Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Growing the Site

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,998-1,142
Camp: Bonnie and Clyde
Chips:
^ way to kill the mood lol. What you say is true though.

Anyone know how much longer this site will last ? Or projected too ?

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #31   10/10/15 9:42:03AM   

jbmoviefan

In Full Mount

jbmoviefan Avatar

Career:2,350-1,441
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
The unfortunate part is that the pay fantasy sites don't have anything that compares to the games we play here. No 10 event season, no full card picks, and no variety of categories to compete within. It's just "pick the best 5 finishers or high volume strikers". I hope that someone comes up with a way to adapt these concepts to a pay fantasy site, but even if they did you couldn't play as a camp. I'll be sad when this site is gone, but short of eliminating the fight camps and converting this to a pay fantasy site I don't really see a solution. I would love it if you could place real money on our fantasy pools, as well as a whole season entry fees. Full card pay fantasy MMA with our point system for finishing details would be incredible, I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Post #32   10/10/15 11:37:06AM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:5,181-2,903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It's true though.....as long as the people who own the site don't care, there's never going to be any improvements because why put work and effort into something that isn't making you money. Especially if you have other sites that are.

I'd love for someone with more ambition to take over ownership of the site, but that person isn't me and I'm not sure who would want to do that.

Last edited 10/10/15 4:30PM server time by xdanish020
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #33   10/10/15 4:30:15PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,367-834
Chips:
The day this site hangs up it's gloves will be a very sad day, no doubt I will shed a tear.
I travelled the U.S. meeting people I have met on this site, guys who have legitimately saved my life, I wad moments away from dying when one member messaged me back promptly. One person on the site helped me through multiple arguments and was able to improve my uni and relationship life, one person gave me the opportunity to talk to some of my favourite fighters, some playground members gave me one of my favourite birthday presents, one playground member helped me clear my head, a couple of playground members took my small ideas and took them off my hand to make some of my favourite side games out there, one playgrounder helped me majorly with some work, shared some of my favourite Simpsons clips with some of you, shared some of my favourite Emma Watson pics with most of you, exchanged midget nudes with a couple of you, one playgrounder played draw something with me for weeks to help me grind to get all the colours to impress school friends, one playgrounder made me feel sick with his post, on multiple occasions has this site made me cry with laughter.

I have posted over 5000 messages, received over 1000 props, received over 210+ pages of messages, sent over 140 pages, I have tried to do my thing on social media but I worry it just hurts the site more.

I love you all, but I think we are coming to the end of the PG, I hope I am proven wrong, but I'll be here to the bitter end. Thiago Silva didn't quit 2 rounds down to Rashad. He started showboating. No matter how good Rashad was that night he was the one looking worse off than Thiago.
Thiago came in looking fat and pudgy against Hamill, had everyone questioning his cardio, and once again instead of relaxing and being fatigued, he turned up for the 3rd round and scored a 10-8 round.
When Thiago was getting dominated by Gus in Sweden, in the main event having been dropped less than 2 minutes in, he fought to that last minute and even picked up 2 10-9 rounds in that last round.

I'm not going anywhere, it's not over until the fat lady sings. So someone call DCRage's momma and tell her to warm up her vocal chords, till then I'm here to the end.

Last edited 10/10/15 8:09PM server time by jjeans

Dirty Blue

Post #34   10/10/15 8:02:12PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,047-1,306
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
All the events plus 80 plus hours at work has sucked a lot out of me.
I really wish we could go back to 1 event every month or so. It made it so much easier to talk about all the fights.

Post #35   10/10/15 8:04:49PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,225-1,439
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

The day this site hangs up it's gloves will be a very sad day, no doubt I will shed a tear.
I travelled the U.S. meeting people I have met on this site, guys who have legitimately saved my life, I wad moments away from dying when one member messaged me back promptly. One person on the site helped me through multiple arguments and was able to improve my uni and relationship life, one person gave me the opportunity to talk to some of my favourite fighters, some playground members gave me one of my favourite birthday presents, one playground member helped me clear my head, a couple of playground members took my small ideas and took them off my hand to make some of my favourite side games out there, one playgrounder helped me majorly with some work, one playgrounder played draw something with me for weeks to help me grind to get all the colours to impress school friends, one playgrounder made me feel sick with his post, on multiple occasions has this site made me cry with laughter.

I have posted over 5000 messages, received over 1000 props, received over 210+ pages of messages, sent over 140 pages, I have tried to do my thing on social media but I worry it just hurts the site more.

I love you all, but I think we are coming to the end of the PG, I hope I am proven wrong, but I'll be here to the bitter end. Thiago Silva didn't quit 2 rounds down to Rashad. He started showboating. No matter how good Rashad was that night he was the one looking worse off than Thiago.
Thiago came in looking fat and pudgy against Hamill, had everyone questioning his cardio, and once again instead of relaxing and being fatigued, he turned up for the 3rd round and scored a 10-8 round.
When Thiago was getting dominated by Gus in Sweden, in the main event having been dropped less than 2 minutes in, he fought to that last minute and even picked up 2 10-9 rounds in that last round.

I'm not going anywhere, it's not over until the fat lady sings. So someone call DCRage's momma and tell her to warm up her vocal chords, till then I'm here to the end.

