Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mike Tyson

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

komodo20

MMA Regular

komodo20 Avatar

Career:1,422-1,025
Camp: L.I. TOP TEAM
Chips:
Could any MMA fighter last one round against Mike Tyson in his prime?

Post #1   7/3/07 7:15:32PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by komodo20

Could any MMA fighter last one round against Mike Tyson in his prime?

I think the question should be

Could Mike Tyson in his prime last one round with any MMA fighter?

My answer would be that I think at least 90% of current fighters in the UFC would destroy Tyson (in his prime) in one round, given MMA rules of course

Post #2   7/3/07 7:36:51PM   

danny81

MMA Regular

Career:1-
Chips:
i definetly disagree tyson in his prime was also a street fighter. most people forget that he has been in jail and he is not only a boxer. he new 52s and he probably new some sort of ground game which he learned in prison. he would beat most MMA fighters

Post #3   7/3/07 7:38:43PM   

DJDark41

MMA Sensei

DJDark41 Avatar

Career:363-219
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Mike Tyson < Any MMA fighter. Mike Tyson would just stand and play "who throws the sloppiest punch," get taken down and have an arm or leg broken, or get choked out. Mike Tyson is just a boxer, and not even really a good one. Sure, he won alot, but half the reason he won was because people were scared of him. Stick prime Mike Tyson in a cage with someone like CroCop, Big Nog, Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, or Tito Ortiz, and he would get wrecked.

Post #4   7/3/07 7:51:23PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
thats not true, tysons been practicing kickboxing for a number of years now

Post #5   7/3/07 9:05:02PM   

ButterBalls

Jiu-Jistu Bean

ButterBalls Avatar

Career:265-159
Chips:
LOL at all the uneducated postings...

Tyson, in his prime, knocked dudes out in under a minute with 1-2 punches with 16oz gloves. Good luck taking him down when literally all he needs is one.

Post #6   7/3/07 9:48:49PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ButterBalls

Tyson, in his prime, knocked dudes out in under a minute with 1-2 punches with 16oz gloves. Good luck taking him down when literally all he needs is one.

Uneducated? lol

Tyson knocked out other boxers with no thought in his mind that a guy could/would shoot in for a double leg.

Also, forgive me for be suspicious of any boxing match that is over in under one minute.

Post #7   7/3/07 11:37:31PM   

ko-kbo130

MMA Regular

ko-kbo130 Avatar

Career:208-140
Chips:
if foghters like cotuire, and ortiz cant beat lidell what the hell makes you think theyd be able to beat tyson in his prime. tyson is a much better stand up fighter than lidell and wrestlers have trouble with lidell. tyson would just destroy them.

Post #8   7/3/07 11:47:46PM   

EEKS

MMA Regular

EEKS Avatar

Career:182-110
Camp: Chicago Top Team
Chips:
no.................................... in boxing

Post #9   7/4/07 1:40:04AM   

Fanboy 1988

Standup Guy

Fanboy 1988  Avatar

Career:68-49
Chips:

Posted by ButterBalls

Post #10   7/4/07 1:45:39AM   

danny81

MMA Regular

Career:1-
Chips:
tyson is better at striking then lidell. tyson nows 52 blocks which trains you to use hands knees and elbows. its clear he is a better puncher. most likely a better elbow and knee guy and lidell has better kicks. tyson is a better overallstriker. BTW you know how hard you will have to hit tyson to knock him out? and if they try and take him down they wil get a good knee to the face. 52s was created in retaliation to the latins GnP technique type fighting so 52s are experts at avoiding take downs. another great boxer that would do good in MMA is rocky marciano not only because he is GREAT at striking but he is also an amazing wrestler

Post #11   7/4/07 2:18:03AM   

ButterBalls

Jiu-Jistu Bean

ButterBalls Avatar

Career:265-159
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by ButterBalls

Uneducated? lol

Tyson knocked out other boxers with no thought in his mind that a guy could/would shoot in for a double leg.

Also, forgive me for be suspicious of any boxing match that is over in under one minute.

correct, he knocked out other boxers, who train their entire lives for getting hit in the head for 12 rounds, with 16oz gloves, in less than a minute.

I think his fastest knockout was in the Olympics actually...yeah, that was rigged

Post #12   7/4/07 3:13:10AM   

KomodoBJJ

Learning to Sprawl

KomodoBJJ Avatar

Career:274-210
Camp: L.I. TOP TEAM
Chips:
Tyson use too have this raw ability that was amazing. But in ufc tyson wouldnt stand a chance against the guys now. How many times do you see a boxing match go too the clinch before some one gets knocked down? (Have you seen the evander holyfield fights) If any mma fighter clinched with tyson they can then get the tackdown and be home free because tyson wouldnt know much on the ground. This is what seperates boxers from mma fighters

Post #13   7/4/07 6:47:40AM   

FeelTheJoy

MMA Regular

FeelTheJoy Avatar

Career:87-62
Chips:
im pretty sure you dont learn ground game in jail. you prob learn how to smuggle drugs and write secret letters and learn how to shank people with dried poo. not learn how to fight. have you seen videos of jail fights? they look horrible like school fight. dudes flailing their arms with their head down hoping to hit the other guy. o and then their is the over sized shirt that gets riped and pulld of the head and the guy has the shirt in one hand and hitting the guy with the other while the dude getting his oversized shirt pulled is saying stop ****** i cant see. pretty descriptive but trying to get you a good image of what im talking about. just type in fight on youtube. youll see what im talkn about

Post #14   7/4/07 7:00:55AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ButterBalls
correct, he knocked out other boxers, who train their entire lives for getting hit in the head for 12 rounds, with 16oz gloves, in less than a minute.

I think his fastest knockout was in the Olympics actually...yeah, that was rigged

Exactly, other boxers that trained to throw punches with him. I am in no way saying that a boxer can't hit, let alone Tyson, but the guy never trained to defend/expect a take-down. The way Tyson usually came out in his fights, I could see him being very susceptible to a take-down. I'm sure Tyson's punching power would be severely diminished on the ground.

Just look at the Mercer vs. Kimbo. Look at how easy Kimbo took Mercer down and Kimbo is not even that talented of a grappler.

I've talked to a few boxers, of whom are very interested in MMA, but they don't seem to have any idea about what it's like to strike on the ground.

In addition, considering Tyson's very low level of intelligence, I can't see him preparing for an MMA fight.

With respect to the fastest knockout, I'm not necessarily saying it was rigged, but you have to admit there are/were a lot of title fights that ended awfully fast. That coupled with the amount of money involved for both winner and loser, you'll have to forgive me for being cynical.

Post #15   7/4/07 11:29:23AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3