Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones "I was a drug addict", blames weed for his downfall

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:357-238
Chips:
Link(MMA Junkie)

“I was a drug addict,” Jones says as lunch arrives at an Albuquerque restaurant midway through the course of a day spent with USA TODAY Sports in late March, a month out from his UFC 197 headline bout with Ovince Saint Preux in Las Vegas on Saturday.

“One thing people don’t realize is that you can be a drug addict even if you are a stoner. If you are waking up every day and smoking, smoking before you eat, smoking before you train, smoke before you sleep, smoking before you watch a movie, smoking before your study session, you are an addict. It doesn’t have to be a hard drug to be an addict.

“If you’re spending lots of money on it and all your friends are people who do it as well and you don’t really associate with people who are completely sober, then, yeah, you are an addict. I think that’s why people have these issues with marijuana, because they don’t really consider it a drug.”

Post #1   4/19/16 11:38:34AM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:357-238
Chips:
Great. Just give weed opposers more ammo to keep it illegal for no reason

That's YOUR problem. YOU were irresponsible and reckless with your fame and talent. Like literally wtf? Plus I heard along time ago on another site he said he use to snitch on potheads. Does he even smoke tho? Lol

Its a plant. Not a fucking drug. Stop making excuses. The sooner you just man up and accept your failures as a person, the sooner you learn and grow as a person. If your gonna blame it on drugs at least blame it on the one you got in trouble for So what, Coke is ok? Hahaha

Last edited 4/19/16 11:50AM server time by 40ouncetpkid
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   4/19/16 11:49:04AM   

shaneTpain

GSP > everyone else

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:4,652-3,150
Chips:
Obviously he's substituting the word marijuana for cocaine. Bones must think we're pretty dumb

Post #3   4/19/16 11:51:19AM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Chips:

Jon Kones

“I was a drug addict,”

“One thing people don’t realize is that you can be a drug addict even if you are a stoner. If you are waking up every day and smoking, smoking before you eat, smoking before you train, smoke before you sleep, smoking before you watch a movie, smoking before your study session, you are an addict. It doesn’t have to be a hard drug to be an addict.

“If you’re spending lots of money on it and all your friends are people who do it as well and you don’t really associate with people who are completely sober, then, yeah, you are an addict. I think that’s why people have these issues with marijuana, because they don’t really consider it a drug.”

Last edited 4/19/16 1:56PM server time by gdpofmpg
2 total post edits

Post #4   4/19/16 11:51:39AM   

JoeWarren33

Heavyweight Champ

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:4,678-2,952
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Jon Jones has to be one of the most dishonest individuals in all of Sports, past and present.

Last edited 4/19/16 12:53PM server time by JoeWarren33

Post #5   4/19/16 12:52:57PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:6,614-3,818
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Great. Just give weed opposers more ammo to keep it illegal for no reason

That's YOUR problem. YOU were irresponsible and reckless with your fame and talent. Like literally wtf? Plus I heard along time ago on another site he said he use to snitch on potheads. Does he even smoke tho? Lol

Its a plant. Not a fucking drug. Stop making excuses. The sooner you just man up and accept your failures as a person, the sooner you learn and grow as a person. If your gonna blame it on drugs at least blame it on the one you got in trouble for So what, Coke is ok? Hahaha

This

Post #6   4/19/16 1:32:33PM   

jae_1833

Bullfrog actual

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,536-4,360
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ok, so before all the activist unite against me I would like to say that I fully support Marijuana dispite my job not allowing me to smoke.

It is time for us to all accept that Marijuana is a drug. It's produced, manufactured, manipulated, cultivated, and biogenetically engineered to be more than what it was by itself if left just to grow in the ground as a plant. It's got a who movement attached to it, even a religion based around it. Too much won't kill you but it can be a bad thing. I think it's way better than tobacco, alcohol and other more notorious drugs for sure but Marijuana is a drug.

Post #7   4/19/16 1:45:30PM   

jbmoviefan

In Full Mount

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:3,030-1,880
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
Even as a firm supporter of marijuana I have to agree that it is a drug. That said the "addiction" is purely mental and anyone who gets addicted to weed would just as easily get hooked on tobacco, alcohol, prescription, or street drugs.

Basically Jon can't handle his shit, as he's simply a weak minded individual, but that's true of most addicts.

Post #8   4/19/16 2:20:16PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,823-1,821
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I'm not even going to get into the whole weed is drug debate because that IMO is a cop out

Jon just needs to take responsibility and prioritize better.

You have to be a weak minded individual to get addicted to marijuana and then blame it as such when bad shit starts to happen to you. Dude just grow up, quit fucking around. Any one of us "normal" guys would give anything to make the money you make, go the places you go, etc..

Post #9   4/19/16 2:50:21PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:5,416-3,592
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Ok, so before all the activist unite against me I would like to say that I fully support Marijuana dispite my job not allowing me to smoke.

It is time for us to all accept that Marijuana is a drug. It's produced, manufactured, manipulated, cultivated, and biogenetically engineered to be more than what it was by itself if left just to grow in the ground as a plant. It's got a who movement attached to it, even a religion based around it. Too much won't kill you but it can be a bad thing. I think it's way better than tobacco, alcohol and other more notorious drugs for sure but Marijuana is a drug.

