Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Coach Wink says Browne went to a ‘boxing coach and ‘put all his eggs in one basket’

Print  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

A Face In The Crowd

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,317-807
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Coach Mike Winkeljohn offered his thoughts on former student Travis Browne and his lack of improvement under “boxing coach” Edmond Tarverdyan.

"I think he went to a boxing coach and tried to learn just that style and he's put all of his eggs in that one basket," Coach Winkeljohn told Submission Radio. "The problem with that is, MMA is big and sometimes you have to pull all the tools out of your tool box. If the few tools that you decide to bring to the party don't work, you're kind of screwed. But if you have access to more tools and more variety, you can do more things and then the unpredictableness comes along and makes even those first tools more effective."

Coach Winkeljohn also added that he isn't necessarily interested in working with Browne again, and is instead more concerned with the students already under his wing.

"I will never say never, but at the moment I don't want him. It's just one of those things. I don't dislike him, but he left and I have my other guys now that I'm focused on. And, you know, he left and he said some things about how he's learning these skills he didn't have before."

Link

Ad: Mixup - New by FanDuel. A casual daily fantasy sports game

Post #1   9/26/16 8:44:12PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 690-8

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:3,542-2,357
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Browne must have made the stupidest gym change in MMA history..'

Post #2   9/26/16 11:02:03PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,777-2,658
Chips:

Posted by shaneTpain

Browne must have made the stupidest gym change in MMA history..'

All for the p*ssy...

Post #3   9/26/16 11:36:37PM   

TerrorofsesameST

Standup Guy

TerrorofsesameST Avatar

Career:1,682-1,099
Chips:
Obviously we'll all point the finger at Ronda for him leaving but I think the main reason for Browne's departure was Overeem joining the team I do remember him voicing his opinion about him joining the team and didn't seem too happy about it. Really is a shame because Browne will be a Bellator HW or WSOF by mid or end of 2017 if he stays w/ that idiot Edmond. He's already been apart of Alliance (good gym) that's an option or join AKA. Only top HW there is Cain and after their fight at 200 it looks like they won't be matching up anytime soon. I think AKA would be Browne's best option.

Post #4   9/27/16 3:03:15AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,068-1,431
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by TerrorofsesameST

Obviously we'll all point the finger at Ronda for him leaving but I think the main reason for Browne's departure was Overeem joining the team I do remember him voicing his opinion about him joining the team and didn't seem too happy about it.

If he was really unhappy about someone joining the team, then he did the right thing. Leave. But it's not HIS team, it's jacks and winkles.

Really is a shame because Browne will be a Bellator HW or WSOF by mid or end of 2017 if he stays w/ that idiot Edmond. He's already been apart of Alliance (good gym) that's an option or join AKA. Only top HW there is Cain and after their fight at 200 it looks like they won't be matching up anytime soon. I think AKA would be Browne's best option.

Agree with this assessment. He has so much talent. And wink and Jackson we're bringing that out in him. I used to be a fan of the guy and thought he'd be a legit title contender one day. Now I think like what is stated above. Unless he gets his act together, then he will be waving buh-bye to that UFC contract.

Post #5   9/27/16 11:19:26AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:3,724-2,276
Chips:
is Edmond Tarverdyan really a boxing coach, cus he advice during rounds are fucken horrible..and for a boxing coach, i dont see any improvement from Browne..at least when Aldo and GSP trained with Roach, they both starting throwing a smoother and more crisp of a jab and combos..

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #6   9/27/16 12:45:51PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,784-3,173
Chips:
Absolutely! I wonder how fighters decide which place to train...at first I get it, you train where you're from...but at this level, come on man!

Post #7   9/27/16 11:05:15PM