Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

complaint about results for UFC 73

Print  
Posted By Message

hood

Learning to Sprawl

hood Avatar

Career:20-17
Camp: Team Maxim
Chips:
I had KenFlo to win by TKO in the 1st. I should have won 11 points, but MMA Playground only awarded me 7 because it has the victory listed as a submission. Although Robinson did make an attempt to tapout, Bruce Buffer declared KenFlo the winner by TKO.

Am I wrong?

Post #1   7/8/07 3:50:19AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by hood

I had KenFlo to win by TKO in the 1st. I should have won 11 points, but MMA Playground only awarded me 7 because it has the victory listed as a submission. Although Robinson did make an attempt to tapout, Bruce Buffer declared KenFlo the winner by TKO.

Am I wrong?

He tapped. Buffer is only an announcer, nothing he says is binding, the referee makes that call. Plus, its officially listed as a sub. Sorry. Same thing happened to me, but the official call is the bottom line.

Post #2   7/8/07 3:53:45AM   

CWall33

MMA Regular

CWall33 Avatar

Career:413-243
Chips:
Where is the "official" listing? Just watched the replay, and the "offical" call was TKO.

If Buffer miss-read his cue-cards as "Submission by strikes" for "TKO", then he's needs some glasses.

That was clearly a TKO, even though the dude tapped 1.5 times. Yves was stopping it at that point regardless of the half-hearted tap attempt.

(Request for a UFC rule clarification: What constitutes an official tap? I always heard it was 4 clear taps. )

Post #3   7/8/07 4:20:37AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by CWall33

Where is the "official" listing? Just watched the replay, and the "offical" call was TKO.

If Buffer miss-read his cue-cards as "Submission by strikes" for "TKO", then he's needs some glasses.

That was clearly a TKO, even though the dude tapped 1.5 times. Yves was stopping it at that point regardless of the half-hearted tap attempt.

(Request for a UFC rule clarification: What constitutes an official tap? I always heard it was 4 clear taps. )

I believe it is 4 taps...but it doesn't really matter. Most often, the ref stops matches after 2-3 taps, when he can tell the tap is intentional. The only times you actually see a fighter tap 4+ times is when the ref isn't close enough to stop it sooner. They always say safety is paramount...and it is usually obvious when it is an actual tap. On occasion, someone will contest the tap, but I've yet to see a ruling overturned, regardless of the number of taps.

Sometimes a fighter begins to tap, just as the ref is stepping in. I just watched the replay...and I'm very certain that the ref was reacting to the taps. The fight wouldn't have lasted much longer regardless, but I definitely say Submission due to Strikes.

Post #4   7/8/07 7:29:08AM   

InkedUp

MMA Regular

InkedUp Avatar

Career:169-125
Chips:
The dude was getting his face pushed through the back of his skull and he tapped. Doesnt matter to me if its from a armbor, choke, or whatever, when that man starts tapping, its a submission, not a TKO. TKO would be if the ref stopped it without him tapping.

Post #5   7/8/07 10:03:15AM   

Brick

MMA Regular

Brick Avatar

Career:1,294-641
Camp: Dead Skin Mask
Chips:
Doesn't really matter what we think, whether it seemed like a submission or not. Buffer announced a TKO, it seems he would get that information from the ref or judges. This site's results should reflect the official call, not speculation on what should have happened.

Post #6   7/8/07 10:27:34AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Brick

Doesn't really matter what we think, whether it seemed like a submission or not. Buffer announced a TKO, it seems he would get that information from the ref or judges. This site's results should reflect the official call, not speculation on what should have happened.

The official result is submission:

Link

Post #7   7/8/07 11:08:16AM   

Brick

MMA Regular

Brick Avatar

Career:1,294-641
Camp: Dead Skin Mask
Chips:
Sherdog hardly counts as "official," just basically a bunch of journalists. I'd like to see something from the UFC regarding the reversal...but the article on their website was vague (just says Florian "ended by strikes"). Oh, well, only 2 points.

Post #8   7/8/07 11:40:46AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Brick

The official result is submission:

Link

Thank you.

See? I already explained, it doesnt matter what buffer says, he's not the official here. He could say over the mike that the other guy won, but it wouldnt change the official result...

It was officially listed as a sub right after the show, just like I pointed out. You guys shouldnt start quoting rules when you have no clue what you are talking about.

Post #9   7/8/07 12:50:13PM   

Destroyer88

Learning to Sprawl

Destroyer88 Avatar

Career:66-28
Chips:
apparently UFC has it listed to Florian by TKO so what do we listen to? UFCs official site or sherdog? it clearly looked like a tap out to me so i dont see where they can call it a TKO.

Post #10   7/8/07 12:54:00PM   

CWall33

MMA Regular

CWall33 Avatar

Career:413-243
Chips:
Sherdog is now "official"? That's a good one.

Go to www.ufc.tv, click on the link that says OFFICIAL RESULTS, and you will see this "Kenny Florian Wins by Technical Knock Out at 4:30 in the 1st round ."

Doesn't get much more official than that.

Post #11   7/8/07 12:56:34PM   

Tamara

Learning to Sprawl

Tamara Avatar

Career:190-182
Chips:
Sherdog seems to be reporting out of both sides of their ***

From the main page on Sherdog :

July 8, 2007
Kenny Florian Post-UFC 73 Video
Greg Savage caught up with Kenny Florian (Pictures) shortly after the lightweight's first round TKO of Alvin Robinson (Pictures) at UFC 73 ... Read More

Sherdog has the fight listed for Kenflo as sub, but reports it was a TKO. ??

MMAPlayground needs to update the points according to the Official Call on the Offical UFC Website, period.

Post #12   7/8/07 1:47:45PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Chips:
Glad you all are taking this so personally... Way to take a FREE game, and turn it into a lame argument about less than 5 points... Jeez, people. You may want to pick your battles a little, this is sad.

Post #13   7/8/07 1:50:59PM   

Tamara

Learning to Sprawl

Tamara Avatar

Career:190-182
Chips:

Posted by Destroyer88

apparently UFC has it listed to Florian by TKO so what do we listen to? UFCs official site or sherdog? it clearly looked like a tap out to me so i dont see where they can call it a TKO.

I asked the mods about this and apparently they scored the fight according to how the California State Athletic commision lists it.

Does anyone know how to look those results up? If you do can you post it. Just curious to see how it all works and learn more about MMAPlayground.

Last edited 7/8/07 2:31PM server time by Tamara
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   7/8/07 2:21:15PM