Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Silva, Sherk Successfully Defend Titles at UFC 73; Ortiz foul costs him win

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Canadian_MM_EH

Banned

Career:82-58
Chips:
SACRAMENTO, July 7 – It was supposed to be one of Anderson Silva’s
toughest tests,but instead, his win over respected challenger Nate Marquardt at the Arco Arena tonight proved to be one of his greatest victories, as he defended his UFC middleweight crown for the first time with a decisive first round TKO in the UFC 73 main event.Read the Rest @->LINK

Last edited 7/8/07 1:50AM server time by canadian_MM_EH
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   7/8/07 1:39:06AM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
i felt that mccarthy shouldn't have stood marquardt and silva up. marquardt was on top of silva in good position and was keeping busy on silva so i don't think that mccarthy should've stood them up. i've seen mccarthy do this before and i dont like it. he stands people up way too fast. if he would've let the fight continue on the ground i think we might be talking about how great a victory it was for marquardt. not to take anything away from silva, who looked great after taking advantage of mccarthy's call to stand them up, but marquardt was in a position that he wanted to be in and mccarthy stood him up. anyone agree with me??

Post #2   7/8/07 2:26:09AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
No, I felt it was a good stand up. He wasn't causing any damage, I didn't think he was keeping very busy and improving his position. Even if they stayed on the ground anderson would just be celebrating a submission victory. He's just the better fighter.

Post #3   7/8/07 3:10:42AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I agree with cmill, it was a good stand up. Nate wasn't being offensive at all, he was pulling a Tito.

Post #4   7/8/07 3:26:10AM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,113-723
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:

Posted by warglory

I agree with cmill, it was a good stand up. Nate wasn't being offensive at all, he was pulling a Tito.

Aside from the last 3 minutes, Tito pushed the pace in the whole fight, so nate was pulling a rashad

Post #5   7/8/07 5:40:56AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,058-836
Chips:
you do realize mR Silva has extremely good BJJ skils aye? He is what i dunno an uber bbelt?

It didnt matter Nate wasnt gonna win regardless, on the ground, stand up, with both of anderson's feet tied together and arms tied behind his back. whatever he isnt as goooood!

Post #6   7/8/07 6:20:34AM   

silverbullet

Shrimpin' ain't easy

Career:144-82
Chips:
McCarthy made a good call standing them up, and Silva would have won either way, it was a domination

Post #7   7/8/07 9:27:47AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
The card was "Stacked" but to say the least was not as entertaining as it could of been.

I picked Nate to win because of his ground game but Silva showed me he is miles ahead of NM...

I'm sorry though, Tito and Evans was very uneventful in my mind. Neither fighter did what they do, they didn't fight their game, and Tito's "great conditioning" seemed to be non-existant come the 3rd round...

What about Big Nog almost being knocked out?? Gosh would Dana White of pissed his pants or what? First Cro Cop then Nog...that would of been funny.

With the exception of Sherk's domination the card didn't live up to expectations in my mind.

Well it was my first time picking fights and I tried to pick upsets but it looks like I might do the safer picks come August....

Last edited 7/8/07 11:35AM server time by StevieC
2 total post edits

Post #8   7/8/07 11:34:14AM   

Brodskys

Learning to Sprawl

Brodskys Avatar

Career:279-138
Chips:
I agree with xphycorx. But, I disagree with all stand-ups in MMA. The ground game is part of the fight. If a guy is in your guard and is not doing anything, you should be able to fight out of it. The fighters should be able to work though it. Yes, it makes for a boring fight to the 85% of fans who have no idea what’s going on anyway, but for the hard core fan it’s obvious that it’s just another aspect of the fight and the fighters’ strategy. How many fights have we seen where both fighters just dance around on the feet, never committing, and just try not to make a mistake? Many guys who are considered stand-up fighters will often times, stall on the feet and not look to finish fights. You don’t see the ref putting them on the ground do to a lack of action! So why when the ref believes the action is slow, or the ref thinks one guy is not working hard enough to improve his position, he stands them back up. McCarthy is notorious for doing this. Bottom line is that if Marquardt would have laid-and-prayed the entire fight, he would have lost anyway. It should be up to the fighters though, and not the ref. I believe the ref is there to make sure the rules are not violated; but he should not dictate where the fight takes place based on his personal observation.