I have no problem with pot smokers but it is a drug and it is addictive. I think it's relatively harmless and I'm glad it's becoming legal. By any objective criteria the cultivated product is a drug, so is coffee.

Post #10   4/19/16 3:42:54PM   

jae_1833

Bullfrog actual

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,536-4,360
Chips:
I think Bob Saget sums up the whole addicted to pot thing rather well, and hilariously too!

Post #11   4/19/16 5:47:33PM   

CaseyJones

MMA Regular

CaseyJones Avatar

Career:67-49
Chips:
Man never knew I was an addict. I mean...I smoke or eat cannabis before I do anything. If I didn't I'd be taking 18 harmless pills a day including a bunch of NON addictive awesome life bettering opiates that are actually really good for you. And most likely have a bunch of bowel removed and shitting into a bag. I guess it's bad that cannabis has helped me focus on being staying as healthy ad possible and running a successful buisness instead of spending so much time bedridden or hospitalized and on disability payments.

Thanks for opening my eyes Jon Jones.
Damn you vile weed!
Destroyer of life!

Post #12   4/19/16 5:59:39PM   

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:2,186-1,325
Chips:
Marijuana is a drug. It's not a hard or chemical drug like meth or molly or heroin, but it is a drug and it can be addictive. Depending on the individual and what's gone on in their life, one can become addicted to it. If you don't have any health issues like cancer or epilepsy and are just using it to numb a mental illness like a strong depression or sadness, then yes you can be an addict. If you're using it just to get by, day by day, to escape reality then yes you are a drug addict. You don't have to be a weak minded individual to be a drug addict either, if something traumatic happens in one's life that is really affecting them mentally, it can bring some of the strongest people down and they can resort to using a substance to mask that mental pain so they don't have to deal with it. The longer you use it to escape reality the harder it can be to quit, just like any masking substance. I'm not going to say who, but I've experienced it first hand seeing someone close to me be addicted to marijuana and how it severely affected their life. Their motivation level was at an all time low; they never wanted to leave their house; they didn't want to socialize with anyone, not even their family; if they started going without it for a short period of time (like a few hours) they would become very agitated and angry; they literally didn't want to do anything except for sit there and do this substance that would help them escape reality and not haev to deal with the world and what's going on around them and what they're missing in the world. It was truly sad to see and I would not wish that upon anyone. Yes marijuana can be helpful but at the same time it can be harmful depending on who's hands it end up in. I'm not against marijuana in any way, shape or form. It's going to become legal up here in Canada and I support that. But there's no denying it is a drug and one that can be very addictive and whoever doesn't see that it is either very closed minded or ignorant to the matter, which I don't blame them since it can be difficult to understand unless you see it happen first hand to someone close to you. I'm happy for the people it's helping and support them to use it if it's for positive reasons and is having a positive effect on their lives, but I feel for those who are suffering from an addiction to it and it's preventing them from truly living life. Jon was obviously on the negative spectrum when it came to using marijuana so good for him for stopping, and for his sake hopefully he can become a better and more wise person all around.

Post #13   4/19/16 7:10:12PM   

traveller77

Standup Guy

traveller77 Avatar

Career:1,467-756
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

I've experienced it first hand seeing someone close to me be addicted to marijuana and how it severely affected their life. Their motivation level was at an all time low; they never wanted to leave their house; they didn't want to socialize with anyone, not even their family; if they started going without it for a short period of time (like a few hours) they would become very agitated and angry; they literally didn't want to do anything except for sit there and do this substance that would help them escape reality and not haev to deal with the world

You seem to be describing a friend with depression, which also is commonly associated with anxiety and agoraphobia, who was self medicating. This makes a very good point but not the one you were shooting for.

If someone who uses weed has problems too many people chalk up everything to the weed. Weed isnt a good choice for depression but can be very useful for anxiety. Better to suck on the vaporizer then to pop Xanax IMO. Sorry for your friends troubles, but I bet he or she would benefit far more from a psychologist then some BS stay in rehab for weed taking up a bed that an opiate junkie needs to stay alive. We have all been exposed to mountains of bullshit on the subject and now here we are regurgitating it without a proper understanding.

Chalking up a complex psychological problem to an oversimplified "weed addiction" doesnt help anyone. It doesnt address the real problems the user is facing and spreads bad information that keeps THC out of the hands, lungs and stomachs of people who could improve their lives and social contributions with it.

Last edited 4/20/16 4:22AM server time by traveller77

Post #14   4/20/16 4:20:39AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,903-2,311
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't think JJ ever sobered up. He never keeps his story straight when asked how long he has been sober and he is still getting arrested, doing silly things, late at night. I think he is half nice guying/half trolling with his responses. Remember this is the same dude that said he was the kind of guy who would snitch on kids for having weed at school. So, he's either really bad at the nice guy routine or he is trolling us.

off topic but anyone else think if JJ wins in dominate fashion he'll be back at 200? JJ v Hunt if DC ain't ready

Last edited 4/20/16 11:01AM server time by billsnewaccount

Post #15   4/20/16 10:59:38AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2