo if I couldn't get anything esle to work and they let me set them up for it. But I'm a lot Like Fedorwins, Trip take downs and leg throws are a big part of my arsenal.

Post #4   7/10/07 7:04:59PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
thats the one!

I was never that awesome at the throws, but I was ace at ground work, I could snap on a cheeky choke from just about anywhere!

Post #5   7/10/07 7:07:16PM   

GnP4life

Learning to Sprawl

GnP4life Avatar

Career:187-113
Camp: Bolo Top Team
Chips:
MY favorite takedown--high crotch and single to either a sweep or sit

Throw--headlock throw

Post #6   7/10/07 7:41:46PM   

akumairon

MMA Regular

Career:77-52
Chips:
under the rainbow and i guess duck under hip throw (forget the judo name)

Post #7   7/10/07 9:39:54PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Heres a little recourse for you guys:

http://www.judoinfo.com/animate.htm

Post #8   7/11/07 2:30:53AM   

posterboy

Learning to Sprawl

posterboy Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: UFCJunkie.com
Chips:
My favorite throw these days is ure nage -- if you and your opponent are clinched up, you grab your opponent around the waist with your left arm and put your right hand at his midsection; you then rotate your whole body in a twisting reverse motion so your opponent goes over your left shoulder as you both go the ground. It's a very, very hard fall to take.

I also like drop ippon seoinage (one arm shoulder throw, executed from a kneeling position), tani otoshi (a rear double-leg reap), co uchi gari (inside foot sweep), uchi mata (inner thigh hip throw) and my new favorite, yama arashi (like harai goshi, but the right hand switches during the throw from a right lapel grip to a cross grip on the left -- you basicaly punch through the throw, creating tremendous power).

For no-gi fighting, I like uchi mata, koshi garuma (a hip throw with a grip around the back of the neck), and several of the throws listed above. I find that yama arashi, morote seoi nage and certain other throws won't work in MMA because the gi grip is so essential to proper execution of the throw (i.e, it would be very, very difficult to execute a throw like sode tsuri komi goshi without a gi because of the need to retain a grip on both wrists while twisting).

Post #9   7/11/07 10:37:05AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by posterboy
I find that yama arashi, morote seoi nage and certain other throws won't work in MMA because the gi grip is so essential to proper execution of the throw (i.e, it would be very, very difficult to execute a throw like sode tsuri komi goshi without a gi because of the need to retain a grip on both wrists while twisting).

As I noted above. Morote Seoi Nage is impossbile without a Gi, it relies on the twisting of the Gi over the elbows to create a super strong grip. Ippon seoi nage is a bit more applicable in a No-Gi situation, Ive seen that one used a few times, to varying levels of success.

Post #10   7/11/07 1:10:00PM   

spartanballin

Learning to Sprawl

spartanballin Avatar

Career:63-22
Camp: Michigan technial knock out
Chips:
rampage jackson has good throw downs

Post #11   7/11/07 1:20:14PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
head-arm hip toss

I pretty much love hip throws, as well as arm throws.

Post #12   7/11/07 1:46:38PM   

akumairon

MMA Regular

Career:77-52
Chips:
lol even after you posted that site they still didn't have that one hip toss which i use , but i did manage to find the name of the under the rain bow one, Tomoe Nage, and the other one i like to use every now and again is Yama Arashi

Post #13   7/11/07 1:52:30PM   

posterboy

Learning to Sprawl

posterboy Avatar

Career:322-195
Camp: UFCJunkie.com
Chips:

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by posterboy
I find that yama arashi, morote seoi nage and certain other throws won't work in MMA because the gi grip is so essential to proper execution of the throw (i.e, it would be very, very difficult to execute a throw like sode tsuri komi goshi without a gi because of the need to retain a grip on both wrists while twisting).

As I noted above. Morote Seoi Nage is impossbile without a Gi, it relies on the twisting of the Gi over the elbows to create a super strong grip. Ippon seoi nage is a bit more applicable in a No-Gi situation, Ive seen that one used a few times, to varying levels of success.

I wasn't arguing with you or correcting you. Just contributing to the discussion.

BTW, another good no-gi throw is sode makikomi (basically an arm drag).

Post #14   7/11/07 2:18:48PM   

ko-kbo130

MMA Regular

ko-kbo130 Avatar

Career:208-140
Chips:
favorite takedown: outside single to trip
favorite throw: duck/slip a jab to side sup

Post #15   7/11/07 2:30:38PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3