Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Conor McGregor: 'I'm here to win every belt and then I'm gone'

Print  
How many different weight divisions will Conor McGregor win UFC belts in?
Only Featherweight 10 50%
Featherweight and Lightweight 8 40%
Featherweight, Lightweight and Welterweight 0 0%
Featherweight, Lightweight, Welterweight and Middleweight 0 0%
Every division from Featherweight to Heavyweight 2 10%
A mixture of different divisions from Featherweight to Heavyweight 0 0%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

“Water is wet, fire burns"

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,373-838
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Conor McGregor wants to become the first UFC fighter in history to claim two titles in two different weight classes simultaneously next month. But it now appears he's more serious than ever about going for a third belt later this year, as well.

For months, the reigning featherweight champion has teased that if he defeats Rafael dos Anjos for the lightweight title March 5 at UFC 196, his eyes will shift to the welterweight title next.

Accordingly, rumors have been swirling for weeks that if McGregor wins at UFC 196, a title fight against welterweight champion Robbie Lawler could await him at UFC 200 on July 9. As crazy as it sounds that any fighter could potentially hold three belts in three different divisions simultaneously, McGregor sounds primed to make that run in 2016.

"Why not go up? They get slower and they get less free up there I feel, they're stiffer, even more stuck than the lightweight division," McGregor said in an interview with Severe MMA on Wednesday. "I'll keep going, keep eating, keep training, and keep f--king going until all the belts are wrapped up. I can go all the f--king way.

"I'm afraid of no one. I'll go up and fight any weight. Anyone can come down and step in that cage with me or any cage and see how they fare but nobody fares well that's for sure."

"How many times have you seen a champion instantly go up? How many years have you heard about super fights and nothing? How many times have you heard about a little sore toe, an opponent bounce? There's p--sies everywhere in this game. I'm here to fight, I'm here to win every belt and then I'm gone."

LINK

Ad: Mixup - New by FanDuel. A casual daily fantasy sports game

Post #1   2/18/16 5:30:17AM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:
Oh shoot. I meant to put this in the 'UFC Forum'. If someone could move this it would be much obliged. Thanks.

Post #2   2/18/16 5:33:31AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:
He won't win another. Maybe he beats RDA. For everything he has accomplished (and its pretty impressive) he's nowhere near the best fighter we have ever seen. In MMA if you are vulnerable to ending up on your back you have a serious hole in your game. IMO the worst hole you can have. Surprisingly or not so surprisingly depending on how you look at it, a lot of mma fighters have the same hole. I know the flashy striking styles are all the rage but guys like Edgar,Chad Mendes, Khabib Nurmagomedov, even tony Ferguson are going to be real hard fights for McGregor to win. The Mendes fight is very telling to me. Feather in Connors cap for the KO, I just saw things that confirmed my gut feeling on him though.

Post #3   2/18/16 10:07:16AM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,364-1,473
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:

Posted by postman

He won't win another. Maybe he beats RDA. For everything he has accomplished (and its pretty impressive) he's nowhere near the best fighter we have ever seen. In MMA if you are vulnerable to ending up on your back you have a serious hole in your game. IMO the worst hole you can have. Surprisingly or not so surprisingly depending on how you look at it, a lot of mma fighters have the same hole. I know the flashy striking styles are all the rage but guys like Edgar,Chad Mendes, Khabib Nurmagomedov, even tony Ferguson are going to be real hard fights for McGregor to win. The Mendes fight is very telling to me. Feather in Connors cap for the KO, I just saw things that confirmed my gut feeling on him though.

especially on the Mendes fight. It really exposed Conor's hole in his game. He likely never would have had a chance to beat Aldo if he had fought Chad with a full camp. Chad's gas tank emptying was a blessing for Conor. I don't think he wins that fight otherwise. Likely would've lost a decision. Guys like the ones you mentioned would all likely give him fits. The single most important thing in MMA is the ability to dictate where the fight takes place. Like you said, all the flashiness in the world won't help you if you can't stay upright.

Post #4   2/18/16 6:08:08PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,906-2,697
Chips:
You cant just keep moving up trying to collect belts.
Cause then other champs will wanna do it as well.

He didnt deserve that dos anjos title fight
He should face a top 3 guy to get that shot.

If he wins 155
I doub5 he goes to 170.

I think he will vacate 145 title
And fight at 155 against diaz or alvarez.

I still think gsp may come back
Lawler vs gsp or woodley is next

Post #5   2/23/16 8:26:55AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,839-2,014
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

You cant just keep moving up trying to collect belts.
Cause then other champs will wanna do it as well.

He didnt deserve that dos anjos title fight
He should face a top 3 guy to get that shot.

