Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lavar Johnson Sentenced in Domestic Abuse Case

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:4,925-2,704
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Lavar Johnson was sentenced Friday for a severe beating he admitted to after a blow up with his girlfriend.

Pleas for a lighter sentence in the brutal beating did not convince a Fresno County judge to give the MMA fighter less time in prison.

In his defense, his attorney said Johnson is a stand-up guy who had too much to drink and was mad about his girlfriend tracking him with GPS...

Full Story

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   4/30/16 11:24:15AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,325-802
Chips:
Fuck. Lavar hit fucking hard too.

Dirty Blue

Post #2   4/30/16 12:30:01PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:3,222-1,765
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Thought he had turned his life around. Glad to see the judge didn't go easy on him.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   4/30/16 12:35:56PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:2,068-1,298
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
5 year sentence on a 1 year crime because his fists were considered assault with a deadly weapon? He shouldn't have plead guilty as any real lawyer could have gotten this dropped to domestic battery. I'm not justifying what he did, you beat up your GF you deserve jail time, but 5 years in state prison seems excessive when the person you assaulted walks away with cuts, bruises, and some swelling.

Post #4   4/30/16 1:44:08PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

5 year sentence on a 1 year crime because his fists were considered assault with a deadly weapon? He shouldn't have plead guilty as any real lawyer could have gotten this dropped to domestic battery. I'm not justifying what he did, you beat up your GF you deserve jail time, but 5 years in state prison seems excessive when the person you assaulted walks away with cuts, bruises, and some swelling.

If this was the first time he was charged with beating up a woman I might agree, but he has a history of abusing women.

He's been in jail twice for abusing or threatening women in the past.

Given his history and his use of force to prevent her from reporting the crime I'd say this is one of the few times the justice system got things right.

Post #5   4/30/16 2:05:05PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
Yeah I see on his wiki page he served 14 days in jail 8 years ago for a misdemeanor assault, and then another 30 days for violating a restraining order related to the same event. I don't know how much that impacted his sentence, but I'm guessing it has more to do with the War Machine case and the publicity that comes with handing a sentence like this to a professional fighter. Situation reversed, had he stalked his GF to a club by tracking her with GPS, come in to the club where she was at and made a seen, followed her outside while continuing to verbally abuse her, and then she picked up a piece of wood and hit him with it until he was cut, bruised, and swollen. Do you think she would have gotten 5 years in prison, even if she had a misdemeanor assault 8 years before? Of course not, the only reason he got this punishment is because he's a big man, and a pro MMA fighter. Had he really intended to do harm she would have had a broken nose, broken teeth, broken orbital sockets, a concussion, and internal bleeding. He f'd up big time, but it's hard for me to agree that 5 years is appropriate.

Post #6   4/30/16 2:33:34PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,950-2,724
Chips:
5 years is a long time

Post #7   4/30/16 3:56:44PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Yeah I see on his wiki page he served 14 days in jail 8 years ago for a misdemeanor assault, and then another 30 days for violating a restraining order related to the same event. I don't know how much that impacted his sentence, but I'm guessing it has more to do with the War Machine case and the publicity that comes with handing a sentence like this to a professional fighter. Situation reversed, had he stalked his GF to a club by tracking her with GPS, come in to the club where she was at and made a seen, followed her outside while continuing to verbally abuse her, and then she picked up a piece of wood and hit him with it until he was cut, bruised, and swollen. Do you think she would have gotten 5 years in prison, even if she had a misdemeanor assault 8 years before? Of course not, the only reason he got this punishment is because he's a big man, and a pro MMA fighter. Had he really intended to do harm she would have had a broken nose, broken teeth, broken orbital sockets, a concussion, and internal bleeding. He f'd up big time, but it's hard for me to agree that 5 years is appropriate.

You can't disregard that he's a 6'3 250+ lb professional fighter when it comes to an assault case.

In the situation you described she would be defending herself so it's hardly the reverse of his situation. Unless you have a different source with a more detailed accounting of the events.

From what I read she didn't stalk him to a club or verbally abuse him. He found out she was tracking him via GPS then got drunk, went to her house, slammed her into a wall a couple of times, kneed her in the face, mounted her, and punched her in the face more than 10 times. Then when she went to call the police he took the phone and smashed it but not before she got through to 911.

Considering he has a prior on his record for abusing the same woman, the fact that he's a professional fighter whose fists are considered weapons and given the severity of her injuries he could have been sentenced to the max of 10 years. I'd say the judge was pretty fair with a 5 year sentence.

Post #8   4/30/16 4:10:14PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:4,112-2,545
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

Post #9   4/30/16 4:35:27PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,124-1,476
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Lavar, Rousey, Browne and War Machine sounds like they would hit it off together

Post #10   4/30/16 5:19:39PM   

jbmoviefan

Standup Guy

jbmoviefan Avatar

Chips:
I made to many assumptions in this story. Nothing in the article says where the assault took place. I assumed from Lavar being drunk and mad about her tracking him with GPS was due to her following him and finding him drunk somewhere. More than anything I was trying to say that if he really wanted to hurt her, he would have, and that 5 years in prison is a long time when the person you assaulted walks away with minor injuries. Also more than 8 years is a long time between his prior misdemeanor and this incident. As far as her verbally assaulting him, that's fabrication on my part, though I highly doubt she was silently standing idle when he threw the first shot.

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #11   4/30/16 6:14:04PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,192-3,001
Chips:
Yeah, a guy like this hitting a woman under almost any circumstance is just messed up. I don't think 5 years is too long for something like this, especially with a past record like his. I see your point about the length between charges but when you're being charged with something similar or the same thing as before that is a pretty clear indication that it's going to be a recurring thing or it already has been. That kind of thing is not reported to the police more than it is.

Post #12   4/30/16 7:22:01PM   

Bythar

Standup Guy

Bythar Avatar

Career:2,651-1,439
Chips:

Posted by jbmoviefan

I made to many assumptions in this story. Nothing in the article says where the assault took place. I assumed from Lavar being drunk and mad about her tracking him with GPS was due to her following him and finding him drunk somewhere. More than anything I was trying to say that if he really wanted to hurt her, he would have, and that 5 years in prison is a long time when the person you assaulted walks away with minor injuries. Also more than 8 years is a long time between his prior misdemeanor and this incident. As far as her verbally assaulting him, that's fabrication on my part, though I highly doubt she was silently standing idle when he threw the first shot.

Whether she was "silently standing idle" or not is irrelevant to what he did.

Post #13   5/1/16 6:13:55AM   

CaseyJones

MMA Regular

CaseyJones Avatar

Career:67-49
Chips:
All I can picture is his ktfo of joey beltran.
That was about 5 or 6 real big cinder blocks from hell.
Then I picture him doing it to a little woman plus some big knees and slamming her head off the floor repeatedly.

Dudes a shit bag 5 years is deserving. he'll probably be out in 3 anyways.

Post #14   5/1/16 6:26:09AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,603-2,098
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Dude beats up a girl and gets 5. Josh Rosenthall grows some weed and.. "He faced 10 years to life in prison, a $10 million fine and a minimum of five years’ probation"

Post #15   5/1/16 12:54:16PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2