This post sums up how I feel also

Post #36   10/10/15 8:06:03PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Anyone know how much longer this site will last ? Or projected too ?

since i returned to the site, here are some pick numbers over last 5 years

ufc 131 JDS/Carwin- June 2011 - 3214 picks

ufc 141 Lesnar/Overeem- December 2011- 3415 picks

ufc 148 Silva/Sonnen 2- July 2012- 2642 picks

ufc 155- JDS/Cain 2- Dec 2012- 2067 picks

ufc 162- Silva/Weidman- July 2013- 1987 picks

ufc 167- GSP/Hendricks- Nov 2013- 1622 picks

ufc on fox 12- Lawler/Brown- July 2014- 1150 picks

ufc 182- Jones/Cormier- Jan 2015- 1052 picks

ufc 189- Mendes/McGregor- July 2015- 952 picks

a couple things to get from this

1. a good part of those events i chose big name fighters and the number of picks are actually higher than most of the other events in the season, so those pick numbers are actually higher than normal

2. when i started picking events, trying to space them out every 6 months, i noticed i was grabbing an event per season but with all the events we have had lately, i noticed that there have been nearly 3 seasons of events for this site just for 2015 alone......thats CRAZY compared to only a couple of years ago. i love it as a fan, but the proof is in the pudding about the oversaturation

i could find a lot more info on this if i looked into it enough, but im tired and dont feel like it. if you notice the dramatic drop in numbers and the dramatic increase of events we have to pick in a year, like fleek, im kind of surprised its held up this strong. but thats always why ive liked this site. lots of dedicated members.

Post #37   10/11/15 1:45:14AM   

whodat

The Dawrkness

whodat Avatar

Career:2,159-1,200
Chips:
UFC 77: 7,884 picks

Edit:
Your #2 is crazy to think about PF.

Edit again:
800 people making picks is still a nice sized community, and I'm sure there's 200+ more who don't make picks and lurk the forums.
It's just terrible from what it once was.
I think as long as it stays around the 800 mark the site will stick around.
Which I think it has a good chance at leveling off around 750, since all that's left is the die hards who have invested too much time on the site to give it up.

Last edited 10/11/15 12:18PM server time by whodat
2 total post edits

Post #38   10/11/15 12:00:08PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:5,223-2,875
Chips:
I dont wanna see the site go.

I enjoy it.

Suprised the decline since its a free site to join.
The ufc fight forums and their fantasy site may have lured alot away.
Hope it keeps running. Too bad the site cant get tied into with a major mma organization like bellator to help sponsor the site

I would help run the site if i could.
Im not that computer i literate to do so

Last edited 10/11/15 1:32PM server time by prozacnation1978

Post #39   10/11/15 1:29:29PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:3,098-1,799
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:
i know the drop in numbers is a real thing but if its tied to the increase in events, then the drop could level out. its not like the ufc can give us more events than they already are.

on another note, its been so long since i found this site, i dont even remember how i found it in the first place

Post #40   10/11/15 9:17:09PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i know the drop in numbers is a real thing but if its tied to the increase in events, then the drop could level out. its not like the ufc can give us more events than they already are.

on another note, its been so long since i found this site, i dont even remember how i found it in the first place

I was doing fantasy on another site which frankly sucked and had a horrible forum community.

An IRL friend of mine from high school (who's now a semi-successful pro fighter) told me to check this place out. Been here ever since.

As for all the doom and gloom, I'm not sure its as bad as some of you are saying. The site has declined precipitously, but it's still fairly large. We get multi page threads on the large news stories.

I'll say this, if and when this site does close down, we need to all migrate together. The reason I love reading the news here is that I get INFORMED reaction from the comment section. Social media comments are garbage and so are most other MMA sites. The most popular comments tend to be the ones that go for cheap laughs through ignorance.

The quality of conversation here is really unmatched.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #41   10/12/15 1:16:56AM   

RhythmAndStyle

Straight Flexin'

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:3,902-2,384
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm with a lot of u guys that has been here since 07/08..I left Sherdog forums for this site and have never looked back..I don't even care about winning but I love the knowledge that is being shared on this site..some of u guys who have been here as long as I have been, in a way I feel like u guys are all my friends..I seen some go and was kinda bummed out by that but a majority of y'all stayed..and I hope to see this site die with u guys(but let's hope it doesn't)..someone needs to contact whoever is the damn owner of this site and tell him/them to hand it over to some of us that will actually take care of it and put in the effort..cus TBH this site is where I find all my MMA news..sometimes junkie and Sherdog are just a tad bit behind

Post #42   10/12/15 1:15:03PM   

Michael_Corleone

I'm knocking out all bums

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:2,316-1,309
Chips:
This site certainly has a "Myspace" feel to it.

I came over from the ESPN Forums and have never gone back. I have little interest in joining another site if this place shuts down. I spent about a minute and a half reading sherdog forums. You couldn't pay me to join sherdog. Don't know if that place ever changed and quite frankly, I don't care.

Post #43   10/13/15 11:51:58AM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
I still lurk. Read the news posts. Haven't made a pick in forever. Too hard to keep up with the one fight contract no names the ufc brings in. Not as fun to me and with the exception of the main event names I barely know anything about the fighters. But this site is still home no matter how long I go between posts. If this ever fades away that'll be a shitty day. And then the only people talking about the sport will be ufc bros spouting nonsense.

Post #44   10/13/15 5:22:11PM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
FanDuel et al. as many have mentioned is one big factor for the decline. The other one (at least in my case) is the expansion of the sport itself and the increased frequency of events. Back in the day it was fun waiting 3 weeks to a month in between events. It gave you time to do a bit of research, get your picks in, discuss etc. Now it feels like UFC has an event every three days so it was either miss events or do picks randomly. It takes a huge amount of time trying to keep up with it so I jumped ship. I've only been coming back for the Off-Topic forum to kill some time and keep up with with the few of you that have been around and active since my early days.

Post #45   10/14/15 11:44:04PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3