Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jose Aldo requests his release from the UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:2,344-1,406
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor is fighting lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205, and Jose Aldo has had enough.

Aldo, who beat Frankie Edgar for the interim featherweight title at UFC 200 in July, was hoping to finally get his rematch with "The Notorious" after that victory, but instead saw the Irish star get a shot for the 155-pound belt at New York City’s UFC 205 after beating Nate Diaz in a rematch at 170 pounds.

Link

Post #1   9/27/16 7:37:26PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:
What was said,

Speaking to Brazilian website Combate, Aldo revealed that he was offered a fight at UFC 205, but not against McGregor.

"I heard about everything that happened through my coach," Aldo said. "He had spoken with [UFC matchmaker] Sean Shelby Saturday and Sean still had no answer about anything, and asked if I could fight on November 12. My coach said that if it would be Conor, yes, and then Sean asked him if I would fight Max Holloway or Anthony Pettis. ‘Dede’ [Pederneiras] said that for those who I’d rather do a full camp and it could be on December 10. We waited until Dana publicly said that he wanted this fight with McGregor to happen. And then we expected it to happen: I’d get my rematch to unify the featherweight belts, or I’d have my belt back and fight Holloway or Pettis, since Dana [White] said all the time that Conor couldn’t keep both belts. But, to my surprise, I heard last night about the fight between McGregor and Eddie Alvarez, which was also denied by Dana last week. And to make it worse, he would keep the featherweight belt, and possibly having two belts at the same time."

Upset with the promotion, Aldo said he no longer believes in UFC president Dana White, and wants to be released from his contract with the promotion.

"Conor himself said before that he wouldn’t give his belt away by any chance and nobody would take it away from him," Aldo said. "After all this, I see I can’t trust any word from president Dana White, and who’s in charge of the promotion now is Conor McGregor. Since I’m not here to be an employee of McGregor, today I ask to cancel my contract with the UFC. When they offered me a fight with Frankie Edgar, Dana said that the winner would challenge McGregor or win the linear title, that he would lose his belt if he didn’t return to the featherweight division after his rematch with Nate Diaz. After being fooled so many times, I don’t feel motivated to fight in the UFC anymore."

White said on Tuesday that McGregor would have to vacate a belt if he beats Alvarez on Nov. 12, but Aldo doesn’t believe that.

"I don’t believe in Dana saying that Conor would have to vacate one of the belts after UFC 205 because, based on what we’re seeing, this type of decision is not in his hands anymore, Conor makes the calls now," Aldo said. "And the biggest proof that who’s in charge in the UFC now is Conor is that when I wanted to move up to fight Pettis, they said I’d have to vacate my belt and try this fight with no title whatsoever. But with him, they let him move up to the division above without losing his belt, and also let him do any fight he wants. I understand that he sells a lot, but it gets to a limit when it’s no longer a sport, it becomes a circus. I don’t want any type of fight with the UFC. The only thing I want is to go on with my life, and they will go on with theirs."

Post #2   9/27/16 7:38:26PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:
I completely understand his frustration, but I highly doubt the UFC releases him. He's saying this because he's pissed about the situation at hand. They'll probably smooth things over with him, work out some kind of deal and he'll stay.

Post #3   9/27/16 8:13:53PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Chips:

UPDATE: After the UFC 205 press conference in New York, Dana White spoke with Combate TV and said he will call Aldo and offer a solution. After that quick interview, Aldo called the TV channel and doubled down, saying that he wants to retire from the sport.

"Not even fight MMA, too. It has reached a limit now," Aldo told Revista Combate. "I talked to ‘Dede’ a long time ago and he convinced me to continue. I went to the Frankie Edgar fight and won. I fought to win for ‘Dede’. I’m not angry or upset now, nothing. I never fought for money, I had a good career and legacy as featherweight champion.

"If [White] likes me and my family, I just hope he released me. I don’t want a fight. I want to leave as I came in. The UFC and WEC didn’t give me anything. Everything I conquered was my merit and from my team. Nobody gave me anything. I conquered everything. And I gave them a lot more than they gave me back. I just want them to release me from my contract. I’m not a whore to sell myself [for money].

