Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nate Diaz returns to face Michael Johnson at UFC on FOX 17

Print  
Posted By Message

Wez

Standup Guy

Wez Avatar

Career:1,874-1,143
Camp: The Dirty Birds
Chips:
Nate Diaz will resume fighting inside the cage before the end of the year.

The popular Diaz meets Michael Johnson at UFC on FOX 17 on Dec. 19, it was announced Monday night on FOX Sports Live.

Read more here.....

(Courtesy of All That MMA on Twitter)

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #1   8/24/15 11:31:42PM   

traveller77

Standup Guy

traveller77 Avatar

Career:1,467-756
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
usually when the judges shit the bed, the UFC ignores the loss when it comes to the losing fighters next matchup. Not this time for some reason. This will be a fun fight to watch, but a big step down in competition for Johnson. I guess they had to give Nate a real name or he wouldnt have come back I assume. It sucks that the Diaz's usually get what they want following their tantrums, but I think there is another thread going on that topic. This fight will get some attention though, including mine. Johnson will win the first with superior footwork and speed, then get called a pussy for the next 2 rounds. Johnson UD

Post #2   8/24/15 11:45:27PM   

Gumby90

Hello

Gumby90 Avatar

Career:3-1
Chips:
What are you talking about? Johnson's never been super impressive and Diaz is a bigger name than Dos Anjos.

Post #3   8/25/15 12:17:15AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,206-1,251
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not a bad match up for Diaz. Johnson looked good against dariush and lost that controversially. He was in title contention before that loss and if he loses this one then he's pretty much done for a while. All the pressure is on Johnson. Would be good to see how Nate goes against a guy a level down from dos anjos.

Post #4   8/25/15 12:27:11AM   

quezocrema0032

MMA Sensei

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:3,216-1,832
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by traveller77

usually when the judges shit the bed, the UFC ignores the loss when it comes to the losing fighters next matchup. Not this time for some reason. This will be a fun fight to watch, but a big step down in competition for Johnson. I guess they had to give Nate a real name or he wouldnt have come back I assume. It sucks that the Diaz's usually get what they want following their tantrums, but I think there is another thread going on that topic. This fight will get some attention though, including mine. Johnson will win the first with superior footwork and speed, then get called a pussy for the next 2 rounds. Johnson UD

I consider the Diaz's (Nick at least for sure) in the same category of negotiator as Revis. They look crazy, unrealistic and childish with their demands but more often then not they're the one getting the rewards.

I don't think I can pick a more winnable fight in the top 10 for Diaz then this fight (maybe Dariush since he isn't as good on the feet but I feel it's likely he takes Diaz down and decisions him). MJ is still not proven on the mat so if he follows Diaz there at all he can get caught and while MJ is way faster he will mostly just box Diaz and that gives Diaz his best chance to win since Diaz struggles with kickboxers (Cerrone, RDA and Josh Thomson).

I think MJ will be the rightful favorite but this is a good chance for him to leapfrop a lot of guys with a win here.

Post #5   8/25/15 1:19:19AM   

traveller77

Standup Guy

traveller77 Avatar

Career:1,467-756
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Good points but both Diaz brothers stop fighting when they get frustrated. Activity and speed advantages should be enough for MJ to get it done. I dont see any takedown attempts on either side, so it comes down to Nate's ability to cut off the ring against a faster guy, and how long it takes before he starts bitching about how the guy wont fight him. If MJ stays on the outside and lands enough that Nate feels he is down in the fight, he wont make it to the 4 minute mark of the 2nd round before he starts waving his arms around and name calling. He's been on the bench, he has some miles on him now, and who knows how hard he's been working on his game the last while. I bet he has been working on other fighters games more than his own. I do like Nate as a fighter, but I dont think he has earned or is ready for a top ten guy right now.

Post #6   8/25/15 1:42:17AM   

TheCatFather

In Full Mount

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:3,571-2,453
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:

Post #7   8/25/15 10:06:46AM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:4,702-2,472
Chips:
This has some really good potential.

Both guys don't really take any shit so the weigh in should be entertaining. I can definitely see these guys getting into it for sure.

My guess is vegas will start their odds in the -225 to -250 range.

Safe pick is MJ but I'd love to see Nate beat MJ down and sub him unconscious.

Post #8   8/25/15 10:31:41AM   

BillsNewAccount

FKA 2.0

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:3,799-2,227
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Not a bad match up for Diaz. Johnson looked good against dariush and lost that controversially. He was in title contention before that loss and if he loses this one then he's pretty much done for a while. All the pressure is on Johnson. Would be good to see how Nate goes against a guy a level down from dos anjos.

I thought Johnson looked like shit against Dariush. He was trying to pepper him from across the cage with weak 1-2s. UFC brass must not have liked it either so they picked a guy that will stay in his face.

I think the speed will be too much for Nate but the Diaz bros can always surprise me. I'd love to see Nate come in the same way he did against Jim Miller or Cerrone. It seems like a lot of people are righting off Nate but all the fighters he has lost to of recent have been studs.

Also I don't see it as Nate throwing a tantrum and getting the fight he wanted. I see it more as Nate taking all the fights people don't want. No one was clamoring to fight Bendo, RDA, Punk or Cerrone.

Post #9   8/25/15 11:56:46AM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:4,403-2,706
Chips:
Shit just got real!!

Post #10   8/25/15 12:20:54PM   

flamboyant1

Learning to Sprawl

flamboyant1 Avatar

Career:2,572-1,542
Camp: BluntForce: Resurrected
Chips:
I feel decent with MJ getting a UD in this one, with the speed & footwork, i see Nate's slow ploddy movement having a hard time finding MJ.

As someone else said, MJ will win the 1st, then get repeatedly get taunted & called a bich the remaining 2.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #11   8/25/15 12:41:25PM   

Budgellism

We The North Time

Budgellism Avatar

Career:5,868-3,366
Chips:
Good fight imo. Diaz may be 1-3 in his last 4 but he's still an excellent win to have on your record when gunning for a title shot. He's got a ton of experience with a tough skillset to deal with. Johnson might want to stand with him to prove a point but a wrestle-heavy game plan would obviously be the safest route to a win.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #12   8/25/15 1:52:17PM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Chips:
Prediction: Diaz cries a bunch, might just duck out of this fight, will def show up overweight if he makes it and get blown out in a fight he'll think he won, then cry some more.

Post #13   8/25/15 2:36:31PM