Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC owners reportedly in heavy discussions to sell promotion

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:2,186-1,325
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
One of the biggest stories in the history of mixed martial arts seems to be taking shape.

The Fertitta brothers are in heavy discussions about selling the UFC and four bidders have emerged, according to a report from ESPN business insider Darren Rovell. The winning bid, Rovell reported, is supposed to be somewhere between $3.5 and $4 billion.

Four companies have put in bids for the UFC, including WME/IMG, China Media Capital, The Blackstone Group and Dalian Wanda Group, according to the report.

The Dalian Wanda Group out of China is the front-runner and a sale could be announced as soon as July, sources told MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani. Nothing is finalized, though, and the situation is very fluid.

"As a private company, we don't discuss speculation or rumors related to our business," UFC vice president of public relations Dave Sholler told ESPN.

MMAFIGHTING LINK

MMAJUNKIE LINK

Post #1   5/10/16 9:14:01PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,354-3,497
Chips:
Guess in a year or so ufc will look like wsof or bellator

It was fun while it lasted

Post #2   5/10/16 9:17:22PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:5,416-3,592
Chips:
I don't know man, the UFC is such a juggernaut at this point, it may not matter who is at the helm all that much.

Post #3   5/10/16 9:23:29PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:5,603-2,991
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Hopefully they don't sell out to the US Corporate Allies.

Post #4   5/10/16 10:14:28PM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:2,547-1,677
Chips:
I'm pretty sure the chinese group also is affiliated with Kunlun Fights...

Guy is a friggin billionaire lol ......hey guys guess what????

Looks like the mma world cup IS possible......

Post #5   5/10/16 10:43:14PM   

jae_1833

Bullfrog actual

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,536-4,360
Chips:
That would be super gay...another great U.S. company bought out by competing countries taking the money out of the economy and into the hands of others...great. That world cup had better be worth all the money taken out of our hands. It won't be long before I move to Canada. Both articles also state that UFC officials have debunked the rumor and DW stated that the UFC was not for sale.

Last edited 5/10/16 11:30PM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   5/10/16 11:28:54PM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,759-1,773
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

That would be super gay...another great U.S. company bought out by competing countries taking the money out of the economy and into the hands of others...great. That world cup had better be worth all the money taken out of our hands. It won't be long before I move to Canada. Both articles also state that UFC officials have debunked the rumor and DW stated that the UFC was not for sale.

God I hope that's right. I honestly don't want anything to change with the UFC or the way it's structured right now. Joe Silva and Sean Shelby have been doing an exceptional job making fights, the card quality has been great for most of the ppvs so far this year, and line up wise, the next several ppvs are all stacked as all hell. The last thing I want to see is for some other group, be they foreign or domestic, to just swoop in, buy out zuffa and fuck up the works for us fans of what the UFC has been doing lately with their match making and everything. Maybe it's because of my aversion to change in a lot of things, but I really like the way things are right now. I also don't see how it would make a lot of sense to sell out now when the future seems completely full of green pastures right now and there is a ton of money to be made from guys like McGregor and Diaz now that his star has risen, the possible return of GSP, etc.

Post #7   5/11/16 12:36:15AM   

traveller77

Standup Guy

traveller77 Avatar

Career:1,467-756
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by jae_1833

God I hope that's right. I honestly don't want anything to change with the UFC or the way it's structured right now. Joe Silva and Sean Shelby have been doing an exceptional job making fights, the card quality has been great for most of the ppvs so far this year, and line up wise, the next several ppvs are all stacked as all hell. The last thing I want to see is for some other group, be they foreign or domestic, to just swoop in, buy out zuffa and fuck up the works for us fans of what the UFC has been doing lately with their match making and everything. Maybe it's because of my aversion to change in a lot of things, but I really like the way things are right now. I also don't see how it would make a lot of sense to sell out now when the future seems completely full of green pastures right now and there is a ton of money to be made from guys like McGregor and Diaz now that his star has risen, the possible return of GSP, etc.

I disagree completely, this is great news if its real. Zuffa has brought us complete market saturation with 50 plus events per year, over 600 fighters on the roster, marketing geared towards pro wrestling fans, ridiculous rematches and the screwed over fighters who should've got the slot, slo-mo reaction to PED's, a boss who gets his news off twitter when he's not calling someone names or bragging about all his cash while he screws the fighters financially and puts the screws to their sponsors, then tells them they should be happy. The UFC has grown beyond the skills of current ownership and its holding the entire sport back. This wouldnt hurt the US economy in any way, the country the owner lives in matters not, only where the events are held and where those who profit from it live and spend. The tide is turning with fighters finally saying screw the UFC, so new ownership may actually be responsible for saving what we want the UFC to be; the place where the best fighters are, so we can see the matchups we want.

