Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Shamrock won't return to UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

komodo20

MMA Regular

komodo20 Avatar

Career:1,422-1,025
Camp: L.I. TOP TEAM
Chips:
Dana White, however, has other ideas, as the UFC President stated today that the 43-year-old legend had his contract terminated with one fight left on it, meaning he will no longer fight for the organization.

"I like Ken Shamrock," White said in a conference call. "If I saw him tomorrow, I'd say hello to him and see how his family is and everything else. He needs to think about retiring."

Shamrock has lost six of his last seven MMA fights, including three in a row in the UFC. His only win came against fellow 40-something Kimo Leopoldo.

"He has lost every fight he's had in UFC except for one," White said. "He's just not at that level anymore as a UFC fighter.

"He lost to Tito Ortiz three times," White continued. "He lost to Rich Franklin, who's a 185-pounder. Before we picked him up from PRIDE, he'd lost like six fights in a row in PRIDE. (In actuality, Shamrock lost three of four PRIDE fights.)

In other news, White said that the company was hoping to have Chuck Liddell back in the octagon in November, though his opponent is still not yet known. White at one time had alluded to a possible fight with Wanderlai Silva, but said now that it was no longer a certainty.

In regards to the PRIDE sale, he acknowledged that the company is in a bit of disarray, and that bringing fighters over to the UFC is a way to keep them active while the future of PRIDE is decided.

"They went out of business for a reason," he said. "Because that company's a mess. We're trying to figure it out and fix it. We've got a lot going on with the UFC. We opened an office in the UK and other things going on, we have a lot going on and these things take time. It's a lot more complicated and messed-up than we thought it was. PRIDE is a very powerful brand and I honestly don't know what is going to happen. We bought it with the intention of running it but it's a seriously messed-up company, so we're trying to figure it out.

Finally, despite a recent report in Variety which stated the UFC-HBO deal was likely not going to happen, White insisted it's "far from dead."

Post #1   7/3/07 7:41:30PM   

komodo20

MMA Regular

komodo20 Avatar

Career:1,422-1,025
Camp: L.I. TOP TEAM
Chips:
Ken is to old and can't fight no more

Post #2   7/3/07 8:00:11PM   

Canadian_MM_EH

Banned

Career:82-58
Chips:
I'd like to see him take 07 off, and maybe in 08 he can come back for a super fight!

Post #3   7/3/07 8:05:29PM   

CanadianCripplr

MMA Regular

CanadianCripplr Avatar

Career:1,357-765
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
dana white should fight shamrock. I dont mind seeing dana getting a smack.

Post #4   7/3/07 9:49:14PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by komodo20
"He has lost every fight he's had in UFC except for one," White said. "He's just not at that level anymore as a UFC fighter.

How incorrect is this. Ken Shamrock has won 7 fights in the UFC.

Get it though your head Dana, the UFC existed before you bought it.

Post #5   7/3/07 11:31:38PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
you cant tell me theres not one person ken shamrock could fight

granted he has got the shit kicked out of him the last 4 fights but he keeps fighting top 10 fighters. i'd pay to watch him fight maybe like a new fighter in the ufc. might be interesting

ah what do i know

Post #6   7/4/07 4:20:40AM   

FeelTheJoy

MMA Regular

FeelTheJoy Avatar

Career:87-62
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by komodo20

How incorrect is this. Ken Shamrock has won 7 fights in the UFC.

Get it though your head Dana, the UFC existed before you bought it.

yea but it was totaly different. it was like a tournament. and all one weight class i think. pretty sure it was cuz gracie was fighting guys twice his size and weight.

Post #7   7/4/07 6:51:57AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by FeelTheJoy

yea but it was totaly different. it was like a tournament. and all one weight class i think. pretty sure it was cuz gracie was fighting guys twice his size and weight.

Out of the seven wins he has in the UFC, 4 of them are against guys that are over 200lbs (Kimo x2, Severn and Patrick Smith). He fought Oleg to a draw (Oleg is also over 200lbs)

I am not sure about the weights of Leninger and Mitchell, but they are probably under 200lbs and of course Gracie is under 200lbs too. Keep in mind that he did not beat Gracie.

All in all, I don't think weight was really a factor and I think the tournament makes it harder to win. The calibre of opponents will always be debatable.

More so my point was not to debate whether or not the 'old' UFC is the same or different than the 'new' UFC, but rather to state that Dana White's comment was incorrect (by a long shot).

Post #8   7/4/07 5:11:23PM   

FeelTheJoy

MMA Regular

FeelTheJoy Avatar

Chips:
yea but some people who fought in the tourament had no right or skill to be their. and lots of fight were won really really fast

Post #9   7/4/07 10:56:47PM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Ken isnt as bad as Dana makes him sound i mean he fought Tito twice in a row and Franklin lets see ummmm two ex champs...Dana needs to get smarter.

Post #10   7/5/07 3:38:39AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

Ken isnt as bad as Dana makes him sound i mean he fought Tito twice in a row and Franklin lets see ummmm two ex champs...Dana needs to get smarter.

The point Dana was making is that Tito completely dominated him and then Franklin hammered him and Franklin fights at 185.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #11   7/5/07 7:45:05AM   

Signal2112

Standup Guy

Signal2112 Avatar

Career:52-22
Chips:
Ah well. Thats a shame, but then. who would be left for him to fight. Having been beaten by Tito I can imagine him needing time to get some respect back. But hey, I watched Ken vs Otsuka last night on the Pride 2000 Grand Prix, and Ken was on excellent form that night, despite the power cut!

Post #12   7/5/07 9:39:26AM   

sirc625

Learning to Sprawl

sirc625 Avatar

Career:19-3
Camp: Team Maxim
Chips:
Ken Shamrock had his time and at 43 he's no Randy Couture.

Post #13   7/5/07 1:20:17PM   

FeelTheJoy

MMA Regular

FeelTheJoy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by sirc625

Ken Shamrock had his time and at 43 he's no Randy Couture.

Post #14   7/6/07 2:16:16AM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Yeah i guess his time is done.unless he shows everyone different

Post #15   7/6/07 3:15:33AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2