Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Coach Wink on Jones vs. Stipe: ‘Nobody beats Jon Jones but himself’

Print  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

A Face In The Crowd

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,317-807
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Coach Mike Winkeljohn gave his thoughts on a potential heavyweight match-up between Jon Jones and Stipe Miocic.

"Well (Stipe would be) the scariest fight to date because it's the one-punch power and then it's a strength of someone that can be on top of you," Winkeljohn told Submission Radio. "And Stipe is very, very strong and because of that one-punch power it's scary. It makes people second-guess what they're doing. So for that reason it's kind of the scariest fight in that way, but it's kind of like fighting (Anthony) Johnson or anyone else like that -?? if you can avoid the big punches, then Jon Jones can dominate."

While Jones' unprecedented title reign took a tempestuous turn several years ago, Winkeljohn remains confident that Jones' only true battle is against himself.

"I'm a big believer in what Jon Jones can do. I told everybody a long time ago, nobody beats Jon Jones but himself, that's what I said. Nobody studies as hard as Jon Jones, looking at tape. He knows what his fighter's going to do before he does it and Jon can beat anybody out there. I think he's going to just continue to dominate the Light Heavyweight division if he wants. If he wants to step up for Stipe, we just can't get hit by those big punches. Other than that, I think Jon could dominate that fight."

Link

Last edited 9/26/16 8:41PM server time by five-alive
Edit note/reason: n/a

Advertisement: Check out Fanduel

Post #1   9/26/16 8:41:25PM   

shaneTpain

Av Bet Record: 690-8

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:3,542-2,357
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Captain obvious over here

Post #2   9/26/16 11:00:15PM   

BruceFukkinLee

MMA Regular

BruceFukkinLee Avatar

Career:618-407
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
If that fight ever happens it won't be Jon Jones beating Jon Jones, it will be Stipe dominating Jones period... end of discussion.

Post #3   9/27/16 12:14:35AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:2,790-1,414
Chips:

Posted by BruceFukkinLee

If that fight ever happens it won't be Jon Jones beating Jon Jones, it will be Stipe dominating Jones period... end of discussion.

I am going to have to disagree. Jones and Miocic are basically the same weight pre-cut. Stipe has more mass, but Jon has better reach. If they were to fight Jones could come in heavier and fresher thanks to not cutting at all. Miocic isn't even one of the harder hitting guys at HW (although he is one of the most accurate). Jones has already faced plenty of guys that are known for their KO power, and he's dealt with them all. Miocic would certainly be one of his better challenges, but I don't see any reason to think that Jones shouldn't be heavily favored as usual.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #4   9/27/16 9:32:50AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,538-2,059
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

Posted by BruceFukkinLee

I am going to have to disagree. Jones and Miocic are basically the same weight pre-cut. Stipe has more mass, but Jon has better reach. If they were to fight Jones could come in heavier and fresher thanks to not cutting at all. Miocic isn't even one of the harder hitting guys at HW (although he is one of the most accurate). Jones has already faced plenty of guys that are known for their KO power, and he's dealt with them all. Miocic would certainly be one of his better challenges, but I don't see any reason to think that Jones shouldn't be heavily favored as usual.

Jones had one fight where he didn't have a significant reach advantage, against Gus, and got beat up pretty bad. I think what makes Jones such a dominant fighter is his ability to find his reach early with eye pokes and knee stomps. I think he would struggle doing it to guys his own size. With that said very few top HW can wrestle well. I think JJ TDs could make him very tough to deal with.

Post #5   9/27/16 10:49:46AM