Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

jiu-jitsu gii

Print  
Posted By Message

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
i need a gii to take jiu-jitsu classes at this place, but the only ones i can find are over $100 which would be fine but im saving my money for college and i have to get my car fixed. i called a karate dojo to see if they had giis for sale and they said they could order me one of these for $30. i need to know if there is a difference between these gii "uniforms" and a jiu-jitsu kimono. i dont want to look like and idiot showing up in a karate gii to a jiu-jitsu class if there is a deifference.

Post #1   7/6/07 11:06:54PM   

MattHughes

MMA Regular

MattHughes Avatar

Career:87-35
Camp: themmaboards.com
Chips:
I'm new to BJJ but I think you want a weaved one and those don't look weaved. Now I could be wrong lol I just ordered a gameness single weave gi which was $85 but didnt include a white belt and I saw a HCK gi that was $70 on www.nhbgear.com and I got my gameness at www.gameness.net search around I'd rather buy a good quality gi and spend more money. I'm in the same boat as you about to go to college and I'm gonna have trouble keeping up with the BJJ money.

Post #2   7/7/07 12:55:05AM   

RmblFsh

Learning to Sprawl

Career:71-40
Chips:
jiu jitsu gis are thicker than martial arts gis. the gi itself is also sewn together to hold up to the rigors of grappling. your karate gi will fall apart and/rip after a few months imo.

Post #3   7/8/07 8:49:03PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by RmblFsh

jiu jitsu gis are thicker than martial arts gis. the gi itself is also sewn together to hold up to the rigors of grappling. your karate gi will fall apart and/rip after a few months imo.

Yeah, I doubt a karate gi would last since most of your grips in a jiu jitsu class are going to be from different holds on the gi.

Post #4   7/8/07 9:24:17PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by RmblFsh

Yeah, I doubt a karate gi would last since most of your grips in a jiu jitsu class are going to be from different holds on the gi.

thats what i was afraid of, but thanx a lot for the info it saved me wasting money on a useless gi. does anyone know where i can get a cheap jiu-jitsu gi maybe a generic brand or something?

Post #5   7/9/07 2:56:58AM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
Here is a legit jiujitsu gi for 60 bucks, I'm not sure your gonna be able to find one for less than that.

Post #6   7/9/07 7:28:17AM   

sHIDOJIM

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
A great Gi for the money is the Sick Jiu Jitsu Gi...its about $125 bucks..and made of good material and looks great too. Its not too heavy and has a thick rubber coller... its at www.sickbrands.com the company is called Sick Gear

Post #7   10/22/09 2:49:21PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
In my experience buying gis, I will say, a little more money pays off in terms of providing more mileage.

If you intend to stay with your training for a few years or more, spend the extra money and get a 100-120$ gi from a reputable company. If you buy a 50-60$ gi that might fall apart at the seams, you'll end up spending more in the long run buying another one or getting it repaired. Chances are cheap gis will fail in the stitching, not the fabric.

I spent about 100$ on my judo gi and it has lasted me for 13 years training in both judo and aikido. The only part that is wearing a little are the knees and the back of the collar.

Post #8   10/22/09 4:44:07PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

Here is a legit jiujitsu gi for 60 bucks, I'm not sure your gonna be able to find one for less than that.

Your not likely to get one cheaper anywhere. Judo, BJJ, and AKido have heavier Gi's and i ahve seen them all used for BJJ and they are fine. Karate a TKD Gi's tend to be far to light as they serve only the purpose of being a uniform instead of a weapon.
Buying a Karate Gi for BJJ would really be a waste of money because after a few days of sparring it will be shredded.

Post #9   10/25/09 6:23:45PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by Gladiator

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by RmblFsh

thats what i was afraid of, but thanx a lot for the info it saved me wasting money on a useless gi. does anyone know where i can get a cheap jiu-jitsu gi maybe a generic brand or something?

Hey if I am not too late on posting try Century Martial Arts

I'm pretty sure the gi I got when I started at my gym (which I am still wearing) was only like $35-40. It's the Century Martial Arts brand. It's lightweight, like maybe 8oz, and single weave, but it's nice because it's not too hot and it's still very durable.

Post #10   10/25/09 6:41:13PM