"I don’t even want to fight MMA. I want to follow a career in another sport. That’s what I want

Post #4   9/27/16 8:28:30PM   

TerrorofsesameST

Standup Guy

TerrorofsesameST Avatar

Career:2,488-1,614
Chips:
Wow... UFC needs to be careful w/ their special treatments for McGregor. They're going to end up losing more fighters.

Post #5   9/27/16 8:48:34PM   

Shawn91111

Coming back..

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:4,467-2,398
Chips:
Can't blame him one bit, this is the backlash they are going to receive with McGregor.

Post #6   9/27/16 9:15:07PM   

xdanish020

The Natural

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:6,856-3,838
Chips:
He's 100% right, this is becoming a joke. He hasn't even defended the FW belt one damn time....smh.

Post #7   9/27/16 10:20:10PM   

handyman293

In Full Mount

handyman293 Avatar

Career:1,442-1,092
Chips:
I can't disagree with him. It also sounds like his heart hasn't been in MMA for a while, if that's the case, he should retire. He is an outstanding athlete, and I'm sure he will succeed in whatever sport he decides to pursue. I'm guessing soccer.

Post #8   9/27/16 11:11:52PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
He is right. I hate to see a great fighter hold out because he is frustrated. but the UFC and Dana should be embarrassed of this matchup. You win by the narrowest of decisions to Nate diaz (after losing to him) and You become the number one contender? I'd really like to know what dana's explanation is for this one

Post #9   9/27/16 11:28:15PM   

BruceFukkinLee

MMA Regular

BruceFukkinLee Avatar

Career:887-607
Chips:

Posted by GSPCanada

He is right. I hate to see a great fighter hold out because he is frustrated. but the UFC and Dana should be embarrassed of this matchup. You win by the narrowest of decisions to Nate diaz (after losing to him) and You become the number one contender? I'd really like to know what dana's explanation is for this one

I totally agree with you but we all know MMA is a sport and UFC is a business and when it comes down to the nitty gritty the business is in it for the largest revenue they can get not for who should rightfully get a chance to win a title or get a retribution fight.

Post #10   9/28/16 12:32:51AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,807-1,995
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I agree with all of the above, both professional and promotional.

I believe Aldo should ask for release. If the UFC is more interested in Mystic Mac. Welp. Fuck it. More fighters will be umping ship and thats not necessarily the worst thing that can happen. WAR FIGHTERS THAT AREN'T MYSTIC MAC!!!

Post #11   9/28/16 12:39:07AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,605-3,637
Chips:
Well when connor knocks eddie out.
Aldo will be sole champ. Connor will have to give up the strap. Take 5 weeks to relax aldo. Your title is coming back to you.

Post #12   9/28/16 7:19:26AM   

Pistorius77

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
We should not confuse UFC and MMA, theirs goals are differents...

Post #13   9/28/16 8:01:59AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:2,790-1,414
Chips:
I realize that Aldo is probably using this mostly as a tool to pressure the UFC into more reasonable action. However, he'd be by far the most significant fighter to abandon ship. The UFC has lost numerous guys that could one day be champions (Benson, Rory, etc.), but it's another thing entirely to lose an ACTUAL champion.

Post #14   9/28/16 9:58:16AM   

jae_1833

Bullfrog Actual

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,877-4,589
Chips:
Unless he really wants to retire because he is tired of the sport or whatever then I think Jose needs to take a chill pill. Yeah, it is wrong wh as t they are doing with Conor, but it doesn't affect Jose really at all. Jose usually only fights once a year and has put the division on hold himself before for long periods of time...I think he doesn't like someone else calling the shots. Either way it's whatever, if he does retire then it will probably be only for a short while and then he'll be signed somewhere that will cater to him. I wish Conor would go back to FW and fight Aldo, but he won't...he's done with FW that much is appearant.

Post #15   9/28/16 10:21:49AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2