Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Does Conner stop at LW

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:229-212
Chips:
He's only 27 and he weighs over 170 as is if he did win the LW belt in theory could he go to 170

Remember with no IVs natural welterweights may be smaller in the near future not to mention new drug testing

Personally I not only doubt it would ever happen but I think he would get hurt but guys like wonder boy Thompson are winnable fights at that weight imo

Again o don't believe it would happen but does anyone consider this a possibility or more

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #1   12/30/15 1:01:23PM   

SpiderSilva

Living legend

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:2,303-1,485
Chips:
He'll be stopped in his first fight at 155 for sure by RDA

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #2   12/30/15 5:16:27PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,005-1,146
Camp: Bonnie and Clyde
Chips:
I think he could win the LHW belt if he wanted to, just put on a good 40-50 pounds of pure muscle and he will do fine

Post #3   12/30/15 5:53:29PM   

TheShaman

Standup Guy

TheShaman Avatar

Career:1,468-924
Chips:
He has been intentionally holding back his muscle mass, according to a training video of him lifting weights that aired on television. I hope he dedicates himself fully to lightweight after Edgar so he can perform at his full potential, but he has strongly stated his intention to hold both belts at the same time.

Could he compete at WW? I would wait to see what he looks like at LW before answering that question (both physically and his performance). Could he hold three belts simultaneously? I don't see how that would be physically possible.

Don't forget, the UFC didn't always have weight classes, and smaller fighters were able to beat much larger fighters, but the skill level is much different now. If he truly is some modern marvel of MMA, it's possible he could compete against a weight class above him, and if he fully becomes a lightweight, WW would indeed only be one weight class above him.

Post #4   12/30/15 7:22:43PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:
i believe this is answered solely on results. if he goes to LW and wins and defends that belt, we will absolutely see him go to WW.

Post #5   12/30/15 9:11:46PM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:229-212
Chips:

Posted by TheShaman

Could he compete at WW? I would wait to see what he looks like at LW before answering that question (both physically and his performance). Could he hold three belts simultaneously? I don't see how that would be physically possible.

Don't forget, the UFC didn't always have weight classes, and smaller fighters were able to beat much larger fighters, but the skill level is much different now. If he truly is some modern marvel of MMA, it's possible he could compete against a weight class above him, and if he fully becomes a lightweight, WW would indeed only be one weight class above him.

No way would I believe he could hold three belts just for the sake of keeping other divisions moving but I'd be interested in seeing how far his KO power translates up the weight chain

Post #6   12/30/15 9:29:37PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,005-1,146
Camp: Bonnie and Clyde
Chips:
He can do well at LW but WW is a bit of a stretch. It's not uncommon nowadays for guys to be 6"2 and weigh 200+ pounds on fight day. Plus the WW division is absolutely ridiculously stacked... Even guys not ranked right now are super scary. Just too big for McGregor... They will be stuck in the mud though...haha

Post #7   12/30/15 10:49:36PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:5,224-3,463
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
I think we are talking about this a bit early...LW is and always has been one of if not the most stacked division in the UFC, WW is not ever far behind it and sometimes in front of it. LW killers include guys like Diaz, Cerrone, Pettis, Melendez, Alvarez, and of course RDA. That's enough fights for the next couple of years...especially if he defends the FW title against guys like Edgar and Holloway. WW could be in the future, sure...why not. Before I count him in the crowd of Lawler, Condit, Woodley, Brown, and Hendricks I will have to see him perform even more. Can you imagine if he does though? Talk about igniting the imagination...a day where McGregor fights against Rory Mac? Crazy shit happens in MMA...

Post #8   12/31/15 12:37:18AM   

CaseyJones

MMA Regular

CaseyJones Avatar

Career:67-49
Chips:
RDA mollywops him and then he is fed cans to keep him relevant

Post #9   12/31/15 9:50:00AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 43-10

sparky Avatar

Career:5,067-2,809
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
McGregor will KO Dos Anjos ...... I hope when the fight happens no one believes in McGregor so I can cash in again

Post #10   12/31/15 10:51:56AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,045-1,265
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by sparky

McGregor will KO Dos Anjos ...... I hope when the fight happens no one believes in McGregor so I can cash in again

*if.
There are several obstacles barring this path. Should all of them be cleared, which would be a small miracle, then I'll take you up on your offer. I do believe in conor, but moreso in rda.

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #11   12/31/15 12:28:32PM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,506-1,566
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:

Posted by airkerma

Posted by sparky

*if.
There are several obstacles barring this path. Should all of them be cleared, which would be a small miracle, then I'll take you up on your offer. I do believe in conor, but moreso in rda.

I'll admit I'm no fan of Conor, but I'll concede the guy is very talented and has legit ko power and excellent movement, etc. That said, I need to see him beat a guy like Edgar before I give him more than a punchers chance against RDA. Mendes is probably still doing his best Dennis Green impression in regards to their fight saying "he is who I thought he was! I had him! I let him off the hook!". RDA is extremely well rounded and his really turned a corner in his career and found a way to push hinself to new heights in his career and taken out some legit studs. McGregor has too. But he still showed holes against Mendes in the grappling department. That's why until he beats Edgar and shows he can handle guys with a suffocating ground game, I'm taking RDA if they fight. He's a weight class bigger and stronger and has a suffocating top game. I just don't see him getting out from under RDA if he gets him down, and I doubt RDA or Edgar either one would tire put like Mendes did. There is a chance he would catch RDA since RDA has heavy forward pressure and could run into something like Aldo did. I don't see it though.

Moral of the story, he has to show he has fixed or at least improved on that hole in his game for me to take him over the top guys at LW and over Edgar. The guy is very very good. I just need to see something more before I'm sold on him at LW, let alone WW.

Post #12   1/1/16 10:35:19AM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:2,790-1,414
Chips:
I'd say the same thing in regard to Conor that I'd say to any champion that "could" fight in a higher weight class. There's no reason to mess with something that works. Keep the advantage of being the bigger fighter (or at least being equal in size).

Also, lightweight is crazy overcrowded already. Featherweight needs all the help it can get to be interesting.

Post #13   1/1/16 11:43:02AM   

Auntie_Razor

Standup Guy

Auntie_Razor Avatar

Career:1,435-869
Chips:
3 titles, simultaneously? Are we seriously 4 year-olds comparing dads again?

Last edited 1/1/16 5:15PM server time by Auntie_Razor
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   1/1/16 5:09:07PM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,727-2,174
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I see no reason he couldn't hold 4 belts. Rockhold showed he has a lot of holes in his game, I'm sure Connor could exploit. Not to mention Rockhold doesn't tink the way Connor tinks.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #15   1/2/16 11:19:52AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2