Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 73 Backlash?

Print  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Maybe just having so much big names on the card, and just hyping the card up had some backlash of some sort.

Frank Edgar watch out for this kid in the 155 pound division. That was a good fight.

Chris Lytle looked liked a stud with the submission of the night, but its just me I would have rather seen Lytle hook it up with Drew Ficket to have a war.

Jorge Gurgel ring rust? is so 2 wins so far, heal up and get your ass back in there before any injuries

Stephan Bonnar good to get back on track, but againest Mike Nickels? no no, he needs to go back to tattoo's.

Heath Herring wtf is wrong with you, Had Big Nog rocked and it was over and you let him up, and didnt pounce on him next round. Man..... good for big nog to get that ufc debut out of the way.

Sherk took some wicked ass knees. It sucks though for franca, but he only had about 1 chance to strike before he hit the ground. I just think the fans wanted more striking even it was on the ground.

For two men that talk alot of shit they sure didnt bring anything. Rashad needed to be more aggresive with his hands, but I think he was afraid of being taken down. He just need to throw his hands. Tito was done for in the 3rd, he was walking around.

Kenny Florian always amazes me maybe 1 more fight before a shot at the title again, because of lw is getting stacked, sherk vs bj and then you got stevenson coming up with huerta.

Ok main event. Well it seems to be like everyone was bullshitting me when they say nate marquardt was going to be the best guy againest silva. This match up would have been better because nate had 4 wins, but 3 were by decision and 1 submission.
It should have been Martin Kampmann vs Silva. I mean martin has ko power and has 2 submission victories.

Post #1   7/9/07 9:57:59AM   

kmansoori6

Learning to Sprawl

kmansoori6 Avatar

Career:32-14
Camp: Indy Top Team
Chips:
I agree with you 100%. Kampmann vs silva would have been a freaking war. former dutch muay thai champ v.s. former chute boxe badass, it would have been a striking clinic.

Post #2   7/9/07 12:21:47PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Maybe just having so much big names on the card, and just hyping the card up had some backlash of some sort.

Frank Edgar watch out for this kid in the 155 pound division. That was a good fight.

Chris Lytle looked liked a stud with the submission of the night, but its just me I would have rather seen Lytle hook it up with Drew Ficket to have a war.

Jorge Gurgel ring rust? is so 2 wins so far, heal up and get your ass back in there before any injuries

Stephan Bonnar good to get back on track, but againest Mike Nickels? no no, he needs to go back to tattoo's.

Heath Herring wtf is wrong with you, Had Big Nog rocked and it was over and you let him up, and didnt pounce on him next round. Man..... good for big nog to get that ufc debut out of the way.

Sherk took some wicked ass knees. It sucks though for franca, but he only had about 1 chance to strike before he hit the ground. I just think the fans wanted more striking even it was on the ground.

For two men that talk alot of shit they sure didnt bring anything. Rashad needed to be more aggresive with his hands, but I think he was afraid of being taken down. He just need to throw his hands. Tito was done for in the 3rd, he was walking around.

Kenny Florian always amazes me maybe 1 more fight before a shot at the title again, because of lw is getting stacked, sherk vs bj and then you got stevenson coming up with huerta.

Ok main event. Well it seems to be like everyone was bullshitting me when they say nate marquardt was going to be the best guy againest silva. This match up would have been better because nate had 4 wins, but 3 were by decision and 1 submission.
It should have been Martin Kampmann vs Silva. I mean martin has ko power and has 2 submission victories.

I definitely rather wanted to see Lytle vs. Fickett; that fight would have been FOTN.

Heath was scared of Big Nog's ground game hence he wanted him to stand-up so he could try to knock him out. A semi-unconscious Big Nog is still dangerous on the ground.

I loved the Sherk vs. Franca fight. Sherk looked like a beast and was relentless with his TDs. I called it all along, Franca only had a puncher's chance to win and he almost got it with that knee. Was anyone else extremely impressed with Sherk's passing?

Post #3   7/9/07 12:35:19PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by MMA

H A semi-unconscious Big Nog is still dangerous on the ground.

Especially when the other guy is Heath Herring.he was bound to make a mistake Nog could capitalize on

Post #4   7/9/07 12:38:33PM   

Eazee_E

Learning to Sprawl

Eazee_E Avatar

Career:53-24
Camp: Rear Naked Choke
Chips:
My background in wrestling goes a lot farther than my following of MMA, but I think it is true for both sports.....

When you have two studs going at it is usually isn't pretty. Guys may fight "not to lose" instead of trying to win. You get close matches/fights without a whole lot of offense going on, and you really need to appreciate defense and the small intricacies (sp?) of each sport to enjoy them. That kills me hearing the crowd boo Sherk/Franca. If you want something "exciting" you can have Mirko fight Eddie Sanchez and have a one-sided bloodbath.

Post #5   7/9/07 12:41:26PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I dont get it... Nate has 4 wins? His record is 25-7-2...
Also, He's basically hands down the top contender (or was anyways), and Im not sure where you got your info... hmmmm.

Kampman needs to fight somebody top tier to deserve a shot. And he would get killed if he did fight Silva.

Post #6   7/9/07 12:58:16PM   

IrishA-hole

Learning to Sprawl

IrishA-hole Avatar

Career:205-130
Camp: S.M.O.
Chips:
lytle/fickett woulda been dopesauce

Last edited 7/9/07 2:54PM server time by IrishAsshole
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   7/9/07 2:54:31PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
marquardt 4-0 in the ufc. thats where i got my info.

Post #8   7/9/07 3:05:50PM   

MMAStation

Learning to Sprawl

MMAStation Avatar

Career:672-381
Camp: BE Civil War
Chips:
from what i read jorge gurgel suffered a broken jaw and was taken to the hospital after the fight. looks like hes back on the IR.

Post #9   7/9/07 4:10:54PM