Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mike Tyson

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MMA_Needs_Mayhem

MMA Regular

MMA_Needs_Mayhem Avatar

Career:660-423
Chips:
I think people are thinking of the flashy Tyson, look at when he used to train with Cus D'Amato and look at the training videos. His body was in peak physical shape and no one punched or moved like Tyson. For those who say Tyson was just a power puncher, are truly 'uneducated' seems like a lot of people like to throw that word around. He was agile, he had amazing footwork and would throw punches with intent to hurt. Tyson at his prime would be a force to reckon with, although Fedor did get dropped on his head...hmmm did Tyson ever get dropped on his head?

Post #16   7/4/07 2:26:02PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:

Posted by MMA_Needs_Mayhem

I think people are thinking of the flashy Tyson, look at when he used to train with Cus D'Amato and look at the training videos. His body was in peak physical shape and no one punched or moved like Tyson. For those who say Tyson was just a power puncher, are truly 'uneducated' seems like a lot of people like to throw that word around. He was agile, he had amazing footwork and would throw punches with intent to hurt. Tyson at his prime would be a force to reckon with, although Fedor did get dropped on his head...hmmm did Tyson ever get dropped on his head?

I think if we are talking pure mma of course Tyson would get his ass handed to him unless he was briefly trained on how to sprawl. if he could sprawl he would have been far more devistating than even Liddell. His punches were amazingly powerful quick and accurate. He threw combinations that made grown men cry. People called him an animal but he was definitely a technically awesome boxer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvZ2roRDPYU

Post #17   7/4/07 2:33:26PM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by DJDark41

Mike Tyson < Any MMA fighter. Mike Tyson would just stand and play "who throws the sloppiest punch," get taken down and have an arm or leg broken, or get choked out. Mike Tyson is just a boxer, and not even really a good one. Sure, he won alot, but half the reason he won was because people were scared of him. Stick prime Mike Tyson in a cage with someone like CroCop, Big Nog, Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, or Tito Ortiz, and he would get wrecked.

WOW. Im giving you the benefit of the doubt, and hoping that you are a youngster. That way, you wouldnt have seen Tyson fight in his prime, and I could forgive the comments you made. But...

"Mike Tyson would just stand and play "who throws the sloppiest punch," ... Mike Tyson is just a boxer, and not even really a good one. Sure, he won alot, but half the reason he won was because people were scared of him. "

This is just an untrue statement. Sloppy punches? Maybe now, but in his prime, Tyson=Fedor of boxing. They were scared because he was killing everyone. He lost when he lost his training edge and got lazy.

Mike Tyson is just a boxer, and not a very good one??
Tyson is arguably the most dominant boxer of all time. This statement is also untrue, regardless of anyone's personal opinion. Even if you dont think hes the best, he's in everyones top 5.

Im not saying that he couldve beaten a top MMA fighter, but to say he had no chance is just... well, untrue. It was already said best before me in this thread, he really only needed one punch to land, and goodnight.

Post #18   7/4/07 2:51:16PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:

Posted by DJDark41

Mike Tyson < Any MMA fighter. Mike Tyson would just stand and play "who throws the sloppiest punch," get taken down and have an arm or leg broken, or get choked out. Mike Tyson is just a boxer, and not even really a good one. Sure, he won alot, but half the reason he won was because people were scared of him. Stick prime Mike Tyson in a cage with someone like CroCop, Big Nog, Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, or Tito Ortiz, and he would get wrecked.

Are you serious? Tyson is one of the most talented boxers ever, his power, even with 16oz gloves, was immense. People were scared of him? Sure, there was an aura, but he fought with some immense power that made it hard for him to be controlled. And to say his punching is sloppy is just wrong, look at his KO's; he didnt just try to wilt people under a hail of blows, he sniped people with 2 or 3 well places shots that opened their guard, then used a big bomb to put them down. Im sure he wouldnt fare well against an MMA fighter of his weight, but if he hit them even once as they shot in for that takedown, with 40z gloves, he would KO them without a doubt.

Get a clue about Tyson before you talk trash about him.

Post #19   7/4/07 6:37:28PM   

jdubs

In Full Mount

jdubs Avatar

Career:95-45
Chips:
tyson would ko many good mma fighters as would other great boxers, it all depends on the style their as matched up against. if it is a stand up guy i think tyson would win almost every time, if he got taken down then he is screwed

Post #20   7/4/07 7:06:29PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Not one person could take a tyson punch with 4oz gloves. A fighter(other then Hunt) would get KO'd first shot. Tyson was rediculously strong.