Post #8   5/11/16 4:56:07AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,354-3,497
Chips:
Doesnt make sense when ufx finally got new york to happen
Then commitng to so many events the next few years then leaving before all this takes place

Post #9   5/11/16 4:56:54AM   

traveller77

Standup Guy

traveller77 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Doesnt make sense when ufx finally got new york to happen
Then commitng to so many events the next few years then leaving before all this takes place

It makes perfect sense, all the booked upcoming events are presented as future revenues and NY shows the buyers the company is about to grow, both of these factors drive up the selling price.

Post #10   5/11/16 5:04:47AM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,759-1,773
Chips:

Posted by traveller77

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by jae_1833

I disagree completely, this is great news if its real. Zuffa has brought us complete market saturation with 50 plus events per year, over 600 fighters on the roster, marketing geared towards pro wrestling fans, ridiculous rematches and the screwed over fighters who should've got the slot, slo-mo reaction to PED's, a boss who gets his news off twitter when he's not calling someone names or bragging about all his cash while he screws the fighters financially and puts the screws to their sponsors, then tells them they should be happy. The UFC has grown beyond the skills of current ownership and its holding the entire sport back. This wouldnt hurt the US economy in any way, the country the owner lives in matters not, only where the events are held and where those who profit from it live and spend. The tide is turning with fighters finally saying screw the UFC, so new ownership may actually be responsible for saving what we want the UFC to be; the place where the best fighters are, so we can see the matchups we want.

I'm sure there are a few changes within the organization that could be improved a little, but by and large, I think Zuffa is on the right track. We complain about them not taking care of their fighters, but what other organization foots 100% of the bill for their fighter's medical bills/procedures? We can complain about the number of events they put on, but I'd argue, and have stated this in one other thread before, that it seems counter intuitive to complain about fighter pay in one breath, and then complain about the number of events held which give the fighters opportunities to make a living at this. I'd say the bottom guys on the roster benefit from current structure in some ways. Yeah, it'd be nice if they got paid more, but comparatively speaking, those guys would make chump change fighting on Bellator's roster. I seem to recall that somewhat recently there was a thread here that showed the payout of the prelim guys on one of their cards and it was like 1500 or something of that nature for a lot of them. That's pathetic. Let's say they break their hand in the fight, likely that would mean their entire paycheck just went to medical bills for x-rays, and if they did have any left over, then that likely would only cover some of their camp expenses like bringing people in to prepare for a specific opponent, etc. They're basically operating in the red.

That same guy in the UFC earns a minimum of, I believe, 10k go show and 2500 from rebok. Sure, the rebok deal kinda blows, but that's still at minimum, about 8x the bottom pay of bellator. Even better that any injury they receive during the bout, be it as small as a broken toe, to acl tears are 100% covered. If they won then they make 22,500, plus a potential 50k bonus if they did it super impressively. Crunching the numbers makes it clear that they don't quite have as raw a deal in the UFC as we all complain about when you consider the alternative. I'm not trying to be a Zuffa nut hugger or anything, I'm just kind of playing devils advocate and looking at things objectively. Yeah, Dana could probably benefit from thinking before he speaks and not reacting to things quite so defensively/emotionally, but by and large the UFC does do a good job all things considered.

Post #11   5/11/16 10:06:21AM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Chips:
Dana White is about to be interviewed on the DP show in 5 minutes.

Dan Patrick Show Livefeed

Dan just interviewed Darren Rovell, the ESPN reporter responsible for this threads story, 15 minutes prior to white coming on.

Last edited 5/11/16 11:23AM server time by gdpofmpg
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   5/11/16 11:15:57AM   

traveller77

Standup Guy

traveller77 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

We complain about them not taking care of their fighters, but what other organization foots 100% of the bill for their fighter's medical bills/procedures?

ISIS. They offer full medical and free bullets.

Post #13   5/11/16 12:39:34PM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:357-238
Chips:
Somebody on this site called it.

I remember reading somebody saying Zuffa kept taking out loans and still owe hundreds of millions of dollars and that they would just sell the company rather then take out another loan and make it the next persons problem.

Im actually down for a change as long as it doesnt turn the ufc into a freakshow like bellator

Post #14   5/11/16 1:27:43PM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Somebody on this site called it.

I remember reading somebody saying Zuffa kept taking out loans and still owe hundreds of millions of dollars and that they would just sell the company rather then take out another loan and make it the next persons problem.

Im actually down for a change as long as it doesnt turn the ufc into a freakshow like bellator

Probably Bustamanti-Aoki in the comments of the John Nash Bloody Elbow story regarding UFC's credit rating, debt incursion and company valuation prospects.

Post #15   5/11/16 1:41:13PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2