Last edited 7/8/07 12:00PM server time by Brodskys
2 total post edits

Post #9   7/8/07 11:45:58AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
a standup is called for two reasons, if neither fighter is advancing his position, or no damage is being caused. To the hardcore fan.. its still boring to watch two fighters on the guard, failing to cause damage or improve their position. Scrambling back to your feed creates opening for your opponent, and if they're doing nothing on top keeping a defensive closed guard is a better idea.

There are far more instances of two fighters on the ground doing nothing (tito/rashad), then people on their feet doing nothing (sanchez/koscheck), when they dont committ and dance around for too long, they dont get put to the ground, the ref usually threatens to take a point away (arlovski/werdum).

you wanna see a fight, watch ufc.. you wanna see two half naked guys squirm around on the ground for 15 minutes.. thats another channel.

Post #10   7/8/07 12:08:18PM   

JWall023

MMA Regular

JWall023 Avatar

Career:105-54
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
omgosh when i saw big nog fall i about pissed my pants, i blinked and missed the kick so i was like sitting there dumbfounded. but holy crap if he would of lost that fight i would of soiled myself

Post #11   7/8/07 12:12:55PM   

blowe1983

MMA Regular

blowe1983 Avatar

Career:37-15
Chips:
yea nogs so lucky that the fight didnt get called. he was definately out i cant believe he came out of it. they've called so many bigger fights faster than i can blink. ex. liddell and jackson. that was the best fight other than that the stacked card was pure crap.

Post #12   7/8/07 1:11:13PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

a standup is called for two reasons, if neither fighter is advancing his position, or no damage is being caused. To the hardcore fan.. its still boring to watch two fighters on the guard, failing to cause damage or improve their position. Scrambling back to your feed creates opening for your opponent, and if they're doing nothing on top keeping a defensive closed guard is a better idea.

There are far more instances of two fighters on the ground doing nothing (tito/rashad), then people on their feet doing nothing (sanchez/koscheck), when they dont committ and dance around for too long, they dont get put to the ground, the ref usually threatens to take a point away (arlovski/werdum).

you wanna see a fight, watch ufc.. you wanna see two half naked guys squirm around on the ground for 15 minutes.. thats another channel.

Something you have to keep in mind is that part of the reason for stalemates on the ground is the person on bottom knows that if they hang in there long enough defensively, they will be stood up...in fact, several fighters have built their ground game for defense only, as a result of standups. The ground game is a part of MMA and should not be altered. MMA is suppose to mimic a real fight, with obvious rules set in place for safety reasons. Standups are one of those rare rules that the UFC (as well as other orgs) put in place for entertainment reasons, rather than safety. The ref should be in there to ensure safety, not excitement. If they want more excitement, then they should implement a financial penalization system as a motivator. Standups can change the outcome of fights...I don't think that is a good tradeoff for excitement. And, by excitement, I mean what the current day crowds with A.D.D. seem to demand. To the casual fan, KO's are more exciting than submissions, so organizations seem to cater to this.

Post #13   7/8/07 1:31:12PM   

Brodskys

Learning to Sprawl

Brodskys Avatar

Career:279-138
Chips:
To wapttn...

1. You are clearly a master of the obvious. Yeah, I know why fighters are stood up, and I understand why fighters position differently while in the guard (or “on the guard” as you put it).

2. I was merely stating my opinion that the fighters rather than the ref, should be permitted to let the fight go wherever it goes, however it goes. Yes, it may be boring for some, or even most. But if you are looking for excitement, perhaps you should go to that channel with which you seem to be so familiar.

Last edited 7/8/07 1:40PM server time by Brodskys

Post #14   7/8/07 1:38:13PM   

Canadian-Pain

MMA Regular

Canadian-Pain Avatar

Career:282-198
Camp: Canadian Pain
Chips:
For how good the card should have been it wasn't insanely entertaining

1) Nog should have lost, that Texan was a moron, wtf are you doing standing up
2) Sherk was a machine
3) Tito sucked...again. Evans looked afraid to get hit, but Tito should have taken it to him more then he did
4) Florian was impressive, he looks like he lost alot of weight

was a 6 outta 10 night for me not horrible not great.

Post #15   7/8/07 1:43:40PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2