Last edited 7/4/07 7:27PM server time by cmill21
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   7/4/07 7:26:34PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Tyson ran through boxing at a time that it was weaker than it is now.

Tyson got wtfpwned every time he fought a boxer of high quality.

Seriously, what was his greatest win? Michael Spinx?

Tyson would lose to any Heavyweight with an understanding of the ground. In addition, putting your head down and charging in (like Tyson so loved to do) might make him kinda vulnerable to the ole' Tai clinch.

List of fighters that could beat Tyson in his prime:
Fedor
Big Nog
Barnett
Couture
Gonzaga
Vera
Randleman
Coleman
Overheem
Werdum
Alexandre

Post #22   7/4/07 8:08:11PM   

FeelTheJoy

MMA Regular

FeelTheJoy Avatar

Career:87-62
Chips:
and tyson is a reall y horrible perverted person. i watched a video on the worst of tyson and wow. he was talking abut how he loved to fornicate with tons of woman. and he wouldnt do an interview with a lady without her having sex with him. and he likes to eat babys. its off topic but needs to be told

Post #23   7/4/07 11:00:38PM   

danny81

MMA Regular

Career:1-
Chips:
feel the joy have you ever actuallly been in PRISON not JAIL. big difference. anyway i have freinds who have and they tell me stories about the fighting styles. basicallly what i have learned are that the black gangs work primarily on striking and invented 52 blocks and the spanish gangs invented a sort of GnP type of fighitng style and they practice it out in the yard.

Post #24   7/4/07 11:09:00PM   

FeelTheJoy

MMA Regular

FeelTheJoy Avatar

Chips:
no i havent been to jail or prison. im not a criminal. meant prison. and if what your saying is true i highly doubt it is affective. and it was prob just in that one prison. iv watchd alot of prison fights on the computer and they all are just guys flailing their arms around.

Post #25   7/5/07 1:35:08AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FeelTheJoy

and tyson is a reall y horrible perverted person. i watched a video on the worst of tyson and wow. he was talking abut how he loved to fornicate with tons of woman. and he wouldnt do an interview with a lady without her having sex with him. and he likes to eat babys. its off topic but needs to be told

Stop Trolling.

Post #26   7/5/07 7:26:58AM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,510-938
Chips:
Tyson in his prime would beat almost anyone I believe, as long as he could keep from biting them and getting DQ'd. He was just a crazy, angry, disturbed, genetically superior killing machine, and boxing was the only legal way at the time to get paid for it. I'm sure if Mike in his prime spent any time at all training for sprawl/ground-game he would 1-shot KO a good portion of modern MMA practitioners. Someone with near equal strength (a feat unto itself) in his weight class that is a submission-monster would probably own him with easy IF he could avoid getting decapitated on the way in. But yeah... factoring in his agility, speed, raw strength, massive power, and general desire to kill / maim other human beings, Tyson in his prime would be problematic for any current top contender. I'd say prime-Tyson would win 4/5 fights.

Post #27   7/5/07 7:33:36AM   

danny81

MMA Regular

Career:1-
Chips:
alright. Number one 52 blocks it is actaully effective. zab judah, mike tyson, and floyd mayweather jr. all know this style and have used it in an actual boxing match and it actually has worked for them. im not sure how mayweather learned it because he hasnt been to jail but w.e. the spanish gangs have created a sort of anti 52s type style to defeat the 52s which is GnP. if you dont believe it go to your nearest city and go to some criminal and tell him that 52s doesnt exist. he will prove it to you

Post #28   7/5/07 3:33:46PM   

FeelTheJoy

MMA Regular

FeelTheJoy Avatar

Chips:
i cant see how EVERY JAIL knows this style of fighting. but. hey i guess its possible to make a fighting style in prison.but ehh.

Post #29   7/6/07 2:00:54AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Chips:
Convicts often get transferred, repeat offenders often go through several institutues in their lives, so they take the knowledge of these systems with them and pass it on, so the knowledge of these fighting systems spreads. Of course, there are differences from institute to institute, and the systems obviously change somewhat over distance, its like evolution man.

Post #30   7/6/07 7:05:18AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3