Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Would you support making the last round untimed for the UFC to avoid draws or contreversial decisions?

Print  
Do you want an extra untimed round in close fights?
Yes 19 20%
No 57 61%
Would rather make non- title fights 5 rounds 18 19%
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,932-1,089
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I was thinking about this because not only was there a draw last night, but there have been so many close fights in the last couple of years. A lot of these could have gone either way IMO. Griifin/Bonnar 1, Lil Nog/Shogun/ , Melendez/Kawajiri, Griffin/ Guida,Hendo/Bustamante 2 Sanchez/ Karo, Big Nog/Barnett 1&2 ,Leben/Cote, Tito/Belfort, just to name a few. On TUF they have a sudden victory round, of course there are only 2 rounds to begin with . So I was thinking make the last round go till there's finish or have all non-tile fights be more rounds. I know it would definitely favor those with good cardio, but shouldn't all fighter's do their best to be in shape anyway? The refs would really have to make sure to keep the action going, and maybe even penalize someone for stalling, like it was threatened in the Werdum/Arlovski fight. Since we don't know if Pride will be back, I will make this a UFC only discussion, but if Pride returned I would want it for both organizations. I think if the rules were changed to add knees on the ground, make the last round untimed, and the refs made the fighter's stay active more fight's would have a definitive ending. Whatcha Ya'll think?

Last edited 7/8/07 9:07PM server time by hippysmacker
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   7/8/07 9:03:59PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
I would love to see that happen, but with MMA falling under the Atheletic Associations, it isn't going to happen. There has to be time limits. Just like in the U.S. a fighter can't fight twice in one night. Maybe they should go with a "OT" round if there is a draw.

I'm wondering if the UFC would be allowed to use yellow cards to deduct coin from a fighter if he is stalling. Draws have to be very fustrating to the fighters, but then again, don't leave it up to the judges. I know that's easier said then done

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #2   7/8/07 9:14:48PM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
I agree with that, but zep already mentioned one problem in the regulations and another would be the PPV time slot UFC buys. They buy enough time for if all their matches went the distance and use filler or undercard bouts when they don't, so if a close match started near the end of their allowed time and this rule was in place you wouldn't see the end of it.

Post #3   7/8/07 9:34:23PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Extra round? Yes. Untimed? No. If we had another 15 minute jockeying match it could do more harm than good as it pertains to the PPV timeslot and what matches are shown.

Post #4   7/8/07 9:39:35PM   

Tons33

MMA Regular

Tons33 Avatar

Career:30-13
Camp: East Coast Top Team
Chips:
I would be in favor of a extra 5 minute round.

Post #5   7/8/07 9:41:18PM   

x_soa_x

MMA Regular

Career:61-38
Chips:
I wouldn't support the last round being untimed. I would, however, support an extra, three-minute (four-minute if it's a title fight =P) round to avoid draws and contreversial decisions.

Post #6   7/8/07 10:25:36PM   

argile

MMA Regular

argile Avatar

Career:103-59
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
Thats a good idea, but PPV's are already too long imo(i hate they replay the same 30 minute promos and advertisements between every fight). OR we can have each of them tie a hand of their choice behind there back and duke it out like the real gladiators OR the bloodsports techiqnue when you trade kicks to the side for a verbal submission from pain!

Last edited 7/8/07 10:33PM server time by argile
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   7/8/07 10:29:35PM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:
I would like that a bunch... I hate watching a whole fight and no winner... but i guess it would eventually get boring of 2 exhausted fighters throwing no power into their punches, the guy with the submissions would prob always win.

Post #8   7/8/07 10:48:29PM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
Not at all... I don't see what all the fuss is concerning draws and splitters... in fact, I wish the UFC referees where much more sticked on dishing out fouls.

Post #9   7/8/07 10:51:40PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I would like to see draws and splits go to an extra round. 5:00 round though.

Post #10   7/8/07 11:20:18PM   

jocksmall

In Full Mount

Career:213-134
Chips:
untimed would be fine with me i hate decisions. i loved old ufc fights where you always had a winner.

Post #11   7/8/07 11:26:28PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Draws are fine by me in very close fights.

Post #12   7/8/07 11:36:55PM   

krucz36

Learning to Sprawl

krucz36 Avatar

Career:161-106
Camp: Fightlinker
Chips:
Draws don't bother me in the least. my brother had a good point about rashad/ortiz...neither really should have won. ortiz was GASSED! i never thought i'd see that.

Post #13   7/9/07 12:03:28AM   

akhillez

MMA Regular

akhillez Avatar

Career:700-405
Chips:
If there is a draw like in the Ortiz-Evans fight, then there should be a fourth round that is five minutes long. That round is the tiebreaker and decides the outcome of the fight. This prevents having an unnecessary rematch in the future when there are much better fights to be had. Honestly, who wants to see Rashad and and Tito go at it for another 15 minutes if there are going remain passive? I'd rather have seen a fourth round and have a clear winner so that the division can move on.

Post #14   7/9/07 1:04:10AM   

dcox86

Learning to Sprawl

dcox86 Avatar

Career:190-104
Camp: Team Tapout
Chips:
i think they should just make them go another round. draws are stupid

Post #15   7/9/07 1:46:08AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3