Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sean VS BJ at UFC 78

Print  
  Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Size used to not matter, ask Royce Gracie.
im not writing off sher im just saying in my opinion bj will when for the fact of his great takedown defense,flexibility,bjj,and striking.Sherk is pretty much one dimensional as you saw against franca alls he did was lay on him get stood up and then eat a knee and lay some more until the 25 minutes was up.

Post #46   7/16/07 1:38:18AM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
if bj takes this as serious as he needs to i could see him subbing sherk for the first time

or maybe even getting a tko against sherk like gsp did against him in ufc 56

but if he doesnt come like he needs to sherk will make it a long night

but i gotta go with bj

Post #47   7/16/07 2:51:47AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
look, Sherk has a decent shot at winning, but if you think he's going to FINISH BJ you're completely out of your mind. I can't believe I'm hearing people say that sherk has better GnP than Matt Hughes. Sherk has never finished off any halfway decent opponents (winning does not = finishing, sorry) and BJ has never been finished other than when he took a freak injury against hughes, and that's a lot different than being GnPed senseless. If Sherk wins at all the only way it's happening is via 5 round sherk blanket. I can't believe you guys found the franca-sherk fight entertaining. Man that was some great wrestling... pretty bad fighting though. Too bad when he gets mount he buries his head in his opponent's chest as opposed to posturing up and striking. Personally I don't find it enjoyable to watch someone transition from one position to another and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with any of them. I would go watch wrestling if I wanted to see a fight where the objective is to gain dominant position and do no damage to your opponent.

Post #48   7/16/07 3:35:43AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

look, Sherk has a decent shot at winning, but if you think he's going to FINISH BJ you're completely out of your mind. I can't believe I'm hearing people say that sherk has better GnP than Matt Hughes. Sherk has never finished off any halfway decent opponents (winning does not = finishing, sorry) and BJ has never been finished other than when he took a freak injury against hughes, and that's a lot different than being GnPed senseless. If Sherk wins at all the only way it's happening is via 5 round sherk blanket. I can't believe you guys found the franca-sherk fight entertaining. Man that was some great wrestling... pretty bad fighting though. Too bad when he gets mount he buries his head in his opponent's chest as opposed to posturing up and striking. Personally I don't find it enjoyable to watch someone transition from one position to another and do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with any of them. I would go watch wrestling if I wanted to see a fight where the objective is to gain dominant position and do no damage to your opponent.

Sherk hasn't exactly fought guys who give up easy though either..and BJ won't give up you know that.

Sherk has amazing endurance and it is fun to watch a guy go as hard in the 5th round as he did in the 1st. Wrestling is part of this sport and guys need to start dealing with it. Kos, Hughes and a bunch of other guys were like that for a long time. Honestly Sherk can't go away from his wrestling to much because he is so short and has tiny arms.

If BJ get's Sherk into an armbar that would be amazing, BJ won't knock him out but like I said a couple times, BJ needs to choke Sherk out within the first two rounds otherwise Sherk will win after round two...

I don't think Sherk will win TKO, but I hope he does.

Last edited 7/16/07 3:09PM server time by StevieC
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #49   7/16/07 3:08:20PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
like I said, his wrestling was impressive, and I have no problem with it being part of the sport, many of the most exciting fighters have wrestling backgrounds. My problem is that he uses that wrestling ability to gain dominant position and then.... lays on his opponent. If he were to use that ability to get mount and make an attempt to finish his opponent he would be great in my books. I agree he has ridiculous cardio, it's impressive, and I also agree that BJ will most likely have to finish the fight within the first 2-3 rounds to win, but I still maintain that Sherk is a very one-dimensional and boring fighter, regardless of if he is dominant.

Post #50   7/16/07 4:27:52PM   

MartinKillMcGill

MMA Regular

MartinKillMcGill Avatar

Career:285-170
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
sherk cant finish fights its only a matter of time before someone catch's him. going 5 rounds every time is just to dangerous. I pick bj

Post #51   7/17/07 7:52:09AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by MartinKillMcGill

sherk cant finish fights its only a matter of time before someone catch's him. going 5 rounds every time is just to dangerous. I pick bj

franca caught him quite a few times with knees....BJ can catch him all day long but in the end BJ is gonna be on his back eating elbows.......

Post #52   7/17/07 5:08:19PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Chips:
eating elbows or getting layed on? I'm pretty sure I saw sherk throw a grand total of about 5 strikes of any kind in his fight against Franca.

Post #53   7/18/07 6:30:50AM   

Vietnamese_Guy

Standup Guy

Vietnamese_Guy Avatar

Career:198-109
Camp: Shogun Academy
Chips:
just to point out, bj said he wasn't gassed in the pulver fight, he said he felt great. I frankly think he was toying with jens and having a fun and dominant time

Post #54   7/18/07 8:28:21AM   

Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4