Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Russian MMA Union now regulating street fights

Print  
Posted By Message

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:5,830-3,128
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
On August 21, a beach volleyball stadium in Omsk, Russia was transformed into a gladiator pit for aspiring MMA fighters. A makeshift ring was erected from the sand. The ropes were made of braided rope and the canvas was nothing more than matted grass and patted sand. Small crowds huddled around the makeshift square chanting ‘Russiya' while their countrymen flailed gloved fists at each other.

Incredibly, the fights which appeared to be nothing more than a replica of a scene from ‘Snatch,' were regulated by the Russian MMA Union. A single judge watched the proceedings from alongside the pseudo-ring. The referee placed in the ring with the two fighters was also an official from the Union.

Link

Post #1   8/24/16 5:57:07PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:4,210-3,089
Chips:
This article fails to see many points. First.....if it is "regulated" it shouldn't be considered a "street fight" anymore. Second, the article speaks of the dangerous aspects. How so? When it comes to combat sports isn't regulated much safer than unregulated? Not always....but generally. And last...isn't this a good thing? A good start? At least these fighters have some sort of regulatory body now. I don't understand....you take street fighters off of the street who have had no real oversight or rules and now they do to some degree.....and people criticize and complain? I think people just love to criticize Russia. Of course they don't actually know anything about Russia other than what they hear from the tainted biased American "news". FACEPALM.

Post #2   8/25/16 11:58:12AM   

jbmoviefan

In Full Mount

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:3,134-1,952
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
they should do this at the renaissance festivals from now on

Post #3   8/25/16 1:13:42PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:5,416-3,592
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

This article fails to see many points. First.....if it is "regulated" it shouldn't be considered a "street fight" anymore. Second, the article speaks of the dangerous aspects. How so? When it comes to combat sports isn't regulated much safer than unregulated? Not always....but generally. And last...isn't this a good thing? A good start? At least these fighters have some sort of regulatory body now. I don't understand....you take street fighters off of the street who have had no real oversight or rules and now they do to some degree.....and people criticize and complain? I think people just love to criticize Russia. Of course they don't actually know anything about Russia other than what they hear from the tainted biased American "news". FACEPALM.

It doesn't seem anymore dangerous than the local smokers we used to have on the coast. I criticize Russia though because of the 60+ years of Tyranny they've inflicted on Georgia, the Ukraine and every other neighboring country they could invade and subjugate. Stalin was a mad man, Lenin wasn't much better and the country is practically run by the mob at this point. Not to say the US isn't corrupt as well, but we don't kill our reporters because they dissent (most of the time). Read Gulag Archipelago or Laughter and the 20,000,000 and try to tell yourself that Russia isn't a fucked up place. Russian people are just people, no better or worse than anyone else but the government has a horrible record of human rights atrocities.

Post #4   8/25/16 3:29:59PM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:357-238
Chips:
Yeah i dont think you can "regulate" a street fight. Its just bare knucklw fighting with a referee most likely.

Street fights are random. Thats why they are called street fights because they random happen on the streets. Your not gonna tell me their gonna have a ref sitting at the corner of every block thats going to come running everytime a russian yells "WORRRLDD STARRRR"

Post #5   8/25/16 9:59:19PM