If he wins 155
I doub5 he goes to 170.

I think he will vacate 145 title
And fight at 155 against diaz or alvarez.

I still think gsp may come back
Lawler vs gsp or woodley is next

Yeah I'm on the fence on what I think is really gonna happen. I think an actual scenario that could play out is this; If Conor wins I think he vacates the Featherweight Belt, keeps the Lightweight Belt, moves to 170 and fights Lawler at UFC 200. It all depends on next weekend. If he losses, there's no way he moves up.

I was trying to predict the Main Card lineup for UFC 200 and there's so many options. Here's one I came up with.

Robbie Lawler vs Conor McGregor
Holly Holm/Meisha Tate winner vs Ronda Rousey
Dominick Cruz vs Urijah Faber
Anderson Silva vs GSP
Alexander Gustaffson vs Glover Texeira

I originally had Carlos Condit vs Stephen Thompson in the last spot but it sounds like Thompson vs Rory MacDonald is the next #1 contender fight.

And the GSP/Silva fight I think that's the least likely of them all, way less likely than Lawler/McGregor.

Post #6   2/23/16 8:41:20AM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,168-1,976
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Defend a belt.

Post #7   2/23/16 11:58:29AM   

McBrydeMats

Learning to Sprawl

McBrydeMats Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
maybe he beats RDA...maybe... but theres no way he beats Lawler, Robbie has a jaw of iron that even conor wont be able to test

Post #8   2/24/16 3:32:27AM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:
Well, he didn't end up fighting RDA at UFC 196 but he fought #5 ranked Nate Diaz and lost. I picked him to beat Nate but I wasn't picking him to beat RDA which is why I chose "Only Featherweight" here. I stand behind that pick even more now as I believe RDA would sub him as well.

I'm curious if the people that picked him to win both Featherweight and Lightweight belts would still pick that??

Post #9   3/7/16 10:14:46PM   

NightmareUFC

Learning to Sprawl

NightmareUFC Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
WW fight - done
now let's fight Luke Rockhold lol

Post #10   3/12/16 5:55:36AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,839-2,014
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Five-Alive

Well, he didn't end up fighting RDA at UFC 196 but he fought #5 ranked Nate Diaz and lost. I picked him to beat Nate but I wasn't picking him to beat RDA which is why I chose "Only Featherweight" here. I stand behind that pick even more now as I believe RDA would sub him as well.

I'm curious if the people that picked him to win both Featherweight and Lightweight belts would still pick that??

I picked Conor to beat Diaz too but I had RDA winning by 2nd Rd Sub.

With thatloss to Diaz, Conor's gonna have to stay at home at 145lbs. He's got plenty of work to do there. Edgar, Aldo 2 for starts and maybe Holloway 2.

Ad: Mixup - New by FanDuel. A casual daily fantasy sports game

Post #11   3/12/16 6:09:36AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,906-2,697
Chips:
Picked connor to lose to aldo and mendes
Picked him to beat diaz
Go figure

Post #12   3/12/16 10:44:46PM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by Five-Alive

I picked Conor to beat Diaz too but I had RDA winning by 2nd Rd Sub.

With thatloss to Diaz, Conor's gonna have to stay at home at 145lbs. He's got plenty of work to do there. Edgar, Aldo 2 for starts and maybe Holloway 2.

RDA by 2nd round sub is what I had picked to. At the very least, those 3 matchups (Edgar, Aldo, Holloway) I think he should fight too before considering another move up. I don't think he beats Edgar and I'm not too sure if he beats Aldo again either. But whether he does or doesn't beat these guys it's probably in his best interest to stay at 145 for awhile, prep his body for a move up to 155 before actually making that move permanently. If you want to be the most successful you can be at a weight class, it takes time to get the right amount of muscle and body fat as well as endurance, cardio and all around comfort at that weight. This is why GSP never made the move to 185, but at least a move up from FTW to LW is only a 10 pound jump instead of 15, so it should take a little less time to make that adjustment. In the end, I still don't see Conor winning another belt in another weight division but he could give himself a better shot at competing with the guys at 155 with a proper move up.

Post #13   3/13/16 5:42:19AM   

Five-Alive

Five-Alive Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Picked connor to lose to aldo and mendes
Picked him to beat diaz
Go figure

I did the exact same. If he fights Edgar next at UFC 200 I'll be picking Edgar. If he fights Aldo again at UFC 200, idk who I'll pick yet....I might have to go with Conor but idk if I can. The first fight kind of ended before it started so it's tough to go off that.

Post #14   3/13/16 5:45:18AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,103-1,461
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
'Every weight from feather to heavy' was voted on by two people. Either delusional human beings or trolls

Post #15   3/13/16 2:59:58PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2